Why become a member? ×

Shuker Custom Fretless....SOLD PENDING. Off to Copenhagen.

overwater#1

Hi Guys,

I've not had this long.. but as explained in my other forsale thread, i'm a bass trombonist primarily, and have put in an order for a damn expensive hooter (Thein F Contra), as an investment/career move say. Very important for me. As a result, I really need to sell some gear to help fund it.

I will kick myself for selling this bass, as i've had it for a very brief time. I couldn't resist getting her, such a stunning bass! Didn't dissapoint, plays like a dream. So easy. Oozes that that fretless sound. Very versatile! I welcome people to try this bass, as it really is very, very good!!

As new condition, I can't find any marks of note, certainly no dings or anything!!

Built in 1998 for James Crofts.

Zebrano body. Wenge/Maple 7 piece. Neck. Santos fingerboard..very hard, but warmer sounding than Ebony. Brass Nut. Ebony Headstock. EMG P/J Pickups... sounds superb!!! A new Shuker 18v preamp. ABM bridge. New Dunlop straplocks.

String spacing is adjustable from 16.5 - 19mm. I have it set at 18mm.
Width at nut is a very easy to play 57mm
Finger board is almost flat
Strung with Ti Powerbass strings
Comes with a Yamaha case
Any questions, please PM me.

This bass is with me in Manchester, and can meet here at the Royal Northern Coll of Music, or in Blackpool.

I could catch a train to drop the bass of if need, but not too far away!

Postage is available, as I have a box suitable.

I really need to get my money back on the bass to put into a very expensive move for me, and as I don't really want to sell it in the ideal world, no offers please.

£780 collected.

Postage extra.

Many thanks all. PM with any questions. She's a sublime bass, and i'm going to really, really regret selling it.

I reserve the right to withdraw at any time, which may be soon.

Very best wishes,

Matt

EDIT...Photo's

I am truly gutted to be having to sell this bass. Just photographed her, and had a little play. Just awesome. At this price, is an absolute bargain!! Surely worth more, but I have to honour the price I paid for the bass a month back. Really is as new condition, I can't see any marks of note on the bass!!!

Edited by overwater#1

No....

This is my old bass and Matt is a great guy so buy with confidence.
I can also answer any questions about this wonderful bass as have owned it for the last year and put in a NEW EMG J pickup and the latest Shuker preamp only 10 weeks ago.

Marc

Edited by voxpop

Much appreciated Marc! Thanks!

I hope I don't have to sell the bass. I'm really still getting into it, and loving every second of it. Just have to prioritise things I guess.

If things work out, then I shouldn't have to.. Only selling if theres real interest.

If someone is interested, please PM me to work something out! :)

Oh.. Wednesday. Lottery. That may be the answer!!!

I would be very very interested in this, if I can just manage to work out a way of getting the money back to the UK (I'm currently in Cape Town). They don't make it easy for us! They're happy enough to allow our money from the UK here, but not the other way round!

I'll be in touch if I can work something out? Do you find yourself in Liverpool often? My folks stay in North Liverpool.

Cheers
G!

Thanks for your PM bud. I'm still looking into it, but don't think it'll be likely to happen anytime soon?

Hope you get a sale! Thats one beaut of a bass, and for the money, an absolute give-away! As I say, had I of had the money back in the UK, I'd have grabbed this straight away!

I'll let you know if I sort anything! Otherwise, someone grab this and put me out of my misery!

Regards
G!

Not to go off topic Matt, but what made you choose the Thein F contrabass?

I've heard great things about them, and i really like the BBb Thein (i prefer double slides you see!)

I'd be tempted to go for a Rath f BUT i've almost certainly not played on as many horns as you,

P.S
Matt is a great guy to communicate with!

Have you tried a Thein BBb? I was offered a Miraphone. Read lots of stuff on contras, and I think in this day and age, F is definitely the way forward. More contra players use an F contra, and know a few people who tried BBb's and moved to F's. I've heard they're quite unwieldly and hard to play, with more of a tuba-ish tone. Not practical for modern day use. An F has more of a trombone-ish tone, just the right amount of core, but still a fat sound. They're also more suited in pitch to playing modern repertoire, register etc. Usually i'm a 'bigger is better' kinda guy, so would've gone for a BBb.. but the fact that most of the contra players I know in the world primarily use an F, is good enough reason for me to go for an F.

Check out this... Christian on contra with the Philarharmonia. Superb!

[b][url="http://www.vimeo.com/16993477"][color=#3b5998]http://vimeo.com/16993477[/color][/url][/b]

Very, very excited about getting it!! The Thein guys make stunning instruments, and are really nice people too! Can't wait to get it!!

Spent some time on a Rath actually, college has an R90. Very nice, beautifully built instrument, but not for me. I know loads swear by Raths, but I really don't click with them. So many guys at college lately have switched from Raths to other horns. It seems they're not so in favour at the moment. Look around the tenors at college, and theres about 14 88H's. Only 2 Raths out of 20 of us. I use an Edwards bass, and love it.

Will let you know how it goes...can't wait!! :)

Thanks for the kind words btw!

Edited by overwater#1

[quote name='overwater#1' timestamp='1318113661' post='1398325']
Have you tried a Thein BBb? I was offered a Miraphone. Read lots of stuff on contras, and I think in this day and age, F is definitely the way forward. More contra players use an F contra, and know a few people who tried BBb's and moved to F's. I've heard they're quite unwieldly and hard to play, with more of a tuba-ish tone. Not practical for modern day use. An F has more of a trombone-ish tone, just the right amount of core, but still a fat sound. They're also more suited in pitch to playing modern repertoire, register etc. Usually i'm a 'bigger is better' kinda guy, so would've gone for a BBb.. but the fact that most of the contra players I know in the world primarily use an F, is good enough reason for me to go for an F.

Check out this... Christian on contra with the Philarharmonia. Superb!

[b][url="http://www.vimeo.com/16993477"][color=#3b5998]http://vimeo.com/16993477[/color][/url][/b]

Very, very excited about getting it!! The Thein guys make stunning instruments, and are really nice people too! Can't wait to get it!!

Spent some time on a Rath actually, college has an R90. Very nice, beautifully built instrument, but not for me. I know loads swear by Raths, but I really don't click with them. So many guys at college lately have switched from Raths to other horns. It seems they're not so in favour at the moment. Look around the tenors at college, and theres about 14 88H's. Only 2 Raths out of 20 of us. I use an Edwards bass, and love it.

Will let you know how it goes...can't wait!! :)

Thanks for the kind words btw!
[/quote]

Yeah i played an F and BBb Thein back to back, to me they felt very simlar but the BBb was a bit more effort and did sound a little flabby and not that focused Trombone sound we love! As a regular use instrument and if you switch regularly (which lets face it, any working Bass trombonist will most likely be!) an F makes more sense but i i just love the BBb's for some reason!

As you say, the F makes more sense but i'd probably get a BBb anyway :)

Are you getting one with a Bb valve or? (I know they have a few options!)

I played a Rath prototype contra BBb which i really liked, the guy form Rath at the shop said it was designed to have less curves which is why a trombone sounds as it does as it's mostly straight (same reason it creates the highest pressure levels from the bell and trumpet players statistically lose their hearing more than other orchestra members :o )

Edwards are very nice horns, i was taught by the head of brass studies at an American university (i can't remember the university, but he was in the UK for a month, his name was Dr. Todd Something-or-other ) and they have a great sound. I think i'd personally go Rath as i really enjoyed the ones i played and you can get a massive saving as a student haha!

It seems most Tenor players have an 88H when they leave school, which i personally always found odd as 9/10 1st Trombonists i know don't bother as they often play so high everything is first second or third position! haha :o

When you get it you should put up a N(CB)TD thread :)

No problem matt! Plus this serves as an Off topic cheeky bump anyhow

Also that video is great! Thanks!