Why become a member? ×

Pod X3 PRO IS OUT!

ped

Ped, looks like £449 is about standard at the mo, but give it a few weeks and I'm sure someone like Thomann will discount some more. (That was from Dolphin Music btw).

Edited by zapp

I had an earlier bass pod pro (rack mountable) and I could never get it to perform live. Maybe it was a mis-match with the power amp I was using, but it never seemed that loud. I probably gave up too easily!
Maybe I'll give it another go if someone can recommend a power amp that definitely works with it.

[quote name='zapp' post='160403' date='Mar 19 2008, 06:34 PM']I'd be interested in that as well Ian. I've decided that I'm going to go the Pod xt pro plus Power amp route becuse I 'think' it will be a flexible rig. Of course it could just be GAS.............Damn!!!![/quote]

I though the same as you Dave when I decided to give it a go, but in a live situation I only found a few modelled sounds that I liked. I can see the benefits in a recording studio though. Perhaps I'll wait till you buy one, then I can try it :)
Maybe if the poweramp I was using was a better match I could have boosted the thinner sounds.

I rarely use the modelling on my XT pro - I do when using in ears (no cabinets though, just the amp front end) but live I use it like any pre-amp and use the excellent compressor and eq and reverb.

I had a look at the LIVE version of the X3 and I am a bit concerned that the front panel compressor has been replaced with one in the sub menus which has a ratio and threshold control. To me, the front panel single knob one on the XT pro is just perfect, so I will have to try the one on the X3 properly to see.

Why it is 3/4u is a mystery (is it 3 or 4?) - but I guess there is a fair amount to squeeze onto a smaller panel.

The X3 Live has had some consistently bad reviews in terms of factory quality control and design issues (google search will show you if you want to read them).
Lets hope they've improved things for the Pro. It could definitely be worth seeing the actual one you intend to buy, or being sure of the returns policy.

Another factor with the x3 live is its sustantialy cheaper than the pro. I've seen the live for £299 which is quite a saving.

Ped, I'd have thought that having the compressor in the sub menu was better because once set for a particular patch you probably wouldn't want to 'twiddle' with it. Or would you?

[quote name='zapp' post='161552' date='Mar 21 2008, 07:32 PM']Ped, I'd have thought that having the compressor in the sub menu was better because once set for a particular patch you probably wouldn't want to 'twiddle' with it. Or would you?[/quote]

Probably not no - I just really like the single control - the new version has more flexibility and might be a little more difficult to use. I certainly couldn't get the comp on my friends X3 the same as on my XT pro very easily. On the XT pro there are some extra compressors in the menu but I find them much harder to use. The best of those is Line 6's own 'Vetta Comp' which has the same controls as the main comp on the x3, but still not as sweet as the single knob beast.

I am still not sure if it is worth the extra cash and the extra size over the XT pro for me personally. The XT pro is just so perfect for me I think it might be silly to change it for the sake of it.