Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN - Trace Elliot V8 Amp

This is my Trace Elliot V8 head and it is in great condition.

As previously mentioned, I'm selling it because I have seen a bass that I really want and therefore need to raise some funds to put towards it. I saw the bass on Monday and it was everything I hoped it would be, so I am firmly commited to selling this.

The head has been gigged a couple of times some years back, but since then it hasn't been used at all. When I did use it live, it was not subject to any volume abuse so the valves have plenty of miles left in them.

It comes complete with it's power lead, user guide (photocopy only I'm afraid), TE footswitch unit and two lime green TE three pin leads for speaker connection.

It doesn't come with a flight case or cover of any kind. I've never laid out for a case myself as it never leaves the house.

For those with a dodgy back, please beware, this amp is heavy! It comes in at 28.4 kilos (four and half stone).

Due to the weight/fragility I really don't want to ship this. You are very welcome to collect it from me in South Essex or I would be willing to deliver it or meet you somewhere in between, depending on the distances involved.

Due to the reason for sale I cannot accept any trades, unless you happen to be the man who has my future next bass.

Price: WITHDRAWN. Payment by bank transfer preferred or cash.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker

If I owned this, I'd never sell it as I was under the impression that Trace made less than 100. I did play one of these a few years ago and it was just monstrous and I'm not necessarily a valve amp person. Were the price tag a bit lower, I'd imagine there would be quite a few folk on this forum with bits of your arm hanging out of their mouths....

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1317287013' post='1388948']
If I owned this, I'd never sell it as I was under the impression that Trace made less than 100. I did play one of these a few years ago and it was just monstrous and I'm not necessarily a valve amp person. Were the price tag a bit lower, I'd imagine there would be quite a few folk on this forum with bits of your arm hanging out of their mouths....
[/quote]
Wise words indeed.

It's a very strange feeling owning one of a line that were manufactured in such very limited numbers. It's not a feeling that I'm over familiar with. The jury is indeed out as to how many V8's were actually made. Some sources claim 100, others say 200 and I don't think Trace Elliot ever knew exactly. Mine is such a low serial number it doesn't help in that regard, but 200 worldwide is still fairly exclusive. There was a guy on the web who attempted to catalogue all the V8 serial numbers and their locations, but I think that has been taken down now.

I used to feel as though I should move the amp on as I'm not using it at the moment, but on the other hand, I know if parted with it I may never see or own one again. However, I have come to a crossroads where I have been offered THE bass that has been number one on GAS list since I can't remember when. I know I would get much more pleasure out of owning the bass, so the amp really should go....

THE Holy Grail of bass amps! I personally would never sell this, i got offered a swap once for one of these for my V4 but i declined as i cant see mine go out the door as are even more rare than the Mighty V8.

As far as i know, and this comes from a source of a friend who worked at TE, they only ever made 53 of these. Dont shoot me if i am wrong, thats just the info i know of. Also i was told they only ever made 15 of the V4 that i have.
I wouldnt flog mine if it sat there collecting dust, its just too damn good! haha.

I hope you either manage to sell it and let someone else feel the glory, or you have a change of heart and keep it.

Good luck dude.

[quote name='Bassdude BE' timestamp='1317329833' post='1389676']they're indeed rare and high quality amplifiers, but i do think it's a little overpriced if you don't mind me saying.
at the moment there's a V4 for sale here in Belgium for just 1400Euro's and i know a V8 for sale in The Netherlands for 1600Euro's wich is less than half of what you're asking...

I wish you all the luck with the sale but with that price and in this economical climate it could take ages before you find a potential buyer..

ps: i'm not trying to ruin you're for sale threat here, just trying to help out with some info, hope you don't mind.

kind regards[/quote]

You should really keep things like that to private message. It's not fair to blast what someone wants to sell this for, it's the OP's choice.

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1317325926' post='1389606']
As far as i know, and this comes from a source of a friend who worked at TE, they only ever made 53 of these. Dont shoot me if i am wrong, thats just the info i know of. Also i was told they only ever made 15 of the V4 that i have.
[/quote]
The serial numbers on the V8s so far logged appear to follow a consistent, numerical sequence and mine's 86.
Only 25 V4 combos were made. Not sure about the V8 style V4 heads but rumours I've heard are that the same number were made.

A great rock amp with a big, gritty, grindy tone. I prefered the cleaner sound of my old Mesa Boogie Bass 400+ though.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' timestamp='1317459282' post='1390858']
The serial numbers on the V8s so far logged appear to follow a consistent, numerical sequence and mine's 86.
Only 25 V4 combos were made. Not sure about the V8 style V4 heads but rumours I've heard are that the same number were made.
[/quote]
Hi Crazykiwi,
You mentioned "serial numbers so far logged". Did you find the list of V8 owners?

I don't know what your amp shows, but my serial number is:
5 letters and numbers / a number (in your case 86) / 200.
This format suggests to me 200 were made.
Could it be possible that the 200 incorporates all V heads whether 4, 6 or 8?

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1317486004' post='1391221']
Hi Crazykiwi,
You mentioned "serial numbers so far logged". Did you find the list of V8 owners?

I don't know what your amp shows, but my serial number is:
5 letters and numbers / a number (in your case 86) / 200.
This format suggests to me 200 were made.
Could it be possible that the 200 incorporates all V heads whether 4, 6 or 8?
[/quote]

I believe the website is no longer up because the owner sold his V8 a couple of years back, I think his name is username on here is Phyrexian if you fancy dropping him a line. That sort of information should go into the basschat wiki.

The serial on mine follows the same format as yours but ends with 301, so I doubt that it refers to the total number made or model. Could be that it related to versions of the amp as refinements were made during its production.

Also try using the Basschat search engine and see how many other topics with V8's come up.

I will have a look on the back of my V4 and see what that says, see if there is any pattern as mine is the V8 style one rather than the green carpet one.
Im picking up my 1153 this week to make my mini trace rig complete. oooh geeky excitement is kicking in. Sorry for the thread de rail.

TE serial dates can be confusing, but as far as I can remember, first part is the type, next, the two digit number is the serial number ( I have seen numbers in the 90's BTW) mines 36 I think, next is the date, so 200 is, 2 = second quarter, 00 = year 2000, so 2nd quarter 2000. Mine is 301 = 3rd quarter 2001.

[quote name='SS73' timestamp='1317585291' post='1392143']
TE serial dates can be confusing, but as far as I can remember, first part is the type, next, the two digit number is the serial number ( I have seen numbers in the 90's BTW) mines 36 I think, next is the date, so 200 is, 2 = second quarter, 00 = year 2000, so 2nd quarter 2000. Mine is 301 = 3rd quarter 2001.
[/quote]
You're not wrong, that IS confusing!
The whole number on mine is TO136/12/200, so an early one then.
Thanks for the info.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1318185729' post='1399007']
Unfortunately forum rules mean you need to state a price... You can't win, haha! I wouldn't know where to start with a price guide tho, sorry. Good luck selling :)
[/quote]
Sorry Merton. Please accept my humble apologies.

I've just put it back on the bay. Whilst I'm not willing to let it go for a song, that price ISN'T firm as it really has to go for me to be able to afford what I'm after. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be too late and I end up with no V8 and no #1 GAS :(

Relisted on eBay here [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160670341538?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649"]http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1555.l2649[/url] (with some better photos) however, I'm willing to listen to offers from Bass Chatters :)

• 2 months later...