Why become a member? ×

Paul Geary

chardbass

Just a quick mention about Paul Geary- saw Nik Kershaw the other day with Paul Geary on bass.
Really, really nice player- played super-solid with only a few flashes of what he was keeping back chops-wise (naturally, "Won't Let The Sun Go Down" was one such moment.)
Seriously wouldn't want to busk that gig- Kershaw is the modulation master.
Never heard an Overwater bass live- very nice. Modern, clean and articulate- no wonder they're popular with TV and theatre players.
Checked his website out and saw that he played on George Michael's cover of "As" (seems Paul gets all the crap gigs!!)- such a good bassline. Always wondered who played it.

It seems Pauls Geary and Turner have it sewn up.

Edited by chardbass

• 1 month later...

Paul Geary is from Bradford, back then he was fresh out of a top bass school in America, graduating with honours and teaching from Yamaha bass school and from home.

I was privileged to have a few lessons from Paul and who in fact got me reading bass properly by getting me to employ the pattern recognition system (as he chuckled at how I was finding it difficult using the counting system). Even back then he was very professional and had a great tone.....then few years later, he is playing for the biggest names in the business, a consumate professional indeed.

Kalim

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I was working as a waiter the other weekend on a function organized by a cricket club in a countryside near Swindon, there was a very good band, I chatted with the bassist a bit. Today I bought the new issue of BGM, where Paul Geary is mentioned a couple of times, and I think it was him! He played a 4-string jazz-style white Overwater bass (said that it was the first time in a long time that he was giggin with a four string) and an Orange rig, Terror Bass head and two of those funny 2x12 cabs that look like 1x12s (again, he said it was his first time gigging those). The guy sounded and played seriously good. They played some old r&b and soul covers, and it was a pleasure to listen to it.

[quote name='such' timestamp='1341697439' post='1723032']
I was working as a waiter the other weekend on a function organized by a cricket club in a countryside near Swindon, there was a very good band, I chatted with the bassist a bit. Today I bought the new issue of BGM, where Paul Geary is mentioned a couple of times, and I think it was him! He played a 4-string jazz-style white Overwater bass (said that it was the first time in a long time that he was giggin with a four string) and an Orange rig, Terror Bass head and two of those funny 2x12 cabs that look like 1x12s (again, he said it was his first time gigging those). The guy sounded and played seriously good. They played some old r&b and soul covers, and it was a pleasure to listen to it.
[/quote]

That sounds like PG - I was lucky enough to play that OW of his in a lesson a couple of weeks ago :).

The name of the band that he plays with (when he's not playing alongside Nik Kershaw or Mary J. Blige in Europe) is called The Revelators. Haven't seen them as yet, but plan on doing so very soon. :)

• 2 weeks later...