Why become a member? ×

A pointless relic

Alfie

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1319038123' post='1409197']
To be fair that's not really the same thing. These are custom builds of a ..ahem... certain competence, whereas the OP is about the current trend of wrecking something in order to make it look like something that's worth a lot more (the seller even says that) but failing.
[/quote]

You should see his other stuff, most of it consists of perfectly serviceable gear that he chops the wings off or adds bits too. The Vintage bass I mentioned before was like that, a formerly decent bass that he'd completely butchered into a crap shape and given a bad flashy paint job.

Go on, stick him on your favourite sellers list, I dare ya!

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1319023983' post='1408953']The guy doing this has zero skill or aptitude for this kind of work and is just buying up tatty basses battering them up worse in a rough aproximation of what the pros do, to make a fast buck out of people who don't know any better. That just my 2p.[/quote]

Strong words mate. I suppose you are entitled to your opinion, and yes this guy is not very good at relicing but to suggest he is deliberately involved in deception or is in any way nefarious is slander. Where's the love buddy this guy might be sitting at home reading these posts crying on his sander.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1319053779' post='1409462']
Strong words mate. I suppose you are entitled to your opinion, and yes this guy is not very good at relicing but to suggest he is deliberately involved in deception or is in any way nefarious is slander. Where's the love buddy this guy might be sitting at home reading these posts crying on his sander.
[/quote]
I have absolutely no love for the guys work but I have no opinion on the bloke himself. If anything I've been harder on the poor mugs who buy his shyte. Consequently if he can find any slander in what I have said then he's welcome to come and do something about it. I see the [s]destruction[/s] work he's doing as the bass equivalent of cut 'n' shut. He makes an absolutely mockery of the luthiery and finishing business.
I honestly hope he does see this, then perhaps he can dry his eyes, have a rethink and come back once he's learned how to do the job properly.... but somehow I reckon he just hasn't got an eye for it.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1319053779' post='1409462']
[/quote]

He, like many other relicers, may not be deliberately out to deceive with their work, but that doesn't stop someone selling the basses on as something they are not, that is why I dislike them. Relicers create objects that can be used by others to defraud. If he had offered this bass as a reliced Squier or with no headstock branding then I wouldn't have a problem.

What really annoys me is not that a buyer might think it was a vintage bass, but that someone might be duped into thinking it was a Fender Custom Shop creation due to the decal on the back of the headstock.

[quote name='Alfie' timestamp='1319059990' post='1409567']

He, like many other relicers, may not be deliberately out to deceive with their work, but that doesn't stop someone selling the basses on as something they are not, that is why I dislike them. Relicers create objects that can be used by others to defraud. If he had offered this bass as a reliced Squier or with no headstock branding then I wouldn't have a problem.

What really annoys me is not that a buyer might think it was a vintage bass, but that someone might be duped into thinking it was a Fender Custom Shop creation due to the decal on the back of the headstock.
[/quote]
if a guy walked up to me with a relicd squier and tried to pass it off as the real thing (vintage fender)I would take the geetar from him and give him a few EL-KABONGS, however if some hapless twit walked up to me and offered me the same guitar explaining it was a relicd squier i would have a look and tell him its not for me or maybe if it was a nice job and the price was right I might buy it for my boy. Teenagers love this stuff. Now to suggest that relics are evil because of their potential to defraud is like saying that the ground is evil because if you hit it hard enough it will kill ya or guns are evil because if ya shoot somebody it will at the least, hurt like a bitch. Guitars(relicd ones) are not a bad thing its the people who try to defraud some body with them that are bad, and I dont think this guy, is one of those guys, nor do I think he should be burned at the cross because of the potential for evil in the world. Alfie I follow all your posts, I think you are a very interesting guy with a lot to contribute but I dont think Im wrong here buddy. This is just some dude havin a go at makin a few quid relicin guitars and if somebody wants to buy them then good luck to em.

The actual ebay ad says "Squier", so the seller is not trying to deceive anyone. I suppose this conversation is about the future buyer and his possible intentions to re-sell it as something else.
Apart from that, the ad also states "This is a top relic project not a dodgy electric sander hatchet job". It should have been the other way round, but this is totally subjective.

[quote name='Papalampraina' timestamp='1319115145' post='1410075']
The actual ebay ad says "Squier", so the seller is not trying to deceive anyone. I suppose this conversation is about the future buyer and his possible intentions to re-sell it as something else.
Apart from that, the ad also states "This is a top relic project not a dodgy electric sander hatchet job". It should have been the other way round, but this is totally subjective.
[/quote]
agreed

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1319117778' post='1410127']
actually why am I defending this guy he could have 10 altar boys in his basement for all I know. I take it all back , "lets Lynch him boys". although the bible does say "Let he who has not relicd cast the sander". Or something like that.
[/quote]
Hahaha :)

Shippers is a well respected and supportive veteran of the Swansea music scene.

He has aged a couple of parts for my Jazz Road Worn and I was delighted with his work. While I was there he showed me some of the relics he was working on and to my eye they were very good.

From our brief meeting he enjoys his work enormously and takes great pride in doing the best he can. His customers love what he does.

[quote name='Walker' timestamp='1319185442' post='1410845']
Shippers is a well respected and supportive veteran of the Swansea music scene.

He has aged a couple of parts for my Jazz Road Worn and I was delighted with his work. While I was there he showed me some of the relics he was working on and to my eye they were very good.

From our brief meeting he enjoys his work enormously and takes great pride in doing the best he can. His customers love what he does.
[/quote]
go on you beauty.

[quote name='Walker' timestamp='1319185442' post='1410845']Shippers is a well respected and supportive veteran of the Swansea music scene.

From our brief meeting he enjoys his work enormously and takes great pride in doing the best he can. His customers love what he does.[/quote]You'll shìt twinkies if ever you see a real luthier operation then. :)

As for the quality of his work? Well, the pictures speak volumes my friend.

Have a look at this guy -> www.bravewoodguitars.co.uk/PandJbasspage.html
Still think that Shìtters is doing a good job?

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1319191775' post='1410973']
You'll shìt twinkies if ever you see a real luthier operation then. :)

[/quote]

:)

The Bravewood stuff does indeed look more realistic. Maybe Shippers should ask him what brand of power sander he uses? :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1319191775' post='1410973']
You'll shìt twinkies if ever you see a real luthier operation then. :)

[/quote]
sh*tt*rs :) this is brilliant I dont know what side Im on anymore.

If his customers like his work and he can make money out of it then good luck to him. I just wish he had a better eye for detail and didn't present instruments as something they are not. I am a fully sworn Squier lover, people should be proud to display the Squier logo.

Having looked at the pictures again, I think he has even applied a fake Fender serial number- that is just w***.

[quote name='Alfie' timestamp='1319206499' post='1411323']
If his customers like his work and he can make money out of it then good luck to him. I just wish he had a better eye for detail and didn't present instruments as something they are not. I am a fully sworn Squier lover, people should be proud to display the Squier logo.

Having looked at the pictures again, I think he has even applied a fake Fender serial number- that is just w***.
[/quote]
Don't forget the CS logo too.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1319206819' post='1411330']
Don't forget the CS logo too.
[/quote]

I think I've gone on about that enough.

The idea behind relic jobs is that you are supposed to be able to image you have (or someone has) been playing the instrument for years. That is fine, we all like to day dream. But how can you pretend it is a 1951 bass when the front headstock says "Telecaster Bass" (Late 60s-70s), the back of the headstock says "Fender Custom Shop" (90s onwards), the truss rod adjustment is in the wrong place, it isn't strung through body and custom colours are early 60s.

As I said in the OP, it's a pointless relic.

I've only just taken a look at this and really IMHO it's not [i]that[/i] bad. Sure, the back of the neck looks really off and the whole 'grime' thing seems quite pointless (I'm sure even Gallagher's strat got a wipe over every now and then), but I've seen far worse relic jobs. It's nowhere near the efforts of those who are at the top of their game, but if he improved the 'wear' on the back of the neck and did away with the grime it'd be a fair effort. It's much better than some of the Fender Custom Shop relics I've seen...

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1319271566' post='1411997']
I've only just taken a look at this and really IMHO it's not [i]that[/i] bad. Sure, the back of the neck looks really off and the whole 'grime' thing seems quite pointless (I'm sure even Gallagher's strat got a wipe over every now and then), but I've seen far worse relic jobs. It's nowhere near the efforts of those who are at the top of their game, but if he improved the 'wear' on the back of the neck and did away with the grime it'd be a fair effort. It's much better than some of the Fender Custom Shop relics I've seen...
[/quote]
So you're ok with the metallic blue Squier paint showing through beneath the top coat?

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1319276754' post='1412074']
So you're ok with the metallic blue Squier paint showing through beneath the top coat?
[/quote]
Hmmm... hadn't noticed that. It'll look a lot worse when it gets some genuine wear on the top coat as well.

Oh well, at least blue and green go together. :)