Why become a member? ×

A pointless relic

Alfie

I am usually a fan of relics, but I wouldn't want to touch this one without hand sanitizer:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270835421411&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

Besides looking like it has been buried or used as poo rag, it is made up to be a 1951 Telecaster bass, which is a massive anachronism. The back of the headstock also says "Fender Custom Shop", why would you do that? Why not just present it as a 1968 Telecaster bass and leave it at that?

The wrecker of this particular bass also points out how the frets are in excellent condition, not exactly reliced then.

Looking at the completed listings of this seller and having observed other relicers, these instruments don't sell for much. Considering the work involved to age a poly-finished instrument, or respray with nitro and relic, I just can't see how these are viable businesses.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1318938623' post='1407900']
Why anyone would buy one of these "reliced" monstrosities when you can have your fill of old school tele headstocked, not split P shenanigans with any one of these...

...is completely beyond me.
[/quote]
There is a bandwagon which has been jumped upon "ooh look at me, my guitar is all knackered, I must be a serious musician". Ironically, it's poorly executed examples exactly like this that are ringing the death knell for the silly craze.

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1318947830' post='1408095']
MB1.
Isn't all relicing pointless?
[/quote]

Thought the same and then I played with the MIM 50s, normal and road worn. The relic'd neck had a better feel.
I think some parts of the relicing process could be useful, but not the scars/scratches/dings part.

[quote name='Papalampraina' timestamp='1318948244' post='1408099']

Thought the same and then I played with the MIM 50s, normal and road worn. The relic'd neck had a better feel.
I think some parts of the relicing process could be useful, but not the scars/scratches/dings part.
[/quote]

If they just made those MIM 50s with a nitro finish Fender would have a winner. I would love to have a bass that looked naturally road worn after a couple of decades use.

[quote name='Papalampraina' timestamp='1318948244' post='1408099']

[/quote]

MB1. :)
I do agree with the rolled played in fingerboard thing
but the use of power sanders ,chains,rumpstain and gouged paintwork is something my wallet wouldnt open for!
Roadworn to me would be Rory Gallaghers Strat and you cant do that with powertools! (although fender will beg to differ)

Edited by MB1