Why become a member? ×

Stageclix Jack wireless system

BassTool

I've been using this system for the last three weekends before reviewing it, just so that I got a chance to run it through it's paces. It's so well built and simple to use, if anyone is contemplating a top quality wireless system I'd strongly recommend they check this out :o

[url="http://www.stageclix.com/products/stageclix-jack"]http://www.stageclix.../stageclix-jack[/url]

The unit comes in it's own carry case complete with link leads, belt pouch and mains adapter. It took me less than three minutes to get it out and use it, it is [i]that [/i]simple. The Jack transmitter is a great design, it has an illuminated switch on the underside and the unit pivots around the jack plug to enable you to position it on your guitar. The jack is designed to be removed without any noise but the really neat bit for me is the fact that it uses a rechargeable battery and plugs into the base unit via a jack socket to recharge - brilliant! B) :o

I swap basses onstage and this system is perfect to do that - off with the switch, out of the bass, into the next bass and switch back on again in seconds :o

I have noticed NO drop in signal or tone, and the distance I can get between me and the receiver without any signal loss means I can go to the back of a room and soundcheck the band if required.

There are some big names using this system at the moment - no not me :) :) - and I can see it becoming very popular :)

For more tech stuff check the website above.

:lol:

Edited by BassTool

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1318184960' post='1398989']Ok silly question time...the tx is so small, and it plugs straight into the jack socket, whats the belt pouch for? Not being awkward, just confused :)[/quote]

Hey no probs. Valid question.
It's if you want to use the transmitter jack with a lead that comes supplied. Instead of plugging the jack direct into the guitar input, you can put it in the belt holster and plug the supplied link lead from the Jack into the guitar socket. Individual preference catered for ;D

I've just bought the Stage Clix 'pack', which is for active basses. The 'jack' is not good for actives as it's too near the EQ when plugged into the jack socket and you get interference. As the OP states, you just use the short cable supplied from the input socket of your bass to the transmitter,( in your back pocket, or on the strap). I rehearsed yesterday with this for the first time and have to say it's brilliant. Not cheap, but solidly made, works extremely well, and I'm no longer tripping over my own lead.

Can highly recommend.

LC

The Stage Clix doesn't require the 9v battery as it has rechargables which should last 5 years at which time you return the transmitter to the manufacturer and they replace them at a small charge and dispose of the old ones. Also, the Stage Clix includes Diversity 3 which means it will switch automatically and seamlessly between 3 channels depending on where the strongest signal is. No need to manually select the best one.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1318361291' post='1401213']
Wow this looks better than the Line 6 offerings! GAS and a half :o
[/quote]

Amazed so few Basschatters have not latched on to this compared to the Line6 alternative, which seems to have grabbed more peoples attention on these pages :) - if you are considering 'losing your lead' you'd do well to check this alternative out :)

:)

Its Most likely that it's considerably more expensive (I've seen the g30 system for £250 now!)

But the Stageclix Jack system appears to be well worth the extra money, for the added convenience and reliability. I'm definately going to save for one and place the receiver on my pedalboard :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1319409967' post='1413902']
Its Most likely that it's considerably more expensive (I've seen the g30 system for £250 now!)

But the Stageclix Jack system appears to be well worth the extra money, for the added convenience and reliability. I'm definately going to save for one and place the receiver on my pedalboard :)
[/quote]

Yes it's expensive, but check out the review below from bassgear.co.uk (which tells you in much better detail than I did) to appreciate how good this actually is:

There have been wireless systems for guitar and bass guitar for many years now. With a few (extremely expensive) exceptions, they have all been analogue systems, and this type of system has a couple of distinct disadvantages.
The first is that they all employ a piece of circuitry called a ‘compander’ (short for compressor/expander) to squash up your signal before transmission so that it will fit in the VHF or UHF band, and then expand it back again at the receiver end to try and get near what it sounded like originally. As with 300dpi to 72dpi photo’s, or wav to mp3’s, once you remove information to reduce the file size, you can’t get it back.
And the second is bandwidth. Even the more expensive models roll off the bass at around 60Hz (bottom E on a bass guitar is 44Hz; and if you’ve a bottom B string, that’s about 31Hz). So, much of that big fat bottom end you have worked hard to get doesn’t even make it to the input socket of the amp! And they have to roll off at the top end around 14-15kHz, so the subtle, higher end harmonics and sheen are discarded, too.
Now of course some of that top and bottom end gets through, albeit considerably attenuated, and the brain tries to psycoacoustically make up for what is missing. But really, wouldn’t it be better to have an un-tampered-with, full range signal to start with??
Enter the stageClix Digital Wireless System from Holland. Firstly, because it is digital, there is no compander because there is no need for one. And secondly, the bandwidth is 20Hz to 20kHz, ±1dB (that’s CD quality).
So now there’s a new, much higher standard. And a new set of rules. At a similar price to the better analogue systems.
The system uses a frequency of 2.4 GHz, which is both legal to use, and available worldwide. It is also a long way away from the current analogue bands that are due to be sold off by the British government in the Digital Television switchover, so stageClix is entirely unaffected by what happens there – future proof! No sharing channels with radioastronomy sites. No “UPGRADE PASS” Needed! No applying to Government Departments for licences.
The stageClix Jack system consists of a jack plug transmitter, with the jack itself on an articulated knuckle so that, when plugged in, the transmitter body can be turned flush to the guitar. This transmitter uses two rechargeable AAA batteries (supplied) and has a battery life of at least 15 hours straight use. When the transmitter is plugged into the receiver, the batteries are recharged quickly and automatically, 80% in 3 hours. Batteries can be user-replaced (and will be supplied FOC if within 2 years of purchase, so keep your invoice), or returned to Holland for exchange and environmental disposal.
The materials used for both the transmitter and receiver casings have been carefully selected and tested, and have proven to be “roadproof”. The shell of the transmitter is manufactured from indestructible polycarbonate (also used to make safety goggles).
The receiver is housed in a robust metal case.
The system uses a patented transmitting technique which stageClix calls ’triple-diversity’. By using three frequencies within 1 channel at the same time there’s practically zero chance of dropout or interference. Compare this with hopping from one single channel to another after interference sets in. It’s also really easy to use, there is no menu to navigate, nor an installation procedure. Plug into the guitar, switch on, and play!
The transmitter has been designed to fit almost all makes of bass guitars and guitars without needing a beltpack – although a beltpack version is available for those instruments where there is a physical problem, or interference from active electronics. A nice touch is when you withdraw the transmitter from the charger/receiver, it is automatically switched off to prevent a possible thump as you plug it into your instrument.
And the whole package comes in a quality moulded briefcase with an interior foam cut-out for protection, convenience and speedy setup. With a user guide in properly written English!
Features and Specifications:
- No audible delay (less than 2.4 milliseconds), an end to latency problems.
- CD quality from 24 bit digital converters (no compander), frequency response is 20Hz-20kHz ±1dB.
- Extremely quiet – signal to noise ratio typically 97dB.
- Small, light and strong – transmitter is about the size of a lighter, housed in a polycarbonate case. Impedance 1.5MOhm, RF power 20mW.
- Can be used legally worldwide, operates in the 2.4 GHz band: 2,400GHz – 2,488GHz
- Uses rechargeable batteries, which are (quickly) recharged when the transmitter is plugged into the receiver. Cheaper to run, and greener.
- Stompbox sized receiver in a rugged metal housing. Output impedance 1kOhm, sensitivity -82dBm. No fiddly menus – true plug’n'play.
- Long Battery Life – 15 hours non-stop playing on one charge. Fast charging: 1 hour charge = 4 hours playing.
- Battery type is Texcus 950 mAh AAA Ni-Mh 1,2 V – User replaceable, old batteries can be returned to stageClix for “green” disposal, and replacements are available at modest cost. Battery life expected to be at least 5 years.
- Virtually zero dropout – uses unique ‘Triple Diversity’ transmission, i.e. it transmits on 3 different frequencies at once in any one band.
- Flexible and practical – 12 stageClix transmitters can be used simultaneously in one venue without interference.
- 60 metres range (line of sight), approx 300 feet. Transmitter weight: 68 grammes, including batteries.
- Digital UK power supply for receiver, 100v to 230v AC, with exchangeable UK, European and USA pins.
- Suitable for all passive instruments – and many active ones, although the belt pack version is recommended for active instruments.
* Licence free worldwide. * No ‘Peak Pricing’ * No “Upgrade Pass” needed. * Not subject to OFCOM chan 69 legislation
* No sharing with astronomy channels

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1320310375' post='1425022']
What power requirement does the receiver have? Is it 9.v centre neg like your 'average' effects pedal? If so, has anyone tried daisy chaining it of a pedal power supply, or does it require a dedicated supply?

Shep
[/quote]

Standard supply will work - I use a different supply that I already had with a splitter lead to power up the Stageclix and a tuner :)

Arrived and has spent a solid day in use. FANTASTIC. Perfect tone, no signal drop out. Sits on my pedalboard & super light.

I went for the pack version in the end. Happy with the decision. Swapped the straight jack on the lead from pack to bass for a right angle and I'm good to go. Very very impressed with the performance of it so far.

Interesting. I have a basic 'bug' type wireless I bought for rehearsals & soundchecks but it would be nice to have something really reliable.

I'm in at BassGear later this week so will have a chat with Phil about them :)

http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/accessories/stageclix-wireless/stageclix-jack-system/

The only thing I found was that running it on a pedalboard (rather than atop my amp), th 1st pedal after it had to be buffered. If it was true bypass (my tuner for example), there was a huge pop when it's turned on and off. I moved my tunder to 2nd in the chain (after y octave pedal) and hey presto. Perfect.

I'm thrilled to bits with mine

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1320914674' post='1432975']
The only thing I found was that running it on a pedalboard (rather than atop my amp), th 1st pedal after it had to be buffered. If it was true bypass (my tuner for example), there was a huge pop when it's turned on and off. I moved my tunder to 2nd in the chain (after y octave pedal) and hey presto. Perfect.

I'm thrilled to bits with mine
[/quote]

Nice one! :)

One thing I did forget to mention with mine in my OP..

I had to reduce the output gain on my Warwick via the onboard trimpot (inside the guitar, not the Jack!) as my original signal was distorted - some other basses may need a similar adjustment :)

Edited by BassTool

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, after over a years use I thought I'd report back on this little beauty. Got to say that this piece of kit has been nothing short of brilliant IMO B)

Batteries still going strong, still works perfectly every weekend. So far so good :)

• 9 months later...

I've now been using this unit almost every weekend for just under two years now, and it recently stopped working at the transmitter end, the knuckle joint appearing to be the problem. Plugging a lead into my bass again was weird <_< After contacting the company at [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email] their technical depts Gerda Posch asked me to send it over to the Netherlands where the team would check it out. It was returned to me two weeks later - they replaced the transmitter with a new one and also a new battery....for NO CHARGE!! :D :D Superb service B)

• 5 months later...

Any review updates on this system. I'm looking into one purely because I'm used to the bug transmitter which helps with quick guitar swaps. I'm currently using the Samson Airline 77 which is about 8 years old now and to be honest never sounded that great, too toppy and the compander side effects are excessive.

The major question is, are these worth the money? At £370-£399 you can buy something £100 cheaper than this of similar quality. Is it worth an extra £100 for me to continue using a transmitter bug system?

Edited by Lee Restarick

[quote name='Lee Restarick' timestamp='1390564933' post='2346872']
Any review updates on this system. I'm looking into one purely because I'm used to the bug transmitter which helps with quick guitar swaps. I'm currently using the Samson Airline 77 which is about 8 years old now and to be honest never sounded that great, too toppy and the compander side effects are excessive.

The major question is, are these worth the money? At £370-£399 you can buy something £100 cheaper than this of similar quality. Is it worth an extra £100 for me to continue using a transmitter bug system?
[/quote]

I think it's worth it. It has a good range, clear signal, and on version 2 you can put it in 'cable sound' mode which slightly reduces the highs.

It's also a very small convenient receiver, I have mine on my pedalboard! It's built out of extremely tough materials so will take a lot of abuse. And the fact that you charge it by plugging the transmiitter into the receiver instead of swapping batteries is nice.