Why become a member? ×

NOT GREAT NEW BASS DAY - EBMM Ray HH Matching Headstock

Musicman20

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1317981261' post='1396846']

I think it's awful that folks should be too scared to post anything on that Ernie's Balls forum slightly negative even with legitimate reason for fear of the repercussions from a pack of feral fanboys or how "the Führer" might react.
Not a healthy way to do business, smacks a bit of Nazi Germany if you ask me...
[/quote]

I think its more a case of not worth it as the posts will be deleted and the poster banned. Just a waste of time. Ive seen someone get told off by a mod just for talking about another manufactures strings and comparing them to EB's.

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1317981261' post='1396846']

I think it's awful that folks should be too scared to post anything on that Ernie's Balls forum slightly negative even with legitimate reason for fear of the repercussions from a pack of feral fanboys or how "the Führer" might react.
Not a healthy way to do business, smacks a bit of Nazi Germany if you ask me...
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. I wouldn't go as far as the analogy to Nazi Germany though. It's surely time for EBMM enthusiasts to start up a forum where reasoned debate and comment can be made without having to deal with censure and banning. EBMM instruments are great and enthusiasts deserve a forum where they can be free to criticise when that is warranted. A company that is scared of criticism seems to me to be a company that won't listen to their loyal customers!

I sincerely you get a satisfactory solution to this problem Gareth. All the best!

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1317981891' post='1396855']

I think its more a case of not worth it as the posts will be deleted and the poster banned. Just a waste of time. Ive seen someone get told off by a mod just for talking about another manufactures strings and comparing them to EB's.
[/quote]

Regardless of Gareth's recent problems, that kind of crap is more enough to put me off Musicman as a brand, the company appears to be run by complete elitist arseholes.
I used to think it'd be pretty cool to have a Stingray, it's certainly been on the GAS list for a long time, but this thread has convinced me that the sensible option would be to have something custom built to sound like a one, and pocket the change (of several hundred pounds)...

Eude

[quote name='jimmyb625' timestamp='1317980789' post='1396838']
You could also try to PM 'Ming' on the EBMM forum, he's taken over from Pete Lumney.

As for Grand W's advice, personally I'd steer clear from sending PM's to Sterling, or starting any threads on the forum. You've been on there long enough to know why.
[/quote]

No mate I didn't tell him to PM Sterling directly nor to make a fuss on the ebmm forum, I told him to pm Aziah and ask her to make him (big pooper) aware of the issue and that she and Sterling have to appreciate his action not to make a "furore" openly in the forum but to have a humble approach which shouldn't go unlistened and needs a prompt solution.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

Last night I got my Ray 5 HS out. Same colour scheme except the headstock.

That bass is 99% perfect. Seriously well made. Very light, excellent paint, tone to die for, and the attention to detail is spot on.

The neck pocket is so precise and clean its unreal. This is how my other 3 are as well. My current Ray H 3EQ is literally perfect.

I know they can do it right. Its just a shame that problems seem to come to me.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1317982698' post='1396866']

No mate I didn't tell him to PM Sterling directly nor to make a fuss on the ebmm forum, I told him to pm Aziah and ask her to make him (big pooper) aware of the issue and that she and Sterling have to appreciate his action not to make a "furore" openly in the forum but to have a humble approach which shouldn't go unlistened and needs a prompt solution.
[/quote]

Yep Ive took this route. I won't put anything on their forum. I have a feeling they don't even know about the old body/new neck.

Maybe im missing something but i cant see a problem with the body being old. It might have been sitting in a stock room waiting for an order to come in. Im pretty sure the bodies and necks wont be made together. Not commenting on the other issues, just the date on the body.

Just thinking out aloud.

That's definitely what Fender would do. Obviously bodies and necks sit around all the time. The reason why it concerns me is because:

A - EBMM specs are listed in full on the boxes. This points to Aug 2010 complete build (eg the bass was ready for sale and sent on this date). This also ties in with their serial number records....and they also don't state matching headstock.

B - EBMM don't swap and change things. Once a bass is built, if a part is faulty, they replace that, and then it goes on their records. That's what it seems like they have done here...older bass, new neck. Im guessing previously it was just a normal HH Rosewood board, but they didnt have a matching headstock version in, so instead of ordering a new bass, they have put a neck off another bass onto this to make one they can sell. Which took seven months and might explain why it doesnt fit right and the marks near the neck pocket, (in the paint).

It's kinda why I came to this conclusion. They make them to spec, so why would a bass built over a year ago take seven months?!

Weird.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1317981891' post='1396855']
[/quote]

I think I'll start a Gibson bass forum and delete all dissent and ban those responsible. Then I'll watch the tumbleweed go by :)

I used to rate the Musicman brand and I really love my 'ray too but after reading this thread and hearing about the <1mm gap in a neck pocket I have now realised that they are in fact a shower of useless c*nts.... and fascists too. I think we should all take our Stingrays, Bongos and SUBs out into the streets and burn them to teach the Nazis a lesson.... until all that's left are Fenders and Fender-a-likes. C'mon Basschat who's with me? Form an orderly line. Torches on the left. Burn 'em, burn 'em, burn 'em!

*snap* Sorry did I say that out loud. :)

:)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1317983922' post='1396888']

I think I'll start a Gibson bass forum and delete all dissent and ban those responsible. Then I'll watch the tumbleweed go by :)
[/quote]There are already quite enough Gibson bass fora as you well know. You were the newest member to join most of them.... about 4 years ago. :)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1317982698' post='1396866']

[/quote]

Ah, my mistake, read it wrong.

I'm not sure that it's an EBMM problem though. From what Gareth has said and backed up by the serial number, the bass was made before he'd even ordered it, so unless there's some weird CERN type of faster than light communication going on, the bass hasn't been made to his order. Somewhere along the line it looks like a fast one is being pulled...

[quote name='jimmyb625' timestamp='1317986582' post='1396938']

Ah, my mistake, read it wrong.

I'm not sure that it's an EBMM problem though. From what Gareth has said and backed up by the serial number, the bass was made before he'd even ordered it, so unless there's some weird CERN type of faster than light communication going on, the bass hasn't been made to his order. Somewhere along the line it looks like a fast one is being pulled...[/quote]

I have heard that since Pete Lunney retired, those left at S&T can't tell their arse from their elbows :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1317988086' post='1396988']

Does this mean you now realise the Sterling is the only MM that isn't worth burning?
[/quote]
Haha maybe. :)

It just scanned better when I cynically thought it to myself... but then it came out loud... and I killed the thread... like the bass burning fasc.... Och no I can't do this any more :)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1317983867' post='1396887']
That's definitely what Fender would do. Obviously bodies and necks sit around all the time. The reason why it concerns me is because:

A - EBMM specs are listed in full on the boxes. This points to Aug 2010 complete build (eg the bass was ready for sale and sent on this date). This also ties in with their serial number records....and they also don't state matching headstock.

B - EBMM don't swap and change things. Once a bass is built, if a part is faulty, they replace that, and then it goes on their records. That's what it seems like they have done here...older bass, new neck. Im guessing previously it was just a normal HH Rosewood board, but they didnt have a matching headstock version in, so instead of ordering a new bass, they have put a neck off another bass onto this to make one they can sell. Which took seven months and might explain why it doesnt fit right and the marks near the neck pocket, (in the paint).

It's kinda why I came to this conclusion. They make them to spec, so why would a bass built over a year ago take seven months?!
[/quote]

I would imagine that the problem lies with the distributor rather than the manufacturer. There just isn't a rational explanation for why EBMM would send out what appears to be a year old, parts bass. The most likely scenario to my mind is that the bass you ordered arrived in this country damaged, so Strings and Things swapped necks on a bass they already had in stock to fulfil your order and returned yours for repair.

At this money you should get a refund or acceptable replacement as the workmanship is not up to the required standard.

Having said that, bodies for mass produced guitars such as these are stockpiled as are necks until they are finally mated up. The necks are not made for particular bodies, nor are the pockets machined for a particular neck. Whether this is the first neck mated to the body or not is not relevant, who knows how many are?

I always understood the serial numbers on MM basses were pretty vague (or was that the Pre-EBs?) but the only real way to confirm things is to pop the neck off (understandably you'll not be prepared to do that at this stage) and see if the dates, if marked, are miles apart. If so, does that matter? Unless it's concern about the resale value of a bass who's serial no. implies a year earlier than expected.

I does sound as if someone has put components together to match your spec and not assembled it particularly well. Surely this is how pre-orderd basses are prepared? If this was in the UK or US I'm not sure is important, just that its not done very well.

I'd also add my sympathy at your disappointment, I've only ever bought one new decent bass, a Jaydee over 25years ago and gave the shop a list of work to make it acceptable, which they did perfectly. Your bass should be perfect, lots of that £1500 has been spent on QC (including other basses returned as imperfect) which has not been delivered.

8 pages! Woah. My most popular thread and its a problem thread haha.

Had a bad weekend, girlfriend in A&E yesterday (luckily home now) etc etc, so obviously puts things in perspective, but I am keen to get this sorted asap. The bass is being picked up early next week and decisions will be made, depending on what happens.

EBMM USA have been in touch and are investigating immediately.

I understand it might not look that bad re: old body/new neck, but for a BRAND NEW £1500 instrument, it needed to fit correctly and at least be listed with the serial and bass description.

My Dad looked at it today, knows nothing about guitars/basses, but basically said 'bodged job'. He guessed its exactly what we said, theyve put a different neck and it doesnt marry up correctly.

Anyway, it will hopefully be sorted asap...need this problem to move on now.

Sorry to hear of your woes and I'm hoping that it's sorted to your satisfaction. I would imagine that having 'invested' so much time planning the specs and waiting for the bass it's doubly frustrating.

I think we can get lost in the custom vs Fender/MM/Sadowsky debate. They are all just basses, some good some not so. In the mix they usually sound 'just like a bass' and many of the punters don't know the difference between a bass and a 6 string anyway.

I owned the lovely 'Rita' (an orange Sterling known to some of us) and fitted a Nordstrand pickup in her, much to the disgust of the EBMM crowd. The Ric forum is the same and it seems many Americans are blind to the possibility that their products aren't perfect every time. Patriotism gone mad or over sensitive insecurity?

I've a Sterling 5 HS now and it is quite beautiful, it's light and sounds great and will probably be my main gigging bass BUT, it's slightly but significantly neck heavy :) (I'm not good with neck heavy basses). It's presently parked up until some Ultralites arrive and I'm fairly sure that they will restore the balance (although the rear of the headstock will be a mess of holes). I've had precious little comment on the EBMM forum although I expected to be told I was mistaken. This problem isn't unique to my Sterling 5 either. So they are obviously happy for unbalanced instruments to walk out of the factory.

Edited by GreeneKing

Gareth, you see, if you bought a Fender in the first place, your expectations would be that the neck pocket would have gaps and there would be other quality issues so if you got a good one it would be party time :) Set your sights low by buying Fender :):)

Seriously, never had any problems with any of my Fenders. I do hope you get this sorted soon and at least you got other Stingrays to keep you busy.