Why become a member? ×

Depressing things your bandmates say.

arthurhenry

You have to have pretty close agreed..and adherred to..parameters or it isn't going to end well.
Good Comms is the biggest thing to making it easy.

Get it done well or don't bother would be my take on it so I'm not likely to work with anyone not on that page...
Everyone has a bigger call, but just don't mess anyone around any more than you have to..and then those one off disasters are likely survivable

I know these are old, but I was in a band where both of these happened.
[quote name='Bassistclem' timestamp='1317981679' post='1396854']
Keys player: "can you stick to root [s]fifth[/s] on [s]this tune[/s] all tunes, I'm playing the bass line."
[/quote]
[quote name='mcgraham' timestamp='1317982076' post='1396856']
Anything that a band leader with communication skills at the level of small children for whom English is a brand new third language stops a rehearsal to say:

"Alright lets stop there - there are a few really important things to remember that are coming out here, such as, I think, to make sure that, when we kick in, that we cover the parts, and give it a flow, and not rush it, but not do it too slowly, and generate some momentum with the piece rather than no momentum, and the vocals need to be so tight, rather than loose, so that we're all singing the same thing, but just then I don't think we were, or perhaps we were, but I get the feeling perhaps we weren't....hmmm I'm not sure..."

??!?!?!?!?!?? HOW CAN SOMEONE TALK SO MUCH BUT SAY SO LITTLE!?!?!? IF YOU'RE NOT SURE DON'T OPEN YOUR MOUTH IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!

[size=6]AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH![/size]

[size=6][size=4]Ahem.[/size][/size]

[size=6][size=4]That is all. You may resume your original discussion.[/size][/size]
[/quote]

Then the keys player started to tell the drummer to hit the beat at the right points in the lyrics; after the right words.... I walked. I'd rather play in my lounge at home.

Edited by Grangur

Been suffering from permanent exhaustion coupled with unexplained weight loss for the last few months. After a busy year, the last gig we did was our last one lined up for the year which was a welcome relief.

2 days later they're on Whatsapp canvassing 3 possible dates between now and Christmas, including a corporate do with a finish time of 3am :(

It's a group chat so it's to check if everyone can do it. I don't want to be the one to say no without a valid excuse as our singer works a bunch of part time jobs, one of which was working in a bar which has just closed down so he could use the extra money.

We're a 6 piece so there's usually someone else who has other commitments so we may end up playing none of them anyway!

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1476985134' post='3159040']
Been suffering from permanent exhaustion coupled with unexplained weight loss for the last few months. After a busy year, the last gig we did was our last one lined up for the year which was a welcome relief.

2 days later they're on Whatsapp canvassing 3 possible dates between now and Christmas, including a corporate do with a finish time of 3am :(
[/quote]

Well, it's two whole months until the end of the year... I'm not surprised the band is looking to have more gigs in that period, you can't blame them for that. I presume you'll have a say before the dates are confirmed, but I understand you don't want to be the one putting the brakes on... Still, before the band, I'd be more concerned about your health. That is more important than any band. I hope you're going to your doctor and figure out what's wrong. I hope you get better soon!

A band member, who was a terminal scruff, turned up to a wedding gig in an expensive West London hotel dressed in jeans and stained tee shirt. 5 minutes before we were due to start, he was still wearing therm.

Me - "Better get changed. We're due on in 5"
Him - "What's wrong with what I'm wearing?"
Me - "It isn't really wedding attire"
Him - "This isn't a fashion show. They come to listen to the music"
Me - "No. They came to get married. We're just part of the occasion, like the catering, flowers, photographer, etc. It ain't a concert and we're not the main event. Now get changed"
Him - "But this is all I have with me"
Me - "Well stand at the back and stay out of the light"

"Yeah, I do know most of the words, but I just like to have this enormous black music stand with an A4 folder full of printed lyrics in front of me to act as a prompt."

"I don't need a setlist, thanks. I've put all the lyrics in order in my folder."

"I know the words to this one. Do you mind if I just put this enormous black music stand in front of you for a while so I can dance around a bit?"

"No, I have learned most of the words. I won't need the enormous black music stand in a couple of gigs time." (repeat at monthly intervals)

"I didn't know any of these well-known classic rock songs with simple lyrics before I joined, you know. And it's only been 6 months."

"Do you mind if I play a bit of keyboard on this one? Obviously I can't have it in front of me or people will knock into it. Can I put it in front of you?"

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1476983506' post='3159022']
Last week I played a song all the way through in the wrong key. It was one of those stupid keys like B major. By the time I'd figured it out it was too late. Nobody said anything. I don't think they noticed. That was a bit depressing.
[/quote]

Technically not a valid post as they said nothing :-)

Singer;

"If I come in a bit late, will you be able to slow down until I'm with you?"

Her:"How do I know when to come in?" Me: "It's after 8 bars" Her: "What's a bar?"

"I won't be able to practise at home at all"

Edited by solo4652

This thread goes back to 2011! Just realised I commented on it 4 years ago. :D

Anyone here's one:

Band: "Let's do this one."
Singer: "I don't know it, how does it go?"
<put on music>
Singer: "Yeah, it's a nice tune but I've never heard it so no one will know it."
Band: "Everyone will know it."
Singer: "Yeah, but I don't, so I'll have to learn the words and everything."
Band: "But we have had to learn the music to every tune we play."
Singer: "But you are musicians, it's easy for you."

Edited by TimR

"I have not rehearsed the set list at all but we can play a completely different set of songs that I know" , in the wrong keys for our female vocalist as well!

"I don't drive if it might be frosty" , well mate we are not making an 80 mile round trip to pick you up.

Did you bring your Gretsch? (Early Sixties covers band) No, just the Les Paul and Marshall.

"Oh I am going on a three month trip" starting the week after our first gig, with six months of gigs booked.