Why become a member? ×

Cooked streamliner 900.

Prime_BASS

Lol.
He said there was actual flash of flame.
My guess is it will need a whole new power management thingy or whatever is inside it.

I'm surprised to that this amp has no overheat protection that I can see. I've never even seen mention of amps that have some kind of voltage protection when they have this switcharoo on.

Some glass fuses can go with quite a spectacular display! Im guessing its going to be fooked though :) Its not an overheat protection issue really either and the Shuttle has that built in so Id be surprised if the Stramliner does not.

The TC has the best setup with an automatic voltage selection, I love that!

Have a word with Mark at Bassdirect, he may of seen it before and will also know where to send it to be fixed. Early Shuttles had an issue albeit actually a Bang and Ollufson issue really, AFAIK Genz were very quick to swap the complete power stage as and when they went faulty until the all clear was given.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1317054995' post='1386090']I'm surprised to that this amp has no overheat protection that I can see. I've never even seen mention of amps that have some kind of voltage protection when they have this switcharoo on.[/quote]
Not a lot to do with 'overheating' tbh! Simple case of applying wrong voltage and it'll be fried I'd have thought. I've no doubt it'll be fixable but not under any warranty that I'm aware of (unless it was sold with the correct modification done to it so that it can be used in the UK). It's often the first thing that folks mention when there is a topic on grey imports... "what if something goes wrong?".

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1317058834' post='1386179']
Not a lot to do with 'overheating' tbh! Simple case of applying wrong voltage and it'll be fried I'd have thought. I've no doubt it'll be fixable but not under any warranty that I'm aware of (unless it was sold with the correct modification done to it so that it can be used in the UK). It's often the first thing that folks mention when there is a topic on grey imports... "what if something goes wrong?".[/quote]

They don't require any modification just switching to the required setting, it's like putting a foreign car in reverse at the traffic lights then wondering why you hit the car behind instead of driving off forward! That's not a faulty car.

The manual does not suggest any fuse changes either, just select correct voltage and get gigging :)

Yup, I agree with Alex, sounds like an electrolytic cap has gone - they certainly can stink! Had one go in my Freeview box the other week - could smell it throughout the house! Thankfully, in that case, a quick & easy fix.

But doesn't it make you wish that manufacturers would just design in proper auto-sensing power supplies! Though I guess it shouldn't be a surprise from US companies in a country that is barely aware that other countries exist....

I have emailed mark at bass direct for guidance.
Awaiting replies.
Anyone know of any GB dealers closs to nottingham?Edit : Mark at bass direct is a hero. A few emails detailing my issue and explaining I have no idea where to go to with this. His last email simply said"Stephen, leave it with me."A lot of weight off my shoulders, trying to find someone relavant at fender gbi was finding a needle in a haystack.

Edited by Prime_BASS

Plus one to TC to be fair. Matt Davey is the chap to contact at Fender GBI, btw. Nice helpful chap.

I still didnt get to the bottom of my first Streamliner 900 which I sent back. I think everyone thought I was mad re: the power cable that always came lose.

It seems a few other had the same issue, tried other cables, and they still didnt fit tight. This is even when putting severe force onto the power cable, which shouldnt be necessary.

Anyway, I know I was right because the new one I received fits and sit perfectly. Doesnt budge.

I will say this though, Genz Service is top notch, but obviously much easier if you are USA based.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1317293026' post='1389054']
Did you guys both get one from the USA?

If you dont mind me asking, where did you source it from, and was it expensive to import?

Some of the Shuttle 9.0 and Max 9.2 prices are insanely low in the US and Id love to import one!
[/quote]
I was tempted for a Shuttle 3.0 as a spare head and to leave in my combo 1x12T when using for practice etc, One on eBay USA the other day worked out at £245! but once the fees go on :)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1317115200' post='1386787']
Plus one to TC to be fair. Matt Davey is the chap to contact at Fender GBI, btw. Nice helpful chap.

I still didnt get to the bottom of my first Streamliner 900 which I sent back. I think everyone thought I was mad re: the power cable that always came lose.

It seems a few other had the same issue, tried other cables, and they still didnt fit tight. This is even when putting severe force onto the power cable, which shouldnt be necessary.

Anyway, I know I was right because the new one I received fits and sit perfectly. Doesnt budge.

I will say this though, Genz Service is top notch, but obviously much easier if you are USA based.
[/quote]

Yep i remember your issue with the power cable. I replaced my cable with good quality one and its a snug fit and no more issues since.
Having an electrical background didn't see point in contacting supplier to be honest but i guess its better to let them know there is an issue out there. I'll remember to do that in future though.

Wouldn't think much more damage than smoothing capacitor on incoming power supply. I think they use these like a buffer because they don't have the large transformer to smooth out voltage / power variations.
Not 100% sure on that but electrolyte caps are readily available and shouldn't cost an enormous amount i hope.

Good luck and hope all turns out well for you. Great amp too.

Cheers
Dave