Why become a member? ×

Mesa's little head

Mark_Bass

Hola guys & gals,

I've been using a Mesa-Boogie m-pulse 360 for a few years now, I'm happy with the tone for most of the time but like a lot of folk would prefer to have something a big smaller to lug around.
I've been looking at the Mesa M-pulse walkabout head, there doesn't seem to be many floating around in stores etc and for its price i rrrreally don't want to have to shell out for a brand new one as they're, like with all mesa stuff pretty pricey.
What do people make of the walkabout heads?
Is there a cheaper alternative?

Your thoughts, as always would be greatly recieved

Well the Walkabout has a really nice valve warmth to it and is very portable though not really in the class d stupidly lightweight range. I have had one for about 2 1/2 years and love it. Limited headroom compared to some of the class D digital power amp heads, but the valve overdrive is part of the character of the head. I have never felt that the head lacked volume in any setting though.

It is bloody expensive now for the head on its own, more expensive that when I bought mine as a 1x15 combo.

Cheaper alternatives? Not sure I have heard anything that comes close to it in terms of tone and portability, if you want an actual valve pre amp rather than an emulated valve preamp. For tone I would honestly say that the Harke LH500 is pretty damn great. Maybe the Orange Bass Terror for something really portable. Someone else here will probably say Markbass but I'm not that familar with them myself.

Also Mesa do an M3 Carbine which I think is a fair bit cheaper than the Walkabout.

Tubey lightweight head? TC RH450, though that's a bit like marmite, if you know what I mean. Perhaps Genz Benz Streamliners which have tube preamps. Markbass do heads with tube preamps though I haven't heard much love for those, most of the outpouring is for their solid state heads IME.

I went to buy one years ago. All set, had my mind made up after playing them but after A/Bing it in the store with an Eden Traveller 400 the Eden was much nicer to me and I bought the Eden. Years later I was in a band that had one in the studio and it's still a nice head but nothing compared to the Markbass LMII I would bring in sometimes.

So, I don't mind playing them at all but I'd never buy one.

Ive been thinking very hard about it, since I've started reading about the Genz Benz range i liked the simplicity of the streamliner, I've tried the TC RH450 and it was a great amp, though i found the highs a smudge harsh and i think ill end-up spending more time tweaking the thing than enjoying the sound, ill have to try ands find a GB stockist fairly local...

I may well have a Mesa Walkabout Scout combo for sale in 3 weeks, all depends how the AER Amp One works out. Same price as the one I paid on here a short time ago - think it was approx £800 with covers and manual. I did a podcast with it recently and the bass sounded huge. The Walkabout head is removal and capable of powering a different setup if you wish but the combo is more than good.

The WA is imo the best hybrid amp for the real tube sound bar none!
I've used all tube amps all my life & the Mesa WA is the only ano I've found that'll give you a convincing ALL tube amp sound together with valve overdrive, the works! For me the GB Streamliner didn't sound like a tube amp-didn't have the mid punch & only sounded good with particular cabs.
The WA sounds awesome in it's combo form & also great with any cab I've used it with.
Superb amp & remember, will do over 500w @ 2 ohms!

The WA is imo the best hybrid amp for the real tube sound bar none!
I've used all tube amps all my life & the Mesa WA is the only ano I've found that'll give you a convincing ALL tube amp sound together with valve overdrive, the works! For me the GB Streamliner didn't sound like a tube amp-didn't have the mid punch & only sounded good with particular cabs.
The WA sounds awesome in it's combo form & also great with any cab I've used it with.
Superb amp & remember, will do over 500w @ 2 ohms!