Why become a member? ×

Depressing things your bandmates say.

arthurhenry

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1327790348' post='1516956']
From a guitarist: "I can't play songs x, y and z because I don't know chords and I can't be arsed learning."
[/quote]

Christ, it beggars belief doesn't it? Why bother to play an instrument in the first place? What is he doing it for?
(I presume it's a 'he' - a female player wouldn't waste her bloody time like this). ;)

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1327839386' post='1517389']

Think maybe he's just trying to tell you something.

What were the songs ?
[/quote]

We originally wanted to play

She Bangs The Drums - The Stone Roses
Rain - The Beatles
My Generation - The Who
Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix
Go Let It Out - Oasis
I Fought the Law - The Clash's version, and
House of the Rising Sun

But because of our chordless wonder we ended up doing

Paranoid - Black Sabbath
Dreaming of You - The Coral
Breaking the Law - Judas Priest
For Whom the Bell Tolls - Metallica
Teenage Kicks - The Undertones
Dream - The Everly Brothers
Blitzkreig Bop - The Ramones

We were saved by power chords and our rhythm guitarist, and the gig went really well. The thing is, he's technically not a bad player, he just learned by himself in his bedroom copying songs from tabs (mostly shredding and tapping) without taking the time to learn and understand what he was playing when the occasional chord did appear.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1327842827' post='1517491']

Bloody hell you know it's bad when someone Can't/Won't learn Oasis on the basis of the chords used :unsure: :unsure:
[/quote]

I know, if the bassist knows more basic guitar chords than you, somethings not right. He refused all of my efforts to show him even the easiest ones.

When you join a function band and they say at the start they just want you to play bass. You think it's too good to be true and then a few gigs/rehearsals in and you get;

'Can you do a couple of backing vocals' to which you agree.

You then get 'this would be great with some backing vocals *glare at bassist*' every time a new song is introduced to the set.

Then you once they know you're a pushover you get;

'these songs would be great with double bass. Why dont we buy one from the band funds!... And you can pay us back out of your share'

How about 'NO!'

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1327842127' post='1517470']
We originally wanted to play

She Bangs The Drums - The Stone Roses
Rain - The Beatles
My Generation - The Who
Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix
Go Let It Out - Oasis
I Fought the Law - The Clash's version, and
House of the Rising Sun

But because of our chordless wonder we ended up doing

Paranoid - Black Sabbath
Dreaming of You - The Coral
Breaking the Law - Judas Priest
For Whom the Bell Tolls - Metallica
Teenage Kicks - The Undertones
Dream - The Everly Brothers
Blitzkreig Bop - The Ramones
[/quote]

Second list > first list. :P

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1327856097' post='1517710']
" The Rolling Stones are the best band in the World. I think so, so does my wife and our daughter and all her friends".

That's from our booted lead singer/guitarist and band creator who refused to play a Snow Patrol track because nobody's ever heard of them :(
[/quote]

Is Snow Patrol a band then ??

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1327856097' post='1517710']
" The Rolling Stones are the best band in the World. I think so, so does my wife and our daughter and all her friends".

That's from our booted lead singer/guitarist and band creator who refused to play a Snow Patrol track because nobody's ever heard of them :(
[/quote]

He should have refused on the grounds that they're the most insipid, bedwetting piece of beige crap he's ever heard. :)

Edited by chaypup

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1327751979' post='1516181']
"the CD of the new recordings that you burnt for me doesn't work"

Time passes.

"

"Oh , it does work, I'd put it in the player the wrong way up."
[/quote]

hah, I gave a CD to a band mate once and he managed to slide it over his CD deck in the car, so it dissapeared, but wasn't in the actual CD slot. I didn't see it happen so was well freaked out, and when he managed to put "another" CD in the slot and play it, it was as though something mystical had happened. 2 weeks later he'd fished it out and didn't seem to find it as hilarious as I did! (this was a bassist by the way :) )

I hate the "Oh, well we played it like that in my last band" line.Clearly implying you`re a pretentious martinet for being unhappy with several wrong and badly timed chords.
So far I`ve managed not to say " I couldn`t give a f*** what shonky bloody methods your [i]pub [/i]band used.
We are going to play it properly",and have stuck to suggesting there [i]may[/i] be one or two inaccuracies in there..
:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Our guitarist at a gig:

'I kept f**king up because one of the stage lights was shining on my guitar. I didn't want to turn it off in case it looked unprofessional.'

My rely:
Err...not much point in looking professional if we sound like cr*p because of your numerous mistakes.

Now if he had taken a step to the left or right, the light would no longer be on his guitar so really it was a poor excuse. The real reason is he had not picked up his instrument since the previous gig and assumed he would remember.

My bass tutor taught me this:
Practice doesn't make perfect....it makes permanent!