Why become a member? ×

NOT GREAT NEW BASS DAY - EBMM Ray HH Matching Headstock

Musicman20

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1317893384' post='1395781']
Lol read the rest wazoo
[/quote]

I know but I thought by now, Strings & Things and Bass Merchant would hold a "file" on Gareth and ensure he gets his basses perfect before he goes all Victor Meldrew on them! This is atrocious to read from here.

I'm merely guessing here, but I think this was done in the UK. It doesn't look like something they would do. Merely guessing here. I'm giving it til 17:00 today to get it sorted (eg another HH, a colour I like, apology, and money off next purchase), if not, refund.

So far not heard a peep from S&T...at all. Not great IMO.

I know what you're saying Gareth but I would have thought it is the job of EBMM to ensure that you get a marvelous bass delivered to your door. After all, you ordered a new build and that is what you should have got. I think that you are bang on the money with your thoughts as to what has happened here and it's just not good enough. I sincerely hope you get a satisfactory outcome to the situation as you have been a good ambassador of EBMM basses. You deserve better!

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1317897042' post='1395832']
The other concerning thing is that someone less knowledgeable would not have noticed half if any of these problems and they would have got away with it.
[/quote]
[b]Playing devil's advocate here. [/b]...and awaiting the sh*t load of flak.

Are we confusing "knowledgeable" with "overcritical".
It seems that we are talking about a gap of less than a mil at the neck (which by the looks of it from that pic could be adjusted out by anyone with a screwdriver) and a serial number. The rest for the moment is conjecture... and even if it were true is the tone or playability compromised at all?
£1500 is a lot to shell out on anything but in the grand scheme of things concerning bass, £1500 spent at a luthier will get you a lot closer to perfection than £1500 spent on a bass that came off a production line in a factory (however small or large).

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1317892832' post='1395766']
I'd forget about buying blind .... too much hassle and stress and waiting time.

I'd take the money and look out for a cash SH deal here that wouldn't lose much money if it didn't work out after a few months.
I'd check out the Sadowsky 5 in vintage type spec on here and look to have to spend a day travelling getting what you want...for example

It is the only way...go and look over the thing in situ and decide if it is everything you want.

Sorry it didn't work out, but this has been nigh on a year getting these basses and it isn't working..so I wouldn't be looking at them again
[/quote]

+1

Get yourself a used Sadowsky and never look back mate! :)

I think when a £60 Sue Ryder P bass has a better neck joint, and no chips in the neck pocket area, then its time to make a point about it.

I understand, it IS being critical, but I think at this price point, you HAVE to be. Especially considering a 7 month wait on a bass that was finished August 2010.

Attention to detail is my forte, so I always want it in products, and they normally always cost a lot more! So, when it doesnt live upto it, what was the point of the extra money?

All I can say it, if they tried to pass this off as brand new, it was an absolute fail, because I'm far too good a detective.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1317900297' post='1395902']I appreciate all your points, but I get the impression that you will never be happy with a production line bass.

Next time, stick with a UK-based luthier - that way you know what's going on every step of the way.[/quote]

This

In this day and age, I think there is no excuse for it in a £1500 bass. IMO.

But... the point about £1500 to a UK luthier is way better money spent than £1500 to a production made bass, with shipping costs etc etc ...and then 30% or so of that price in retail.

so, you are comparing a £1500 bass in small workshop, virtually hand-made etc etc...against a bass worth barely £500 to my mind
...hmmmm!!!!

Hmmm... I had an "interesting" experience with Strings & Things when I purchased a new 'Ray a few years back....

I bought a new white 'Ray (same colour as yours I suppose) from Sound Control in Glasgow for retail. Within a couple of weeks the paint started to chip off - it obviously wasn't primed properly or somesuch. The lightest knock and a bit would flake off right down to the wood. Back to SC and some fairly forceful discussions (you can imagine the "are you sure you didn't drop it on concrete several times" reaction), photos to S&T the lot. Eventually, they agreed to take it back and replace the body.

Months pass and it comes back. The body had obviously been swapped by an idiot. All the screws where (literally) only half way in and I had to take it all to bits and do it properly myself. Again, as you say, this is a well-over-a-grand new bass. So, guess what, a few days later the white paint started to chip again.

Back to SC who, to their credit, swapped it for a black one on the spot. Which is great and I still have it, so it could have been worse. However, I am very suspicious about the white finish and I'm sceptical that S&T employ anybody who can work a screwdriver.......

Well, Darren is being helpful and wants me to have a bass I want. I think even he may be shocked at the potential neck swap.

S&T have offered a credit back (im guessing back to him) which means I can have a refund. Thing is, they havent offered anything else, like an apology, a phone call, an email...nothing. Not even a 'you can have another HH bass, at a discount'....nothing.

I've dealt with them in the past and they have been very efficient so I have no idea what they are playing at now. New management? Who knows.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1317906453' post='1396021']
Well, Darren is being helpful and wants me to have a bass I want. I think even he may be shocked at the potential neck swap.

S&T have offered a credit back (im guessing back to him) which means I can have a refund. Thing is, they havent offered anything else, like an apology, a phone call, an email...nothing. Not even a 'you can have another HH bass, at a discount'....nothing.

I've dealt with them in the past and they have been very efficient so I have no idea what they are playing at now. New management? Who knows.
[/quote]

Take the money now, before creating any further stink, just to be sure you get everything you're due.
Then regroup I reckon.

My only worry with custom is that, in all honesty, I don't really know which luthier I'd choose. I also don't want something that will lose a lot of money should I have to sell it.

I also live nowhere near London, and time to visit for custom specs is limited.

I'll have a good think anyway.

Put it this way, if I was spending £1500+ again, it would be a Sadowsky. This might end up happening! Who knows.

Never could get on with the Status 'look' or sound...not my thing unfortunately....otherwise i think their stellar build quality would be spot on for me.

Agreed, I don't mind buying secondhand. but I think I'll wait til I move back up North so I can access second hand gear without too much travelling around.