Why become a member? ×

Couriers & packing.

tom1946

Interparcel/TNT have just lost a mike dirnt fender bass in transit. They have told me it has been "damaged" and told me I need to make a claim. I dont know how they can determine it has been damaged if it was never delivered! Let the fighting begin!!!

Edited by Damonjames

• 1 month later...

I had to claim £300 from Interparcel last year for a dropped cab (UPS). It took about a month. They shipped the damaged cab back and paid up without too much trouble. Despite photographic evidence, one of their competitors (Payperparcel) refused point blank to pay for an amp that had obviously been dropped .

With high value items, I think it's worth photographing what you're sending as well as the way you've packaged it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I've been asked if I will ship my Lakland I've currently got advertise on here to Italy.

having never sold anything on here before, let alone shipping to oversees, looking for some advice on how best to receive payment (safest option) and also who's best to use for the shipping that will allow for tracking and confirmed signature upon receipt.

Just looking at a quick search on Google, it seems its going to cost anywhere between £90 - £120 included for VAT.
Seems a bit steep, no?

Cheers,
Dougie.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

This is my first time shipping a bass - and I cannot see how people are getting prices for shipping a bass around the £6 mark!? That seems astonishing. The cheapest I am finding is around £50! I've tried UPS / Interparcel, Parcelmonkey and many more. Am I missing something???

Generally, I am marking the dimensions as 5KG / 130 cm height / 50 cm wide / 40 cm length.

Any tips would be appreciated... I am also waiting to hear from a friend who used to work for DHL to see if I can get a good price but no news as of now.

Pretty hefty dimensions! 130 x 50 x 20 should get you prices around the £12 mark. (Assuming you mean 130 long and 40 high) how is your parcel so thick? That will be what is killing you with prices. 20 should be more than enough??

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Very useful thread!

A quick question: is there any reason why I shouldn't ship a bolt-on bass with the neck off?

I'm about to post one (within the UK) and having never done this before, it makes sense in my tiny mind to detach the neck and pack it together with the body in a smaller package - smothered in bubble wrap and making sure the two pieces don't come into contact, of course.

Is this a good/bad/ugly idea?

Ta.

Edited by Skol303

• 1 month later...

If anyone needs an item picked up from a collection only seller, I'd recommend Pack & Send. Just won a cab & head on eBay that the seller couldn't package. Pack & Send picked up from his, packed the whole thing properly (2 layers of bubble wrap, 1 layer of bigger bubble wrap, thick cardboard to the exact size). Whole thing cost not a lot more than a standard courier.

I do not seem to use the parcelforce website to order some shipping, I get the following message any ideas?

[b] System Check[/b]

It is not currently possible to use our collection booking facility using a mobile device. This is included in our development plans for early 2014.

[b]Operating System:[/b] Windows 7 Correct [b]Browser:[/b] Netscape 5 Your browser should be one of the following: [list]
[*][url="http://microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.asp"]Internet Explorer (6.0 or better) Download Now[/url]
[*][url="http://mozilla.org/products/firefox"]Mozilla Firefox (2.0 or better) Download Now[/url]
[/list] [b]Plug In:[/b] Adobe Acrobat NOT found You must have Adobe Reader (5 or better) with the browser plugin properly working.[url="http://www.adobe.co.uk/"]Download Now.[/url]

• 1 month later...

[quote name='ewengcameron' timestamp='1387386400' post='2311408']
If anyone needs an item picked up from a collection only seller, I'd recommend Pack & Send. Just won a cab & head on eBay that the seller couldn't package. Pack & Send picked up from his, packed the whole thing properly (2 layers of bubble wrap, 1 layer of bigger bubble wrap, thick cardboard to the exact size). Whole thing cost not a lot more than a standard courier.
[/quote]

I'd still need a hard case for a bass though for this to work, wouldn't I?

Edited by afroblue

• 1 month later...

-1 for Interparcel/UPS

Im having a sh*t time with Interparcel just now. I paid £50 for a courier and insurance to pick up a valve head yesterday. The guy I bought it from took the day off work to wait for UPS. UPS arrived and didnt take the head as he hadn't printed off STICKERS! How many people own something that can print off stickers? Ridiculous. Ive rearranged for it to be picked up on Friday so we'll see what happens.

[quote name='Mexicola' timestamp='1394038666' post='2387249']
-1 for Interparcel/UPS

Im having a sh*t time with Interparcel just now. I paid £50 for a courier and insurance to pick up a valve head yesterday. The guy I bought it from took the day off work to wait for UPS. UPS arrived and didnt take the head as he hadn't printed off STICKERS! How many people own something that can print off stickers? Ridiculous. Ive rearranged for it to be picked up on Friday so we'll see what happens.
[/quote]

I print off the label, stick it to the parcel with loads of Pritt, Sellotape round all the edges and a couple of times across the middle of the label. UPS have always accepted the parcel, as indeed have other couriers and their collection agents. Did your man just hand the label to the UPS driver and expect him to sort it?

I Know lots of people have a pop at couriers.But check this out.I have bought a Bass from Jack B of this parish,He posted it in Poland this Tuesday morning and I received it today Thusrday at 09.30, A big cheer for The Polish Post and in this case Royal mail,A very happy fellow am I .Rich :) :) :)

Edited by richardd

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1394060063' post='2387618']
Did your man just hand the label to the UPS driver and expect him to sort it?
[/quote]

Yes, that's not going to happen. Some of the items I've received via courier (not from BC, I hasten to add) have been so badly packed that it's a wonder they managed to get to me at all. Some of them even had the contents precariously hanging out of a package that was inaccurately addressed and looked like it had been prepared for despatch by a one-armed gibbon with aphasia.

Edited by discreet

• 1 month later...

If you are thinking of shipping anything musical by myhermes, think again. Recently a guitar I sent via their service was destroyed in the post and they will not pay out on the insurance. Apparently musical instruments are on their prohibited list. This is not the first time I have had trouble with them with an insurance claim.

https://www.myhermes.co.uk/help/carry-guide.html

Dunc

• 4 weeks later...

Never had a package destroyed or an insurance claim. But, did have recent issues with YODEL, no show and very little assistance on the help line. Two days late on the collection although delivered next day as wanted. Wouldn't like to be waiting for a Kidney. Will not be using them again.

• 3 weeks later...

Do not EVER use Yodel - they are terrible! Last few basses I have sent (one UK and one Spain) have been with UPS (via interparcel.com) - and had no problems at all. Seriously, if you want to see something - be willing to post it; it's not that hard. Unless you are selling a car. Or maybe a Mesa Boogie 8x8.

I will add my 2p regarding myHerpes (myHermes) who are a budget operation employing part-time contract workers who use their own transport for deliveries... single mums, students, immigrants, benefit fraudsters and ne'er-do-well transient drifters are all members of society who may or may not be employed by myHerpes!

At best they will fail to pick up when they say they will, and at worst your item will be chucked over a wall, left in a wheelie bin on rubbish collection day, kicked around the floor, dropped from a great height, left out in the rain or just plain go missing, so be warned!

And as has been said, musical instruments will NOT be covered, even though myHerpes are happy to take extra premiums for 'enhanced insurance' from you regardless of whether you are actually covered or not!

Thought I'd share my experiences with couriers.
I bought an ashdown valve amp a while back and the guy shipped it with no packaging at all. Courier guy treated it with kid gloves as he could see what it was (must say I wouldn't risk that)

Co-incidentally I sold the same amp to some guy in Lithuania who arranged his own courier which turned out to be he his cousin in a van who did regular trips back and forth taking and fetching stuff

Mostly when I ship guitars I buy a guitar box from the guitar shop round the corner for £3 and use those.
Now I've read the bike box tip I'll do that instead.

Recently bought an acoustic in a hard shell case and that arrived with some minimal cardboard packing to prevent scuffing and that was fine.

And lastly, if the sale / purchase is within 50 or so miles I'll go and collect / deliver

• MB1 pinned this topic
  • ped unpinned this topic