Why become a member? ×

Pino on Go West...

bubinga5

[quote name='garryc300' timestamp='1393689319' post='2383393']
Go West were the best band I ever seen live...Graham Edwards on bass and the late and great Alan Murphy on guitar. the entire band were top notch session players and this was the moment I kinew my destiny was to be a Status Graphite bass player :P
[/quote]
+1

I used to go to college with Rick Drummie and we all thought he was just a real average kid who kind of played a bit of guitar. We kind of just ignored him as were the cool guys playing Led Zep and Hendrix solos ...then Go West hit the charts and out of the blue there was Rick as a pop star with us just going on hum drum life to become the next generation of accountants, dentists and engineers. Good on him - just goes to show you need get up and go to get on in life !

Go West were the best band I ever seen live...Graham Edwards on bass and the late and great Alan Murphy on guitar. the entire band were top notch session players and this was the moment I kinew my destiny was to be a Status Graphite bass player :P
[/quote]

I've been seeing them regularly since the early days, including a couple of times last year. I think the current incarnation is a very strong band (although not quite up to the Pino/Alan Murphy band when they all had a bit more energy).

Also saw Murphy in the Level 42 days and remember Heaven in My Hands had some blistering guitar work at the end. Seem to remember he was one of the pioneers, or at least an early proponent of, using the whammy bar to slide into a note. I had certainly not heard anything like his playing until i saw Go West in the 80s.

[/quote]
wouldn't go as far as destiny, but "I KNEW I WOULD HAVE ONE (OH YESSS!!)" to Quote Wayne, around that time ;)

• 2 years later...

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1318748292' post='1405696']
A Bassist called Graham Edwards also did his bit with Go West live .
[/quote]
I learned yesterday that he and his wife are 2/3 of one of the biggest song writing teams in LA - The Matrix. They came to attention originally after writing Avril Lavigne's break through hits Skater Boy and Complicated but now they're being chased down left right and centre by every A+R department in LA. He's done rather well for himself since!

• 5 months later...