Why become a member? ×

Mic and mic stand - decent backing vocal mic

Musicman20

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1316701638' post='1381690']
SM58 yes.
Beyer stand if you can afford it. Great quality.
[/quote]

Seconded, although with the caveat that personally I find Sennheiser's E840 / 845 better than the SM58 these days (certainly in terms of feedback rejection, and subjectively in sound quality terms as well), and IIRC Beyer's stands are made by K&M, so look at them too.

It depends on your tone of voice as to whether an SM58 is any good, IMO. My voice is quite deep, with plenty of lower-mids, As such, through an SM58, which is good at lows and low-mids, I sound like I have a bad sinus problem. The best mics I`ve found for me, to get rid of this, are cheapo Behringer mics. You can add lows in if needed, but they never sound "nasally". Crisp sound, and very good value - think mine was about £20.

Re mic stand, I`ve just bought one of these - http://www.dv247.com/microphones/samson-bl3-ultra-light-microphone-boom-stand--41974
Very light, and seems to be good quality - not used it yet though.

Buying a mic should be no different to buying a bass, ie try it out with your voice.

The SM58 is hugely popular, it has the classic look, quite a pronounced high frequency kick and the ability to double as a hammer whenever needed during set-ups.

Other worthy contenders should include models from:
Sennheiser
AKG
Rode
Audio Technica
Beyer

As for stands, Studiospares usually have some good deals and are pretty good for the price.

What Lozz and Jimmy said, choose a mic to fit the voice (and the situation). SM58s are great but it can be a total PITA mixing a backing vocal prone to sounding nasal through a SM58. Better with a 57, remember that presence peak in the 58 is there to sit the voice above the mix which isn't necessarily what you want with backing (esp if the lead is also using a 58!). The Shure betas are nice mics. The Sennies are ok but I think they can sound thin/harsh on similar types of voice to those that don't suit 58s well. I always liked using condensers/back electrets (Shure 87s, AKG C1000s) but you have to adapt your thinking about mixing slightly, e.g. a lot of people struggle with HF feedback on these not realising just how much more HF you can roll off on these, without it impacting significantly on the vocal clarity compared to what you'd get with a dynamic.
Oh yeah, and stands K&M all the way or super cheap studiospares ones used to be ok.

Edited by LawrenceH