Why become a member? ×

Rack Tuner Choice..........or lack of?!

Dave D

I know that this subject has been done to death over the years, but what rack tuners are there to choose from now?

The Korg models seem to have been deleted, as is the Fender. The Peterson looks well cool, but at £300...........?!!

So that just leaves the Behringer, right?

Past threads seem to suggest that it is just about 'fit for purpose', but its got a groovy rack light, and I have a Boss pedal for setting intonation etc.

Any suggestions or advice?

Apologies if this is all old hat! :)

I don't know why you'd want a rack tuner. Just my opinion of course :).

You can get a great and accurate pedal tuner for not a lot of money. I've got a Turbotuner, but the Pitchblack is good too.

Why do you want to add more weight to a rack ?

A pedal just fits into your gig bag pocket. Do you always use your rack for every gig ?

I used to use the Fender rack one but since moving away from rack gear I've gone back to my trusty Korg DT10. Much better in that as soon as I hit the switch I can tune silently and that also doubles as a mute switch.

The Fender was a really good tuner plus it used to do the Knight Rider sweep of the LEDs from left to right if it wasn't getting a signal for a certain period.

Just my opinion.. :)

Because it's one less battery to worry about, one less cable in a critical signal path if you don't have a tuner out on your amp, (even if true bypass), and if you have a rack mounted amp I suspect the weight of a rack tuner is going to make bugger all difference... And it's one less thing to forget.. :-)

[quote name='Soliloquy' timestamp='1318668785' post='1404893']
I don't know why you'd want a rack tuner. Just my opinion of course :).

You can get a great and accurate pedal tuner for not a lot of money. I've got a Turbotuner, but the Pitchblack is good too.

Why do you want to add more weight to a rack ?

A pedal just fits into your gig bag pocket. Do you always use your rack for every gig ?
[/quote]

Nothing constructive to add other than one should avoid the Behringer at all costs. I have one and it is truly pants - it had a really hard time tracking the E. I can't dismiss mine as being poorly made either, as it seems that a lot of people have had the same experience.

I have a rack power distribution thingie with a light, much like the Furman jobbie but made a company whose name escapes me right now. It begins with S. I want to say Samsung but that definitely isn't it. That has a great light and then you can run a power cable off that to power a 9V thing to power the tuner. I can now tune silently without turning away from the audience. Score!

I use a Korg and it is ok... I think my hand held is better though through the same basses as it holds the pitch better and more still.

I have another amp to rack up so I'll go the same way again, 3u lightweight case and wired in tuner.
Racks can be too deep though so a lot of carry space required....

Korg DTR. Either the 1000 or 2000. No question. I tried the Behringher one once and that was enough. Wouldn't really track the drop D very well. I must admit, when I put together my almost stupidly complicated rack setup it's basically because I hate seperate floor pedals. I'm sure loads of folk would disagree, but I find rack stuff more flexible as you can just midi chain them all and when you press a floor controller, the whole rig changes. At least, that's what mine does. Some folk have rightly stated that you can just boot the floor tuner in your pocket. Fine, Each to their own, but the thought of the battery dying would fill me with dread if it was a screw job to replace it. You just know it'd happen mid gig too.....

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1318713888' post='1405569']
Korg DTR. Either the 1000 or 2000. No question. I tried the Behringher one once and that was enough. Wouldn't really track the drop D very well. I must admit, when I put together my almost stupidly complicated rack setup it's basically because I hate seperate floor pedals. I'm sure loads of folk would disagree, but I find rack stuff more flexible as you can just midi chain them all and when you press a floor controller, the whole rig changes. At least, that's what mine does. Some folk have rightly stated that you can just boot the floor tuner in your pocket. Fine, Each to their own, but the thought of the battery dying would fill me with dread if it was a screw job to replace it. You just know it'd happen mid gig too.....
[/quote]

Plus one on EVERYTHING you said here including the bit about Drop D tuning. I use the Korg DTR2000 and it's the best tuner EVER. Probably the reason so many famous musicians use them. I picked mine up for £80 second hand (not a single scratch on it) but fully boxed. I would never consider selling it and I'm going to buy another one for my back up rig too

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1318672051' post='1404959']

The Fender was a really good tuner plus it used to do the Knight Rider sweep of the LEDs from left to right if it wasn't getting a signal for a certain period.
[/quote]

I've got the SWR version, basically the same tuner but in a different case and the LED's are blue.... I get more comments about the 'Knight Rider' strobe than my playing!!

I used a Korg DTR-1000 when I had a rack, and absolutely cannot fault it. Had it in line with a mute footswitch out on the floor and never noticed any impact on tone. Stayed permanently wired between my wireless and my head, and powered from one of those aforermention Samson rack distributers, so setup was instant.

Ended up going back to a TU-2 and slimming the 6U rack down to a small one to just hold my Ampeg - easier as my mute footswitch is still on the floor in front of me, but the readout is there too. No more turning my back on the audience every time a tune up is needed!

I've heard the Korg gear is good. I have a clip on tuner and the tuner on my TC G-Major 2, both have issues below F to low E never mind D or B!!. it's just a pigging frustrating annoying but common feature of many "guitar" tuners. We demand better treatment by all manufacturers! surely it's just as easy to create a circuit which can cope with "our" frequencies. anyhoo I have to tune using harmonics on the 12th fret.

and breathe...