Why become a member? ×

Depressing things your bandmates say.

arthurhenry

[quote name='vax2002' timestamp='1335545389' post='1633018']
Guitarist: "Would it work if we stripped it back to basics"
...If thats code for learning the song instead of trying to guess it, then the answer is yes...
[/quote]

It's code for, 'I'm wasting everyone's time and should emigrate to Australia.'

Edited by discreet

Got one yesterday. Green Onions as 2nd half opener before the singers come out, done it before but just checked with our relatively new youngster guitarist that he had the guitar parts ok (the off beat 'chang' in the first versey bit, the riff that tracks the bass and the gist of the staccato solo etc); 'yeah, its just generic blues, its easy'.

I made him sit and listen to it.

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1317980051' post='1396828']
Arrrgh!! we had several calls last week to do that as an encore, only I knew it, so sadly the email I sent my band this week said exaclty that!! Oh the shame!
[/quote]

f*** Bryan Adams!!

[quote name='merlin' timestamp='1335605382' post='1633577']
girl singer a few years back, quote...as Im the singer and front person I should get half the gig monies..end quote..she left soon after.
[/quote]
The answer to that is: 'OK, you're the band leader, so you can do all the organising, getting gigs, pay for rehearsals etc., and we'll just charge you for our time. These are our hourly rates, if you don't like them get someone else.'

Edited by EssentialTension

Me" it was really nice to get the fretless out for a few songs"
Keys"oh you had your fretless, I didn't think you would bring it as there's not much room to stand it on the stage"
Me, thinking and muttering under my breath"that was one of the two basses next to where you stand and that I changed over between songs in front of you"

[quote name='merlin' timestamp='1335614894' post='1633722']
...not American, why have you worked with one like this?
[/quote]

Ha ha - no, but the current mrs discreet is a yank and shows a similar level of control-freakery and expectation of entitlement. As do many of 'em, I've found. :happy: American bass players excepted, of course... ;)

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1335876669' post='1637354']
Great rehearsal = bad gig. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

And vice-versa. Superstition of course, but it's happened so many times I'm beginning to think there's something in it... :happy:

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1335876669' post='1637354']
Great rehearsal = bad gig. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1335877110' post='1637360']
And vice-versa. Superstition of course, but it's happened so many times I'm beginning to think there's something in it... :happy:
[/quote]

Yep, same here. I think a couple of cock-ups in the last rehearsal before a gig focuses you a little bit more than a perfect rehearsal does. IME + IMO.