Why become a member? ×

ACG Recurve

Scoop

After meeting Alan from ACG at the North West Bass Bash last sunday and having been very impressed by both him and the ACG bass that was in attendance I followed up on Monday and started choosing woods and body shapes almost immediately.

I was very impressed with the look of a spalted beech topped, black limba bodied recurve which I saw in the ACG site gallery and which belongs to Paul.

(This one: [url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Gallery/104/"]http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Gallery/104/[/url] )

So I ordered one; mine will be pretty much identical to Paul's except his has a macassar ebony 'board and I've gone for a highly spalted maple one.

First impressions of ACG are brilliant. They haven't even got my deposit yet but already I'm getting a handful of e.mails a day with pics of wood blanks and combinations of woods to choose from. Most impressive... and compared with getting a bass custom built in the USA by the likes of Roscoe, Alan is VERY competative on price. He undercuts them by some margin.

So the woods I have chosen...

[attachment=6659:My_ACG.jpg]

from left to right: (marked D1) spalted maple fretboard; Black Limba body blanks; spalted beech top for bookmatching.

More details to follow.

Edited by Scoop

[quote name='ped' post='161073' date='Mar 20 2008, 08:41 PM']Excellent! Alan struck me as a really nice bloke and I am sure he is a pleasure to deal with. G'warn my son[/quote]

The whole dealing with Alan thing has been very good indeed. Even at this very early stage I'm confident that Alan's the sort of bloke who does what he says he will do, he does it when he says he will do it, and he's also a very very bloody good luthier.

I'm chuffed, me. And I still have the whole pregnancy to go. My bass isn't even a bump yet.

Nice one Scoop :)

I had a brief (and unplugged) play on Peter's ACG at the bash and it felt very comfortable to wear, not to mention looking great - if I was in the market for another bass I would be considering asking Alan to make me something.

Hope it all works out as planned, look forward to seeing in the flesh too...

Alan will look after you, he'll keep you informed and the bass you end up with will be world class for a real world price.
I've just got my Recurve Singlecut back after some tweeking and it is by far the best playing and sounding bass I've owned. And it looks stunning too.
I know what you mean about Roscoe, if you wanted anything like an ACG spec bass from them you would be looking at the thick end of £5000, I think not.
I only live over the water from you so if you want to come and see mine get in touch. It's left handed though!
Cheers Steve.

It's a shame I wasn't at the bash judging by your specs I was all geared up to go but had to travel home that weekend from uni. Best friends 21st as well no consideration for my bass playing needs.

If your ever in manchester your more than welcome to come over and play my recurve, and the harlot. Liverpool's just down the road only a mear train ride away bit of a walk on the otherside but your more than welcome all the same. Plus not that biga cost compared to the bass for choosing shapes and getting an idea of the sound. Invitation is more than open to anyone else passing through or around manchester as well.

Still love my basses haven't had another bass player play them and not want one after either. They go down very well.

Alans superb to deal with great guy, always happy to spend time chatting through ideas or working hard to sort something for you.

Good luck with the build nice to see another acg in the making.

O just realised Im Paul btw just incase my rambling above didnt make the link between Sugden, and paul on alans gallery :)

Edited by Sugden

[quote name='Sugden' post='162377' date='Mar 23 2008, 08:57 PM']O just realised Im Paul btw just incase my rambling above didnt make the link between Sugden, and paul on alans gallery :)[/quote]

You are indeed the Paul in question. I saw your bass on Alan's site and just fell in love. I appreciate your offer to come and play but that'd feel like having an affair with my fiance's older sister. Or something.

I think I'll probably avoid everything ACG until mine arrives as I don't want any preconceptions of how mine should feel and sound before I actually get my hands on it. But I genuinely appreciate the offer. Cheers.

dave.

I took the Recurve to rehearsals tonight for the first time as it has been back to Alan's to have a couple of tweaks, so even though I got it last year, this is the first outing with guitars and drums. It's a beast. It cuts through like a laser and after four hours on a strap it left no aches or pains and it's a six string.
It's also the first time I've played a six string with other musicians so I was apprehensive of making loads of cock ups but because it plays so well and is brilliantly designed my fingers seemed to go where I wanted them to.
In a nut shell it's f***in' ace.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

More work completed...

neck and fretboard are now glued up.

And the body and neck in situ (the headstock needs lots more work so the neck's not fixed in place yet). This is just to get an idea of what it'll look like when completed.

I think it's fair to say that I'm officially enthused.

• 1 month later...

Well, it's coming along at a good rate now. Almost all of the woodworking is completed and it just needs its lacquer coats, hardware and electrics. The woods have been wiped with white spirit here to give an impression of what it will look like when lacquered.

Edited by Scoop