Why become a member? ×

Couriers & packing.

tom1946

I have used City Link many times with no problem,how well was the amp packed,it is no use just putting it in a cardboard box marking fragile and expect it to arrive as it left,the amp needs to be packed in polysyrene /large bubble wrap and then in a box,these couriers have maybe 80/90 calls a day so they dont have time to be concerned if the packageing is not up to standard for what is being shipped :)

Any Idea? Yesterday @ about 1:00pm, Interparcel/DPD picked up a Parcel at the Seller, (wich has 100% my Trust) in Sheffield. Parcel goes to Germany, but until now, there is nothing to see when I like to track the Parcel. DPD.co.uk Homepage says. [i]"Awaiting Receipt of Parcel." [/i]

I guess everything will be good at least, but i feel i'm getting nervous...

[quote name='AREA' timestamp='1332836449' post='1593620']
Any Idea? Yesterday @ about 1:00pm, Interparcel/DPD picked up a Parcel at the Seller, (wich has 100% my Trust) in Sheffield. Parcel goes to Germany, but until now, there is nothing to see when I like to track the Parcel. DPD.co.uk Homepage says. [i]"Awaiting Receipt of Parcel." [/i]

I guess everything will be good at least, but i feel i'm getting nervous...
[/quote]

We discovered that the DPD / interparcel tracking is mostly crappy and doesn't update, the parcel arrived with Tom this morning and was all safe and sound (so that was all spot on). I'd probably use DPD again as they are very reasonably priced but they don't 'do tracking' so I'd be warning the recipient!

• 2 weeks later...

Pack your parcel and stand back and consider if you could possibly damage the contents. If you could then the couriers surely will.

Also, I would not consider buying anything where the seller either doesn't live reasonably close to me, up to 30 miles ish or would not post. I would not arrange my own courier.

Edited by bertbass

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1319037017' post='1409184']
Do check carefully re-insurance. Some carriers won't insure instruments unless it's in a hard case.
[/quote]
Parcelforce state in their PDF guidance that guitars need to be in a hard case and they won't pay out if they aren't. Just had this happen to me and it cost me big time . Beware

[url="http://www.parcelforce.com/sites/default/files/Packaging_Guidelines.pdf"]http://www.parcelforce.com/sites/default/files/Packaging_Guidelines.pdf[/url]

Edited by Geek99

Thanks for all the advice. Bass went today by FedEx £53 inc insurance (plus a bit more for packing tape and paying a surcharge for using Paypal) - I fashioned a box out of a number of others, the bass had its hard case anyway so didn't have to be too robust. Best regards one and all. KST

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='Porkpie' timestamp='1337355519' post='1658769']
Beware of using YODEL, see link

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/176635-fender-paisley-precision-bass/"]http://basschat.co.u...precision-bass/[/url]
[/quote]

+1, they managed to break the tweeter out of a bass cab while delivering it to me - extracting compensation out of them took weeks as well. I wouldn't trust this lot to deliver a steel bar safely.

Let me add to Yodel woes. They were meant to deliver an expensive lens to me. However, not only did they deliver to the wrong house but after finding no-one in (surprise, surprise) they dumped it over the garden wall and left it lying in the rain. When I complained they couldn't have cared less. Fast forward to yesterday - it's now the second full day that I have waited in for Yodel to deliver a bass. At 4pm I go to tracking to find the message that "the consignee could not be contacted". They have my phone number, they have my address, what more do they need? Bearing in mind this delivery had already been postponed as they couldn't pick up the parcel when they said they would. The seller is trying his best to get things sorted out as Yodel won't deal with me as the contract is with the seller. After reading the above story I'm now starting to get a bit nervous. I can only await word from the seller as to what is happening. So, Yodel's inefficiency and methods are not confned to one part of the country. I know some folk on here don't like parcelforce. I, however have to honestly say that I have used them many, many times and have not ever had any problems. In one case they even delivered a bass the next day depsite it being a 48 hour service.

I just want to finish by saying: DON'T USE YODEL!!!!!

Edited by Hutton

[url="../../index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=1658769"][/url]Porkpie, on 18 May 2012 - 04:38 PM, said:
Beware of using YODEL, see link

[url="../176635-fender-paisley-precision-bass/"]http://basschat.co.u...precision-bass/[/url]

Gave a statement to the police today, may hear something back by the end of the week.

AVOID YODEL !

I can't get your link to work Porkpie but I too have had problems with Yodel and many other couriers. There are some really dodgy outfits around these days and I've yet to find one that has no 'small print' to suit them when they want to wriggle out of paying compensation.

I haven't even mentioned compensation to them yet ash. It was difficult enough getting them to report the theft of my bass to the police even after the seller and I had tracked it down and involved plod ourselves!

• 2 weeks later...

Useless Parcel Services, sorry, UPS have just managed to put a bloody great chip in the top horn of an excellent condition Epiphone Explorer.
To the naked eye the box was packed well enough to take a direct tactical strike, but they maneged well enough :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently in the process of doing a cab trade with Ghost_bass, which involves me sending my Epi 212 to Portugal, and him sending 2 EBS cabs to me. I have elected to use Worldwide Parcel Services, standard delivery with full insurance coming to £50, which really isn't bad at all.

Once the trade is done I shall report back :)

Can anyone offer more advice on where to find packaging materials for a bass?

I have bought a bought a bass off a guy on ebay, and he agreed to let me arrange a courier (rather than collection only).

However, he says he is having terrible trouble finding suitable packaging. He has been to music shops, he has been to bike shops, he has been to sofa shops and supermarkets. None of these has given him any joy.

It has almost come to the point of buying cardboard (which obviously I don't want to do) and im not even sure the local post office would have suitable sized packaging? Maybe?

Can anyone offer any more places to look for suitable packaging? Or has this chap been very unlucky on his previous visits and should go round them again?

Thanks
Stef

[quote name='stefBclef' timestamp='1339918158' post='1696161']
Can anyone offer more advice on where to find packaging materials for a bass?

I have bought a bought a bass off a guy on ebay, and he agreed to let me arrange a courier (rather than collection only).

However, he says he is having terrible trouble finding suitable packaging. He has been to music shops, he has been to bike shops, he has been to sofa shops and supermarkets. None of these has given him any joy.

It has almost come to the point of buying cardboard (which obviously I don't want to do) and im not even sure the local post office would have suitable sized packaging? Maybe?

Can anyone offer any more places to look for suitable packaging? Or has this chap been very unlucky on his previous visits and should go round them again?

Thanks
Stef
[/quote]

It seems unlikely that he's drawn a blank if he genuinely has tried all those places. Sounds like your eBay guy just can't be arsed.
Perhaps you could put out an APB for Basschaters local to him to go collect it then help you with the boxing and collection in exchange for the price of a beer or two.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1339926240' post='1696250']
It seems unlikely that he's drawn a blank if he genuinely has tried all those places. Sounds like your eBay guy just can't be arsed.
[/quote]

Yes that's what I was afraid of. But I messaged him BEFORE I bid on the collection only item asking if it would be ok to arrange a courier and he agreed outright. Also, I spoke to him on the phone yesterday and he seemed like a genuine chap. I will give it another couple o' days and then I might have to do an APB...stranded bass!

Thanks for your reply. Now I want a beer or two!

BTW - boxes are easy to get hold in my experience.
Local music shops selling guitars are more than happy to give you a box designed specifically shipping guitars.
They rather give it away than have to waste time breaking them down for rubbish collection.

Just to give Parcel Force a leg up.My bass came into their Coventry hub last night from France at 21.55 Ands it was Delivered to me in Grantham at 09.30.today.That aint half bad. :)

Edited by richardd

I've now been let down by UK MAIL. I had bought a camera lens for my son who is going to Australia tomorrow. I had even paid extra for 1-2 days delivery just to make sure. The lens didn't turn up when it was meant to. After phoning UK MAIL they have told us they have a 3 day backlog and we shall have to wait. So the lens won't be here in time. Honestly, I am really beginning to despair of couriers. I have to say that I have never been let down by Royal Mail/Parcelforce. I have used them many, many times and they often deliver ahead of schedule. I know this may not be everyone's experience but I just wouldn't use anybody else.

UPDATE: The lens was never delivered. I don't know what happened to it. After waiting for a week I filed a claim against the Amazon seller from whom I had bought the lens. The seller hadn't wanted to know up until this point but certainly fired into action when Amazon got involved. I am now getting a replacement lens with £20 knocked off. This will be delivered by Royal Mail special delivery. The seller is going to argue the toss with UK Mail as to what had happened. Why does life have to get so complicated?

Edited by Hutton

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Baxter' timestamp='1330108417' post='1552978']
I just used Paisley Freight to shift a bass. Available on ebay for £13.99. I just searched guitar courier to see what came up. it was actually TNT that came to pick it up and it was delivered from Glasgow to Brighton by 9.30am the next day. I
couldn't fault the price or service.
[/quote]

I've used Paisley for all my bass shipping for about 5 years now. Always perfect collection, and delivery, all for around £13, you can add reasonably priced insurance to suit you. Top service, and cheap. the biggest problem for me is always getting the boxing and bubble wrap.......pain in the ar*e!

• MB1 pinned this topic
  • ped unpinned this topic