Why become a member? ×

Ahton BV300 - anyone tried one?

GarethFlatlands

Re-post from a friend on a different board:-

"My bass amp died in a puff of smoke and dead transistor last week.
In a perfect world I'd grab an early 70s Ampeg SVT but with my meagre resources that's not going to happen.
However, I need a good loud bass amp (preferably valve) and stumbled across this, anyone had any experiences (good/ bad/ indifferent) of the Ashton (Australia) BV300 head?
I only know that Ashton make cheapo guitars. The name put me off a bit but the amp is 300 watts (6 x KT88s) of valves for £300! I'm very tempted but would appreciate any info."

Thanks peeps.

i tried on of these in a shopabout 8 months ago and was not impressed!
it had a very wooly sound with no definitionat all. it was all low-mids in a bad way
and it didnt seem very loud for a valve amp either, with those valves in the power section it should have been shaking the shop!
i play it for about 5 mins and couldnt get anything close to a pleasant tone even the guy in the shop was surprised at how bad it was.
it could have been a bad one(faulty) but if so that doesnt inspire confidence either.

If the name puts you off, get the same amp with an Eden badge on... E300T or the Fame BVH300. Same amp, different skin.

Still sound the same though... and that's fairly flat. Read the Talkbass comments for a further insight.

But then again, for the money, you can't really complain.

These seem to be manufactured by a Taiwanese company called Smarvo, [url="http://www.smarvo.com.tw/musical_instrument_amplifiers/tube_bass_amp/tube_bass_amp.html"]here's the amp with their badge on it[/url].

I had the Fame version for a couple of weeks, sold it after I think two rehearsals. It didn't really have the juice to keep up with a rock band with a 410 and sounded very underwhelming.

Search for the Talkbass thread on the Fame, at least one fellow Finn seemed to like it.

Edited by fillerbunny