Why become a member? ×

Attilla Balogh Odyssey Bass

petetexas

Hi .

This is the Odyssey I got of e-bay a couple of weeks ago..................

[attachment=6616:DSCF0011.JPG]
[attachment=6617:DSCF0012.JPG]
[attachment=6618:DSCF0013.JPG]
[attachment=6619:DSCF0014.JPG]
[attachment=6620:DSCF0015.JPG]
[attachment=6621:DSCF0016.JPG]

[b]BEAUTIFUL.......[/b] :)

Edited by petetexas

• 1 year later...

The other guitar player in our band has an Odyssey. Details are really sparse, but it seems the more they cost originally, the more bling they had on them - I believe the top of the range instruments featured all brass hardware, trans finishes so you could see the swamp ash and a bewildering array of switching options (looks like you have the full complement there :) )
It's an extremely nice guitar but every time I pick it up I am stunned at how much it weighs - his guitar is also a thru-neck, but I assume most of the weight is in the wings - it ways about 50% more than my LP Standard.
And I think Paul is right - I think they got DiMarzio pickups as standard.

The promotional guff from Attila Balogh stated that the pickups were Bartolinis, though I've never been able to find any evidence of Bartolini making passive pickups like this. I took them off once when changing strings & there was nothing to indicate any make.
Either way they sound really great, and that is a fine bass. I bought and sold many a high end instrument whilst always hanging onto that one. That actual bass was reviewed in Sounds and they raved about it.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='454000' date='Apr 4 2009, 12:11 PM']That the pickups have hex key pole pieces suggests they're DiMarzios - I think that was one of their identifying features (although I don't doubt that another pickup maker has done the same).[/quote]

Schaller PBX pups have these - as do the JapCrap no-brands on my Ibby RS924, which are probably Maxxons or Gotohs.

That aside - I now have some GAS pains for an Atilla Balogh Oddysey. And the urge to write a prog concept album of the same name. :)

Jon.

• 4 months later...

Hi. New to this game - always visiting but never joined.
Saw the post about Odyssey bass and just had to join up.
I have one of these and for ages I have been trying to find
someone else with one, I was starting to think that mine was
unique to the UK.
I even contacted a guy in Vancouver, where they were made,
who worked closely with Attila - Mike Kinal and he said not many
made it over here. At last I have found another one.
Stunning bass, great sound, our guitarists favourite.
Very pleased to have found you. :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='FlatEric' post='565923' date='Aug 11 2009, 02:20 PM']Hi. New to this game - always visiting but never joined.
Saw the post about Odyssey bass and just had to join up.
I have one of these and for ages I have been trying to find
someone else with one, I was starting to think that mine was
unique to the UK.
I even contacted a guy in Vancouver, where they were made,
who worked closely with Attila - Mike Kinal and he said not many
made it over here. At last I have found another one.
Stunning bass, great sound, our guitarists favourite.
Very pleased to have found you. :) :rolleyes:[/quote]
Hello there,
The bass in this thread was originally mine. I bought it from new in the music shop in Cardiff where I used to help out.
Fantastic bass & I only sold it last year because I was playing more guitar & keyboards at the time.
Everybody that has played that bass has raved about it.
The shop also had the guitar version of the bass & that was bloody lovely too.
Good to hear that somebody else has got one - post some pictures of it if you get the chance.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='454000' date='Apr 4 2009, 12:11 PM']That the pickups have hex key pole pieces suggests they're DiMarzios - I think that was one of their identifying features (although I don't doubt that another pickup maker has done the same).[/quote]

Westone (and Tokai?) "Hard Puncher" P pickups have this feature. Doubtless lifted from the DiMarzio Originals

[quote name='FlatEric' post='609807' date='Sep 27 2009, 08:33 AM']:lol:
Odyssey Bass Pics.
At last I have managed to get some shots. :)

I think this is about 30 years old. One of my favourites!
Sound great!!
Also shown with a couple of friends! :rolleyes:

Flat Eric
[attachment=33577:Od1.jpg][attachment=33578:Od2.jpg][attachment=33579:OdElite.jpg][/quote]

That's a nice one - looks like it's in superb condition.
They're great basses.

Here's a link to a pic of the one I had:-

[url="http://www.luthiersaccessgroup.com/isodyssey1.html"]Odyssey Bass[/url]

It was my first 'name' bass. I'd been heading for a real Rick 4001 when I walked into Jimmy Grant's shop in Edinburgh and he had a raft of them. Odysseys, that is. Mine was one of the top-end ones and there was also a model like the one above that had a built-in 5 (Ithink) band graphic EQ!! The only thing I began to dislike about that bass was the sound from the rear pup. HAve a look at it and see how close it is to the bridge. Very tight sound with a quick decay. I fell out of love with it and it went after about six years but it turned up in my hands as a repair about 12 years later; somebody had ruined the wiring harness and the rear pup tone didn't work. A lovely but heavy bass

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='Lorne' post='611052' date='Sep 28 2009, 05:37 PM']I'm very interested as to what the electrics on this bass do,as it loks similarly made to a B.C.Rich,Grover Titans,Badass,twin P's,lots of switches etc[/quote]
Lorne,
The Atilla guitars & basses had a volume & tone knob for each pickup, a coil tap for each pickup & an out-of-phase switch which works when both pickups are selected. It's basically the same set up as a BC rich circuit minus the preamp & the Varitone.

My old Odyssey bass (the one at the start of this thread) sounded quite similar to the late 70s rich basses I've played. The build quality was comparable too.

[quote name='FlatEric' post='609807' date='Sep 27 2009, 08:33 AM']:lol:

Odyssey Bass Pics.
At last I have managed to get some shots. :)

I think this is about 30 years old. One of my favourites!
Sound great!!
Also shown with a couple of friends! :rolleyes:

Flat Eric

[attachment=33577:Od1.jpg][attachment=33578:Od2.jpg][attachment=33579:OdElite.jpg][/quote]

I have found another version, as well as another pic.[attachment=34014:At_Odessey.jpg][attachment=34015:OdBass1.jpg]
How many are out there?
Does anyone know somebody who has one?

Flat Eric :lol:

[quote name='RhysP' post='611076' date='Sep 28 2009, 06:00 PM']Lorne,
The Atilla guitars & basses had a volume & tone knob for each pickup, a coil tap for each pickup & an out-of-phase switch which works when both pickups are selected. It's basically the same set up as a BC rich circuit minus the preamp & the Varitone.

My old Odyssey bass (the one at the start of this thread) sounded quite similar to the late 70s rich basses I've played. The build quality was comparable too.[/quote]

Cool,thanks,shoulda sounded killer then :)

• 1 year later...

Well whaddaya know, I've got one of these as well, same as the translucent red one. Yes they are DiMarzio's (nothing else sounds as good passive!!!). I still play mine from time to time and it sounds f*****g awesome!! but I'm a 6 string bass player now - Yamaha TRB6JP Sig. and other high-enders. But none of them sound as incredible as the Attila - shame it's only 4 strings!! I paid £150 for the Attila with a tatty but servicable had case. Anyone any idea what they're worth??
Peace.

[quote name='fireblademalc' post='981075' date='Oct 7 2010, 11:26 PM']Well whaddaya know, I've got one of these as well, same as the translucent red one. Yes they are DiMarzio's (nothing else sounds as good passive!!!). I still play mine from time to time and it sounds f*****g awesome!! but I'm a 6 string bass player now - Yamaha TRB6JP Sig. and other high-enders. But none of them sound as incredible as the Attila - shame it's only 4 strings!! I paid £150 for the Attila with a tatty but servicable had case. Anyone any idea what they're worth??
Peace.[/quote]
I'll give you £150! :)

Jon.