Why become a member? ×

Norman watt-roy, absolute legend!

patch006

Went to see Wilko last night with Norman watt-roy on bass.
If I could even exude may be 10% of the passion for music Norman does then I would be a happy boy. Got to meet him, all but briefly. Legend FACT......!

Edited by patch006

[quote name='LemonCello' timestamp='1318169480' post='1398726']
One of Norm's basses in on sale at Andy Baxter Guitars, the shoreline gold one. No price on it so it's bound to be bucks!
[/quote]
There have been a couple of threads on this - the latest gave an estimated price of between £10-15k...

Seen WJ plenty of times over the past 20 odd years, even brought my two lads up on them. Pleased to see they're getting even more popular after all these years (although means the gigs are getting more expensive). I liken them to eating a big, craggy home made pie (instead of some more fancy cuisine).

Highest quality and Norm is the main reason for (me) going, I find him addictive, if I haven't seen him for a while I start looking out for WJ gigs again. Due for one now I think!

It was great to see him play the other night, even though its not really my bag music wise.
I dragged along two non musical mates and they weren't too bothered about going but they were really impressed.

"hit me with your rhythm stick" is one of my most favourite bass lines.

I was lucky enough to meet him when the singer I was playing with was on the same bill as The Blockheads at Rewind in Henley a couple of years ago. I spotted him backstage, and despite trying to be restrained and cool, I was so excited that I actually blurted out:

"Great to meet you, Norman - the bass line to 'My Old Man' changed my life!"

Embarrassingly gushing perhaps, but it did - the first time I heard it, it made me realise the bass could do all sorts of wonderful melodic things, not just root and fifth. :-) He was very kind, and indulged me by chatting for a while until I calmed down...

I have to say I saw him with Wilco many years ago at Tefords Warehouse in Chester. He was having a very 'off' night. Playing was speradic and when they all stopped for him to do a solo he just tapped a few random notes and wilco etal looked a bit odd at him then kicked into the rest of the song a bit 'O well ish'. Not putting him down, he is a star and an insperation. Just sayin we're all human and can have a bad night. Pitty realy, havent had the chance to see him again :)

A

There's a great mention for NWR in the Independent today: ostensibly a review of a Wilko gig, but it's Norman that gets singled out for the highest praise:
[url="http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/wilko-johnson-and-ian-siegal-02-academy-islington-london-2368496.html"]http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/wilko-johnson-and-ian-siegal-02-academy-islington-london-2368496.html[/url]
Not bad for a bassist :)

Fabulous man I have had the pleasure of supporting and having a beer with 3 times now. when he played the Robin the other week his Jazz sig bass gave up the ghost and he had to use the sound guys 70's P which luckily he had at the venue. I didn't think he carried a spare ... incredible.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1318349302' post='1400997']
Seen him with the Blockheads half a dozen times and he never fails to impress me, my fave living bass player.

I still can't play the brill bassline to Hit Me... properly :)
[/quote]
When Jools was interviewing WJ the other week on Later and they chatted about Norman WJ mentioned that 'Hit Me..' still remained a challenge for bass players and he's not wrong!