Why become a member? ×

Yamaha Trb 1005 vs Spector Euro Lx5 vs MusicMan Stingray 5 HH

ozbilbass

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1317678188' post='1393340']
Well, glad that's all cleared up now...... :)
:)

[/quote]
[quote name='dr Szelma' timestamp='1317677722' post='1393333']
I don't dis EMG - they're OK, but you have to be aware what are they made for and when you want to use them, I would say 8/10 I'd rather be using passive pickups on Alnico magnets. When EMGs are better than my favourites? For example 1) double thumbing - Victor Wooten style (because of the dimension where they work), 2) playing in places where you have bad electricity - they will be better, 3) another one is adding J EMG pickup to passive P pickup and mixing it - usually I CANNOT STAND mixing them together, my point of view is the only one in a time - but it sounds more less ok mixed passive P with active EMG J. But when they're rubbish? Answer is very easy - 1) every studio situation, 2) adding some distortion to them, 3) harmonics - all of that because of the poor midrange. I'm sure that there will be some people who'll fully disagree with this but really, I'm no bothered, it's their thing how they sound. I'm sharing my knowledge (not myths, everything what I'm writing here was already checked in professional studio) and don't want to force anybody.
[/quote]

I've spent time working in a proffesional studio mixing and working specifically with the stringed players and EMGs have never sound "rubbish" to me, And distortion is where they really have alot of clarity and sparkle as far as i can tell, but hey what would i know? :)
It's as much my word against yours here so it's opinion Vs opinion as mine were check in a pro studio setting too. (And keep in mind i'm no EMG fanatic, otherwise i'd have them in a bass!)

Harmonics is tricky, everyone likes them differnt like tones in general, the EMG harmonic sound is very glassy with a scooped mid but the regular emg tone comes out scooped as it has a lot of bass and treble but the mid range isn't poor it's quite strong but that effect is kind of lost. Plus mids and pickups is tricky as it depends on bass and the "canvas" it starts on (ie the wood though pickups make up most of the sound usually)

Also, calling something rubbish? Sounds like dissing :o

[quote name='dr Szelma' timestamp='1317496907' post='1391347']
depends on music you play.
If it's plastic music from the 80's, then treat yourself with spector
other than that - go for Yamaha. I owned japan trb, it was very nice bass, extremely well built.
spector IS NOT GOOD for metal music!!! and active emg pickups ARE NOT GOOD for other style than Victor Wooten double thumb, as a sound engineer I have to say it - they sound like sh*t when I have to put distorted bass in the mix...
And now If I may suggest something:
If you want to play heavy music - go for G&L
If you want to play pop - Lakland on Bartolini pickups or Stingray (but there is a lot of "deaf" MM stingrays on the market, beware! - I owned 4 of them and only MM Cutlass from 1979 was ok, rest of them made between 1993 to 2009 was deaf :) )
rock, reggae, pop, jazz and soloing - Jazz Bass (apart from reggae music focus on bridge pickup instead of both)
If you have no clue - Precision Bass. IF PBASS IS NOT FITTING IN YOUR BAND, CHANGE YOUR BAND NOT BASS! it's most versatile bass ever made :)
Hope this helps :)
[/quote]

Comedy is not your forte.

Wow, this thread seems to be moving waaaaaaaaay off-topic! :)

Bringin' it back... you need to try the three basses yourself - really try them. I play a Spector 5 primarily, and love it. I've owned a Yammy, and IMHO it didn't "feel" as good as the Spector. Technically it was easily the equal, but it just wasn't for me. I've never tried a EBMM bass (maybe I'm missing out :) ).

HOWEVER... I have some wierd preconceptions on how I want to sound, which the Spector meets. I have no doubt that the Yamaha (or the EBMM) could meet someone elses needs better / equally. Getting past the artists endorsements and recommendations of mates and experts, sit down with the bass and play it. If it's your ideal bass, it'll talk to you.

[quote name='dr Szelma' timestamp='1317677722' post='1393333']
you have to apolgize me, I'm from different country. That's the reason sometimes it can be difficult to understand what I mean, but I'm doing my best! In my first language we describe an instrument as a "deaf" if it's rubbish, well, it's very difficult to explain, but you should know what I mean, like saying "jazz bass neck is fast" is very hard to explain but people know what that means. Anyway, depends on West Midlands Bass Bash date I may pop in with my gear :) We can have a small chat as well :) We'll (hopefully) come to the UK within first week of November.
I don't dis EMG - they're OK, but you have to be aware what are they made for and when you want to use them, I would say 8/10 I'd rather be using passive pickups on Alnico magnets. When EMGs are better than my favourites? For example 1) double thumbing - Victor Wooten style (because of the dimension where they work), 2) playing in places where you have bad electricity - they will be better, 3) another one is adding J EMG pickup to passive P pickup and mixing it - usually I CANNOT STAND mixing them together, my point of view is the only one in a time - but it sounds more less ok mixed passive P with active EMG J. But when they're rubbish? Answer is very easy - 1) every studio situation, 2) adding some distortion to them, 3) harmonics - all of that because of the poor midrange. I'm sure that there will be some people who'll fully disagree with this but really, I'm no bothered, it's their thing how they sound. I'm sharing my knowledge (not myths, everything what I'm writing here was already checked in professional studio) and don't want to force anybody.
[/quote]

Chill Doc'

Honestly, it's my bass and I'll play what I want, the way I want. Studio engineers are not the arbiters of "good and bad".It isn't the job of a bassist to make the studio's life easier, it's down to the studio to provide the sound that the customer wants. I know it can sometimes be difficult and that you're expected to work miracles for a bunch of self-important gits, but they pay the bills.

Comments regarding the pickups aren't helpful if we don't start to discuss the strings, and Vic Wooten is so much more than his thumb!

Personally, I use EMG pickups and like them. Everything else I own is passive, and that probably tells its own story...