Why become a member? ×

NOT GREAT NEW BASS DAY - EBMM Ray HH Matching Headstock

Musicman20

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1318867731' post='1407137']
Which guy? one from the neck making team, or one from the body making team? or the neck finishing department? or the body finishing dept? or the guy who bolts necks to bodies? or the setup team?
They probably just got their pay, the bare minimum EB could get them to work for, and went home.
[/quote]

Just like Fenders MIA, MM are probably made in the USA by Mexicans (not knocking the Mexicans)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1318868347' post='1407152']

Just like Fenders MIA, MM are probably made in the USA by Mexicans (not knocking the Mexicans)
[/quote]

Are you suggesting that perhaps they should change "MIA" to "MBM"?...
Anyone seen my coat? :)

Eude

I would imagine there is a little bit more pride at EBMM than the Fender factory but only a little, also I think the Mexicans are well skilled I have no issue there, the interior guys that did the cars for Boyd Coddington hot rods were my favourite bit of that show, such skill and all in their heads.

Top and bottom is that good one is worth the money and a bad one is not. We have been down the road of cheap guitars being so well built etc many times but they just dont feel the same IMO

Hang on a minute, are we saying that all 'real' Americans and English folk are white Anglo Saxons? The US and United Kingdom are multi cultural societies and US citizens include a fair few people who originated in Mexico I would imagine.

I actually reckon that EBMM quality is higher and more consistent than Fender but they are also more expensive. Being American they are far less likely to respond to criticism in any constructive way. It reminds me of the now non existent British motorcycle industry who had the same attitude, and died in the face of Japanese competition.

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1318885729' post='1407481']Hang on a minute, are we saying that all 'real' Americans and English folk are white Anglo Saxons? The US and United Kingdom are multi cultural societies and US citizens include a fair few people who originated in Mexico .[/quote]

Well my comment was meant as a joke. I put no importance on where or who makes my gear, as long as it works.
In fact other than a SUB last year and a Fender P5 (and not including the MIA's I had and returned) I don't think Ive ever owned any other basses made in the USA.

Unfortunately for me, the (probably) longest thread I've started isn't very positive!

Never mind ay!

Anyway, update. I am not going for a Classic Stingray, mainly because the last one I tried wasn't exactly what Im looking for, and to be honest i'd rather have the 2EQ in a modern standard body (eg no mutes, with contours, less weight on average, etc). Plus, the Standard 2EQs are MUCH cheaper, and I know they work for me. The Classic's look great, don't get me wrong, and the sound is spot on, but as I'm after a rosewood board mainly (and a Classic with rosewood means less figuring) and I don't need the extras (the mutes are a cool feature, but I wouldn't use them much).

So, I am actually taking a go at a....wait for it.....Bongo. They also have a few HH Rays with a normal headstock, so Im looking at a deal for both and taking the MHS price off the Bongo. So far, it looks like despite all these problems, I am getting these items at very very good prices.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1318935474' post='1407832']
Unfortunately for me, the (probably) longest thread I've started isn't very positive!

Never mind ay!

Anyway, update. I am not going for a Classic Stingray, mainly because the last one I tried wasn't exactly what Im looking for, and to be honest i'd rather have the 2EQ in a modern standard body (eg no mutes, with contours, less weight on average, etc). Plus, the Standard 2EQs are MUCH cheaper, and I know they work for me. The Classic's look great, don't get me wrong, and the sound is spot on, but as I'm after a rosewood board mainly (and a Classic with rosewood means less figuring) and I don't need the extras (the mutes are a cool feature, but I wouldn't use them much).

So, I am actually taking a go at a....wait for it.....Bongo. They also have a few HH Rays with a normal headstock, so Im looking at a deal for both and taking the MHS price off the Bongo. So far, it looks like despite all these problems, I am getting these items at very very good prices.
[/quote]

Oh f*** me Gareth, don't say I didn't warn you, a Bongo yes it has a nice sound, I know cause I've had one with the piezo which really saved the day. but that's one usable sound and one only that's good out of it, with the pan in the middle both humbuckers full on, the rest is bloody boring and the pickup pan is really cack, no use at all. You get one only sound out of it and it's a booming great sound I give you that, but one you can only use in one contest, one style, i.e. attack and destroy but for the rest no subtelty, not a lot of soul from it. You'll soon get bored of it and your band will hate you, so will any sound man. Remember the 18V preamp is on permanently no option to go passive on the Bongo, so no chance for you to get a nice vibey mellow vintage tone out of it. On your head be it! :)

As I've said to you if you must get one of the modern EBMM basses go for a Big Al SSS ffsake! :) But it's your money and I see another EBMM going back to sender from you, mark my words.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

I've ticked the box of Big Al 5 SSS, already got one. I wanted a Bongo as soon as I started hearing quality demos of them.

Odd, yes, distinctive, hell yes.

From memory, I thought you praised the Bongo a lot when you had yours?!

Anyway, it had to be something exciting and new. The price was too good to ignore as well, due to my waiting times etc.

My band tend to like anything I do sound wise. It's nice to mellow out with a P bass, but its also nice to liven things up.

I was going to get a 'superjazz', but to be honest, I wanted something more ballsy. My Fender Jazz does the superjazz as much as I need when I engage the Aguilar TH pedal, so that's another story haha.

I looked into the Reflex, but it was a lot more money. I'd rather wait to see what happens with the Game Changer.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1318940345' post='1407947']

Oh f*** me Gareth, don't say I didn't warn you, a Bongo yes it has a nice sound, I know cause I've had one with the piezo which really saved the day. but that's one usable sound and one only that's good out of it, with the pan in the middle both humbuckers full on, the rest is bloody boring and the pickup pan is really cack, no use at all. You get one only sound out of it and it's a booming great sound I give you that, but one you can only use in one contest, one style, i.e. attack and destroy but for the rest no subtelty, not a lot of soul from it. You'll soon get bored of it and your band will hate you, so will any sound man. Remember the 18V preamp is on permanently no option to go passive on the Bongo, so no chance for you to get a nice vibey mellow vintage tone out of it. On your head be it! :)

As I've said to you if you must get one of the modern EBMM basses go for a Big Al SSS ffsake! :) But it's your money and I see another EBMM going back to sender from you, mark my words.
[/quote]
Not exactly the swiss army of basses you used to think it was then. :) [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/78040-recommend-me-1-bass/page__p__751165#entry751165"]http://basschat.co.u...165#entry751165[/url]
[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1266601209' post='751165']
[b]MusicMan Bongo 5HH does everything, swiss army knife type of bass.[/b]
[/quote]

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1318941474' post='1407984']
Not exactly the swiss army of basses you used to think it was then. :) [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/78040-recommend-me-1-bass/page__p__751165#entry751165"]http://basschat.co.u...165#entry751165[/url]
[/quote]

No it wasn't, much to my disappointment. Fact is... look at my basses, see which one have stayed and which ones have been sold on? You see.. we try, until we think we have found the best only to realize that some are difficult to place in a real band situation despite the initial impression we get, the 3 Dingwalls for instance are win win win same as my two new Fender American Standard and the PRS will be cremated with me. The rest are in my will for my son to inherit when I kick the bucket. :)

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1318941838' post='1407998']

No it wasn't, much to my disappointment. Fact is... look at my basses, see which one have stayed and which ones have been sold on? You see.. we try, until we think we have found the best only to realize that some are difficult to place in a real band situation despite the initial impression we get, the 3 Dingwalls for instance are win win win same as my two new Fender American Standard and the PRS will be cremated with me. The rest are in my will for my son to inherit when I kick the bucket. :)
[/quote]
Haha I love the majestic plurals. :)

...or is it Gollum.

It's not so much the change of mind, it's the complete "volte-face", where on one hand they describe it as:

"an amazing instrument that is making a lot of competitors (both owners of other instruments and those who make them) green eyed and jealous"

And then at a later date:

"the rest is bloody boring and the pickup pan is really cack, no use at all"

Fran, you don't like EBMM anymore, you make your feelings pretty obvious in every thread that ever comes up, but this isn't about you, this about Gareth trying a bass that he's said he's always liked the look of. I'm sure he's capable of making up his own mind about it.