Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Little Bastard 550 - it's here!

franzbassist

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1333088484' post='1597068']
And I shot this one for the LB30 yesterday...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjuLMqgk4Qk[/media]
[/quote]

Great! Now I can hear what the amp I bought 3 weeks ago sounds like... Only had a chance to plug it in once :unsure:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjuLMqgk4Qk[/media]
[/quote]
Great vid/review thanks Gareth & I have to agree with all you say about the shift switches & tone controls. The bright switch doesn't seem to have much effect unless you have treble maxed & you might not get the change from a 15" speaker alone. I find it more noticeable (just) through my 1x12 + 4x8 stack.

I think the LB sounds perfect with a P-bass & even better with a P-bass on flats B)

Cheerz, John

PS Could you stick this vid in the review section? It might be easier to find for future ref.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1333097610' post='1597196']
Great vid/review thanks Gareth & I have to agree with all you say about the shift switches & tone controls. The bright switch doesn't seem to have much effect unless you have treble maxed & you might not get the change from a 15" speaker alone. I find it more noticeable (just) through my 1x12 + 4x8 stack.

I think the LB sounds perfect with a P-bass & even better with a P-bass on flats B)

Cheerz, John

PS Could you stick this vid in the review section? It might be easier to find for future ref.
[/quote]

Hi John

My fretted P wears rounds becuase I use it for a Weller tribute band, so loads of Foxtonesque picking going on - it sounds the nuts! For my other band, all my other basses wear flats and they sound fabulous through the amp.

Good idea about the review section, so I've added the video to the thread already there to save duplication.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjuLMqgk4Qk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjuLMqgk4Qk[/url]
[/quote]

Good job once again Gareth!

Bizarrely Ashdown have just posted the worst demo video I've ever heard for the same amp...

Edited by Bigwan

Yes that seems to be the way Ashdown have been working from the start! I'm not knocking the designs - I've used an ABM for 10 years - but there seems to be what might be called a familiar thread running through their range... Others might might say that that thread looks more like the titanic's mooring ropes...

There are differences, but I'm not sure how great they are.

The common link to all the amps is the "dual tube" (ECC83 and ECC82) preamp, which I believe is essentially the same for the 427 Small Block, Drophead 200, Spyder 330/550, LB30 and LB550 (I assume) models. The differences come in the eq and power stages.

• 2 months later...

Again, parts of it look very cheap, the EQ especially.

I bought the LB, and loved it, but it wasn't loud enough for our gigs. I would have considered this if it was available, but I think the price is way off TBH.

Don't Markbass make a similar model in the Randy Jackson signature? Cheaper too, IIRC.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1339354218' post='1687345']
Don't Markbass make a similar model in the Randy Jackson signature? Cheaper too, IIRC.
[/quote]

The Markbass TTE heads have tube preamp, compression, and eq, but the power sections are abalog (500 watt version) or digital (800 watt version).

[quote name='basskit_case' timestamp='1339400459' post='1687773']
Off topic I know but does anybody gig the LB30, has it got sufficient power?
[/quote]

I gigged mine and it was plenty loud enough for my needs, but I guess it depends how loud you play/cab size/PA support etc... :blink:

Cheers

Gareth

Pub gigs, with no FOH support.

At times it couldn't cope with my drummer, and any attempt to increase the volume resulted in the valves breaking up, at which point it's getting quieter but distorted.

A change to lower gain Preamp valves meant I could physically turn the volume dial further without breaking up, but the volume was lower overall.

Sounds amazing though and gives a really warm, spread-out sound, and if it's any consolation we are a loud band.

If you decide to go ahead at any point I've got the matching cab that went with the UK-made ltd edition heads, the LB212, which I'll be putting up for sale soon. Would be a nice pairing and certainly gets the best from the LB.

I found mine wasn't loud enough at my first gig with it - it broke up too early. I've tried lower gain preamps but the problem remains. Dave Green at Ashdown thinks there might be a problem and is going to look at it. It wouldn't need to get that much louder to be fine, so I'm optimistic.