Why become a member? ×

Depressing things your bandmates say.

arthurhenry

4 minutes ago, Stylon Pilson said:

Funnily enough, when I originally posted about it on this site 4 and a half years ago, you specifically were berating me for being so pessimistic!...

Just stating facts, s'all.
And I can't remember what I had for breakfast last Sunday, so four and a half years... 9_9

Peace. :friends:

Edit: I'm minded of a delightful anecdote from John Aubrey's 'Brief Lives' concerning memory...

'This Earle of Oxford, making of his low obeisance to Queen Elizabeth, happened to let a Fart, at which he was so abashed and ashamed that he went to Travell, 7 yeares. On his returne the Queen welcomed him home, and sayd, My Lord, I had forgott the Fart.'

:lol:

Edited by Dad3353
  • Haha 4

Singer came for an audition, turned up in a Transit with his own PA, effects and equalisers in a multi-unit tower, the whole shooting match. Performed brilliantly - we couldn't believe our luck. Mentioned he had a few gigs booked already as a solo artist. No worries. Shook hands, arranged to get in touch to sort out scheduling conflicts.

Next day:

"So ... are you booked on dates x, y and z?"

Checks diary ..."Yeah, sorry."

"How about these ones ... a, b and c?"

"Oh, no, I'm out on those nights already. Actually, my diary's full every Friday and Saturday for the next two years."

• Like 1

Another singer comes for an audition (same round). Gave him 5 or 6 covers, and a couple of weeks to learn them.

He: "Do you have a printout of the lyrics?" Good opener, and should have been obvious which way this was going to go, really.

Us: "Strangely enough, yes, there's copies of them over there. OK, shall we start with "Jailbreak"?"

He: "Er ... I didn't get to that one."

Us: "OK, can we try "Local Boy", then?"

He: "Well, we could, but I didn't get much chance to listen to it."

Us: "Breaking The Law?"

He: "Couldn't find that one on Youtube ..."

Us: "What do you fancy trying, then?"

He: "Um, do you know "Enter Sandman"? That's one of my best ones." Said tune wasn't on the list we gave him.

Us: "Great, let's go for that."

We proceed to play, he misses the vocal entrance and then spends the rest of the tune looking confused, grunting half-lines, and scratching his head.

He: "That wasn't too bad. My girlfriend says I'm a great singer. It'll be a lot better next time!"

There wasn't a next time.

Edited by HengistPod
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

"we should get a keys player!"

Me: "I quit."

Context: have never met a keys player who isn't some weird sociopath who probably has bodies under their patio. And have never met one who can actually play their instrument.

Keys guy in one of my bands may have all the above faults he may not. If he ever turned up to a bloody rehearsal we could find out 😒

However, fantastic player just joined another band, offered to chip in to studio costs for a session we'd booked before he joined, never interferes with my frequencies, transformed a good band into a great one overnight. I'm thinking of not lifting any of his patio slabs then....

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

"we should get a keys player!"

Me: "I quit."

Context: have never met a keys player who isn't some weird sociopath who probably has bodies under their patio. And have never met one who can actually play their instrument.

I'm currently playing in three bands, two of which have keyboard players, both very talented and non-sociopathic. One of them does stray into my territory somewhat, but has responded well to me warning him off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I don't really pay a lot of attention to what my band members ( 7 years ) say about anything. 

They're half my age and came into music completely different than me.

They don't want to learn from me and I don't want to learn from them.

Blue

Sounds like a band I would not want to be in. No give, no take, no learning.😖 

Edited by Staggering on
  • Like 3