Why become a member? ×

*** SOLD *** Colorsound Tonebender - *** FINAL price drop £0 ***

steve-bbb

Used to have a (bass-modded) original one back in the day, really regretted getting rid...

Bought a new Colorsound bass fuzz a while back for £129 & it[i] reminds[/i] me of the sound..[i] (my original cost me £26 back then!)[/i]

Originals do seem to go for silly money these days.... £200 - £400 ish ..I wouldn't wanna pay that much, though! unless maybe it was in a smaller better made box with an LED & AC socket!... but then a boutique clone would probably be cheaper!... :)

Myself, I'd certainly expect to pay more for this than for a modern clone.

Original Colorsounds turn up on the bay for silly money, but those that actually [i]achieve[/i] over £400 tend to be the early ones or odd-jobs like Marshall-badged CS's. Then again, the RI's seem to pull a good price too. Gearmanndude reviewed a s/h OD RI (Macari's) for which his local US store wanted $400 :)

IMO you'd get best money for this off the bay (wider coverage, more guitards), but you never know.

thanks for the tips will def look into the age a bit more if there is any indicators in the box (when i can find it in the attic!)

ive pretty much given up any idea of playing six strings any more even though i was a much better guitarist than bassist but im really not a big fan of distorted bass so i cant see it ever getting any decent use by myself

not only that id be concerned gigging it as its so small (ie large pocket size) it could easily fall off the floor into somebodys pocket when you werent looking :)

when ive fished it out the attic i will take a few snaps and post them up

having a laugh?????? 90s reissue $800 FTW! :)

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Colorsound-Sola-Sound-Tonebender-Tone-Bender-MKII-/300535799442?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item45f9545e92"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Colorsound-Sola-Sound-Tonebender-Tone-Bender-MKII-/300535799442?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item45f9545e92[/url]

ok so after fetching it from the loft i inserted a fresh working battery and plugged it in and lo and behold .... not working :) i dismantled and reassembled the footswitch but still nothing - anybody have any clues as to what might possibly go wrong with these after 'not being used' for 25 years?

looks like a quick trip to an effects expert for some repairs/servicing before sale!

quick morning bump

anybody any clues in what could possibly deteriorate or fail from lack of use? when it was stashed away 20 years ago it was working fine

the only thing i can think of that might be significant is leaving it stored with the battery inside - although bear in mind too the age and this was an EVER READY SILVER SEAL with only the fraction of thge capacity of modern alkaline/lithium batteries - - quite often with those old batteries they would leak their corrosive juices everywhere but when i opened uo the box the battery was completely dry and clean

any ideas where to start much appreciated . ta :)

I've got one of these. Used to be my Dad's, from the 70s. Great sound. I use mine for a fuzzy 'violin sustain'. They will remove your low end, but great in a spilt rig, either clean/dirty or low/high. Didn't realise they were worth so much. Gonna open mine up now, see when it was made. I know it's 70s, cuz Dad bought it new back in the day. I first tried it years ago when I was 15 and it didn't interest me at all, put it back in a box. Dug it out this year, sounds sh*t hot with the Burman.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just a further edit/bump to clarify the repair

on the pic above you can see a largish cylindrical silver eletrolytic capacitor - this is the item which failed due to age and to me inadvertently loading it up with 9v battery direct without bringing up to voltage slowly - this component has been replaced with a new capacitor of the same rating/value. my friend who is the electronic engineer responsible for the repair has told me that the function of this particlar capacitor is to regulate and smooth the power supply from the battery - consequently it has no function as part of the amp/tone circuitry and does not affect the sound at all

the part was probably ok but was possibly damaged by me inadvertently just by plugging a 9v battery in to test the unit - it should ideally have been loaded up with a very low voltage and stepped up very slowly over several hours back to its operational voltage - something to do with the capacitor losing all its charge and polarity when left in storage without being used for a very long time

i dont have a six string thing any more but tested it using my squier J and trace boxer65 and it is in full working order

ta

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1322226069' post='1448195']
bump :)

and this [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190604429843?"]http://www.ebay.co.u...m/190604429843?[/url] 750 ftw? :)
[/quote]

One of my mates was selling all his pedals including one of these. I asked him how much he wanted for it.
"Mate's rates? £100 to you"
My over enthusiasm to get to a cash point made him stop and rethink.
One quick check on his smartphone later... "erm, I think I might just keep hold of it for a bit"

:)

I don't think I could have taken it off him to be honest, he needs the cash more than I need the pedal.

i spoke to a london store that was recommended by somebody - oh yeah we got loads of old vintage stuff in... "NAME" is not in at moment but hes got about 500 of those colrsound effects kicking around somehwere .... :)

ive also been recommended to ebay but to ensure including the US bidders and offer shipping

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1322226069' post='1448195'] bump :) and this [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190604429843?"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190604429843?[/url] 750 ftw? :) [/quote]

jumbo is different and more rare. It's essentially an awesome sounding big muff.

Still want your pedal though, i'm sure you have to name a price for it by forum rules ;<

• 3 months later...