Why become a member? ×

Gewa ideale jazzbass

epoxyjazzbass

[url="http://www.gewamusic.com/uk/produkte/streichinstrumente/kontrabasse/gewa-kontrabass-ideale-jazzbass.html"]http://www.gewamusic.com/uk/produkte/streichinstrumente/kontrabasse/gewa-kontrabass-ideale-jazzbass.html[/url]

I' m still searching my first upright bass
I will play jazz/walking/bebop stuff and a very few arco stuff

I Have a good opinion of an hybrid gewa I have tried with the stock setup in a shop

This jazzbass is a 3/4 with a small body and include a pickup solution
Perhaps it can be the "ideale" jazz upright with a a good sound (but probably quiet) acoustically and a better amplified solution than a normal upright...

Any advice ? Perhaps someone know this model
Thanks by advance

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='epoxyjazzbass' timestamp='1317810888' post='1394760']

Perhaps it can be the "ideale" jazz upright with a a good sound (but probably quiet) acoustically and a better amplified solution than a normal upright...

Any advice ?
[/quote]

I've no experience of the model, but it seems reasonable to suggest that you really want a play on one of these before committing to buy. To my mind, the sound's all going to hinge on the quality of strings and pickup...

I'm sure there's a trade off between acoustic sound and physical size of amp required for the styles you're talking about - Historically, most of the jazzers I've met tend to have small GK combos with conventional sized basses. The amp is used to reinforce rather than produce the sound (if you see what I mean?!) Going this way, you'd be putting more emphasis on the sound of the amp - well on the way into EUB territory. Not that there's anything wrong with either approach - all personal preference.

Thanks for the answer

[quote name='fonzoooroo' timestamp='1318607955' post='1404338']
it seems reasonable to suggest that you really want a play on one of these before committing to buy
[/quote]

Well impossible to try something in my area...
But if no one have one of this gewa model I will not jump on it, this is sure

[quote name='fonzoooroo' timestamp='1318607955' post='1404338']
I'm sure there's a trade off between acoustic sound and physical size of amp required for the styles you're talking about - Historically, most of the jazzers I've met tend to have small GK combos with conventional sized basses. The amp is used to reinforce rather than produce the sound (if you see what I mean?!) Going this way, you'd be putting more emphasis on the sound of the amp - well on the way into EUB territory. Not that there's anything wrong with either approach - all personal preference.
[/quote]

I understand this good advice

For me,the idea is to have a good sound acoustically (when practicing), and still have that sound and technique when an amp is used

I don' t think a little reinforced (little amplified) sound can be used in every situation. If I play with batterie, saxophone, piano and trumpet, the ampflified sound will cover the acoustic sound of the DB because of the volume of the entire group and there is nothing wrong with it

But well, returning to the subject, if no one have that model I suspect it is not necesseraly the good choice
Probably I will never know

• 7 months later...

I stumbled on a Gewa "Ideale" today....it's a cute little 3/4 acoustic with decent sound and very good playability. It's loud enough without amplification...I didn't get to try it amplified. It's all solid wood...but cheaper than Eminence or Kania. I suppose it's pretty rare...it's listed in the EUB Database as Gewa Jazzy.