Why become a member? ×

Digital Tuners - Have They Killed The Vibe?

discreet

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1318102186' post='1398183']
Why would playing in tune be a bad thing??? :)
[/quote]
I'm not saying it [i]is[/i] a bad thing, I'm saying that a very subtle push or pull here and there tuning-wise can make things more interesting sonically, rather than obsessing about having every instrument spot-on all the time. :)

Edit: spelling.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1318100414' post='1398153']
About 150 years ago I seem to remember even name bands shambling on stage and proceeding to tune up in front of the audience, sometimes at length and with varying degrees of success depending on how drunk/stoned/tripping/mad the musicians were at the time.
[/quote]
How old are you?! :)

:)

On topic, no, they haven't.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1318100760' post='1398166']

You've not seen my band then - fretless bass, slide guitar, lap steel guitar, voices, so digital tuning guarantees nothing.
[/quote]

Sounds great - when's your next gig? (As one Brightonian to another).

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1318108638' post='1398261']

I remember reading in a biography of Paul Weller that when the Jam recorded All Mod Cons or maybe Setting Sons, their producer Vic Coppersmith-Heaven, I think) said "I wished Paul wouldn't insist on using Rickenbackers. They just won't stay in tune!! We must have wasted 3 whole days just tuning them."
[/quote]

Another problem Vic Coppersmith-Heaven had with Weller was getting him to take the gum out of his gob before vocal takes. That's what he told me anyway...

Edited by Panamonte

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1318113017' post='1398319']
EDIT: BTW, Ginger who?
[/quote]

Oops - another senior moment :) must've had Cream on the brain :) Mitch of course!

Speaking of which, some of Jack Bruce's old stuff is all over the place :)

Cheerz, John

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1318100414' post='1398153']
About 150 years ago I seem to remember even name bands shambling on stage and proceeding to tune up in front of the audience, sometimes at length and with varying degrees of success depending on how drunk/stoned/tripping/mad the musicians were at the time.

[/quote]

I give in, I was trying to find you in the Guiness Book of records as the oldest living person but you name's not there. Do you go by any other names? :)

I remember at 19 tuning up with the guitarist and everything was hunky dory then we got a keyboard player and suddenly we're both out of tune and it was awful

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1318152232' post='1398484']
I give in, I was trying to find you in the Guinness Book of records as the oldest living person but you name's not there. Do you go by any other names? :)
[/quote]
I give in too, I was exaggerating for effect. Let's say it was about 40 years ago. :)

The answer to the OP's question, of course, is ....... possibly. It all depends on how you define 'the vibe' and how important it is to you. My opinion, for what that is worth, is that guitars that go out of tune are a total pain in the arse.

And what will happen when we have guitars that have in-built automatic tuning, with small motors linked to an inbuilt digital tuner? Personally I'd like to see that, but I know that a lot of folk wouldn't... but vive la difference, as the man once said.

Rob

[quote name='Beefyeggo' timestamp='1318153865' post='1398509']
And what will happen when we have guitars that have in-built automatic tuning, with small motors linked to an inbuilt digital tuner?
[/quote]
Or guitars which virtually play themselves, à la [i]GarageBand[/i]? But that's a whole different thread right there. :)

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1318153795' post='1398506']
I remember reading that the sound engineer for ABBA used to triple track all of the instruments, and put one track just slightly out of tune and the other slightly out of time. I think that's one of the things that made them sound so interesting and unique.
[/quote]

This is similar to what a chorus pedal does. It emulates several instruments playing at the same time. It what you'll get naturally from a brass line. I suppose frets and keyboards make the instrument more likely to be in tune with itself.

Thinking about it I can't now see how being in tune could make the music sound more clinical. There's far more going on than just notes. The timing has to be spot on as well.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1318101979' post='1398180']
....I think the mind-boggling dullness of some bands is nothing to do with the tuning. Out of tune they'd be even worse....
[/quote]
+1

How can being out of tune improve anything?

[quote name='Beefyeggo' timestamp='1318153865' post='1398509']
And what will happen when we have guitars that have in-built automatic tuning, with small motors linked to an inbuilt digital tuner?
[/quote]
We already have them - Gibson make a range of guitars that do exactly that.

In my experience it takes musicians longer to tune to each other by ear than a quick run through an electronic tuner so how taking longer about it somehow improves the 'momentum' of a recording session I don't know. As for live situations I cringe when I see a band come onstage and then waste what seems like an eternity going throug that ''Ere Fred, give us a G will ya?'' rigmorole.

Cheap digital tuners a few decades ago would have saved me from "The bass I never should have sold"[sup]TM[/sup]

I allowed the guitard to convince me it was my bass that was going out of tune half an hour into every gig - not his guitar that spent the rest of the week tucked behind the sofa snuggled up next to the radiator!

I don't think that tuners 'kill the vibe' or anything. I think that where problems arise is when people
rely on the needle on the tuner rather than their ears. If you play with a real piano,you are far better
off tuning to that rather than use the tuner because it's likely that its not going to be perfectly in tune.
As far as I'm concerned,it doesn't make any difference to the 'vibe' if you are all in tune,be that
'correctly' in tune or not,as long as you are in tune with each other.