Why become a member? ×

A pointless relic

Alfie

IMHO Relic'ing is nothing more that a fad!!

In the years to come there will be hundreds, nay thousands, of dodgy looking relics about which will only be sellable to those who can either return it to natural or re-spray it.. if you're looking for a growth industry buy a sander, learn to spray and wait a couple of years..Of course, you could become a professional Hitman cos somebody should shoot the b45t4rds who are ruining all these guitars..

[b][size=4][size=5]'You will have lots of street cred' [size=4]... [/size][/size][/size][/b][size=4][size=5][size=4]Hahahahahaahhahhah.. How stupid does this guy think people are?! All people will think is that you sit all day with your fingers up your bumhole and then finger the neck of this poor guitar.[/size][/size][/size]

[size=5][b]'and no one will ever know she aint original' [/b]....[size=4]Well apart from everyone on BC. Actually, she is an original of sorts. Just like the 'Original' one I pump out every morning while reading the racing post.[/size][/size]

[size=5][size=4]What shocking abuse of a lovely guitar[/size][/size]

[size=4]I contacted the seller:[/size]
[size=4] [/size]
[size=4][color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][b]Dear shippers1,[/b][/font][/color][/size]

[size=4] I read your ad with interest - do you actually believe that what you did to this has improved it in any way?? [/size]

[size=4]He replied:[/size]

[size=4]Like all things in life (especially music) it is open to an individual point of perspective.[/size]
[size=4]I personally play a relic'd 51 bass in my band and it always gets positive comments.[/size]

[size=4]For what its worth I think that compared to a bog standard a mass produce Chinese squire Jazz bass or a P Bass it is at least individual. Whether someone likes it or not personally is down to them.[/size]
[size=4]I am not selling it as an original 51 vintage bass, the description states what it is. I make no judgement. I leave that to others.[/size]

[size=4]But at least its an individual. its different, quirky, horrid. hideous, beautiful or whatever you make of it.[/size]

[size=4]it is however no longer run of the mill.[/size]

[size=4]Shippers[/size]

[size=4]I suppose he is entitled to his opinion..I still think you should be allowed to shoot people who do this though..[/size]

Edited by TheGreek

The body is quite nice however the neck does look a tad overdone. However the guy is trying to produce something individual and unique and having read his comment in the previous post I must say I support him. It's his bass he can do whatever he likes with it, and if someone likes it and wants to buy it then that too is their business. There isn't any mis-description or fraud going on here. The only injustice I can see is the slating that this guy is getting on BC. There is a Market for relicd basses and I wish the guy good luck. That said I wouldn't buy it, but someone will and all the best to them.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1318963194' post='1408380']
Has anyone considered putting him in touch with Darth for his next project?

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230686759312?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649"]http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1555.l2649[/url]

:)
[/quote]
:)
Although he'd be asking a fortune for it seeing as it really is a genuine relic. :)

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1318980768' post='1408662']
The body is quite nice however the neck does look a tad overdone. However the guy is trying to produce something individual and unique and having read his comment in the previous post I must say I support him. It's his bass he can do whatever he likes with it, and if someone likes it and wants to buy it then that too is their business. There isn't any mis-description or fraud going on here. The only injustice I can see is the slating that this guy is getting on BC. There is a Market for relicd basses and I wish the guy good luck. That said I wouldn't buy it, but someone will and all the best to them.
[/quote]

I slated no-one, I simply aired my opinion on the matter in general (which I am quite within my rights to do) and I agree with what you wrote.

Hi Neepheid my comment wasn't directed at you specifically I simply think that some posters on BC seem to think that they have the definitive opinion on all things bass. We don't know this guys circumstances and threads like this don't help him sell his bass. I think fraud and underhandedness should be outed but some bloke trying his hand at relicing in an honest way should be left to it. This guy has had a few other relics in the past and they've been not bad. Anyway thats my 2 pennies worth.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1319023354' post='1408936']Hi Neepheid my comment wasn't directed at you specifically I simply think that some posters on BC seem to think that they have the definitive opinion on all things bass. We don't know this guys circumstances and threads like this don't help him sell his bass. I think fraud and underhandedness should be outed but some bloke trying his hand at relicing in an honest way should be left to it. This guy has had a few other relics in the past and they've been not bad. Anyway thats my 2 pennies worth.[/quote]The guy doing this has zero skill or aptitude for this kind of work and is just buying up tatty basses battering them up worse in a rough aproximation of what the pros do, to make a fast buck out of people who don't know any better. That just my 2p.

I think a quick look at these beauties puts everything into perspective:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CUSTOM-BUILT-BASS-GUITAR-L-K-/180739108368?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2a14e3ee10
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CUSTOM-BUILT-GOTHIC-COFFIN-GUITAR-L-K-/180739108112?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2a14e3ed10

This seller is local to me, it's actually quite disturbing knowing this sort of thing is going on just down the road from where I'm raising a child. He's listed some even worse horrors in the past, one was a Vintage V940 he'd butchered beyond recognition into a wreck of a bass that looked absolutely awful. Many of his "efforts" sport that lame "custom" paint job too, looks someone has eaten a jar of Black Jacks, drank a pint of milk and then thrown up over them.

At least the cack-handed relics can be sanded and restored.

Hee hee, now you're talking! The first one looks like a two-dimensional cow zombie suffering from aphasia and dropsy after accidentally sticking its head in a septic tank while covered in wallpaper paste.

The second is a sculpture celebrating the death of art, while reminding us of our own mortality through its iconic shape. The giant brain neuron artwork serves as a metaphor for the futilty of human existence. Interestingly, this item can actually be used as a coffin for a small otter should the need arise.

Edit for spelling.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1319024834' post='1408964']
I think a quick look at these beauties puts everything into perspective:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CUSTOM-BUILT-BASS-GUITAR-L-K-/180739108368?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2a14e3ee10"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a14e3ee10[/url]
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CUSTOM-BUILT-GOTHIC-COFFIN-GUITAR-L-K-/180739108112?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2a14e3ed10"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a14e3ed10[/url]

This seller is local to me, it's actually quite disturbing knowing this sort of thing is going on just down the road from where I'm raising a child. He's listed some even worse horrors in the past, one was a Vintage V940 he'd butchered beyond recognition into a wreck of a bass that looked absolutely awful. Many of his "efforts" sport that lame "custom" paint job too, looks someone has eaten a jar of Black Jacks, drank a pint of milk and then thrown up over them.

At least the cack-handed relics can be sanded and restored.
[/quote]
To be fair that's not really the same thing. These are custom builds of a ..ahem... certain competence, whereas the OP is about the current trend of wrecking something in order to make it look like something that's worth a lot more (the seller even says that) but failing.