Why become a member? ×

80s synth bass sound??

hen barn

Most of my time on bass these days has been spent investigating other bass synth options, putting together non MIDI patches that I hear on modern and classic dance songs.

In any case here are some tips and quite possibly the longest post I'll make this year :) :

I avoid any synth pedals that just add a waveform tone to the original pitched sound. The Boss SYB is one example. I think the EHX Microsynth does a similar thing. Nothing wrong with that if it makes someone happy but they're not really synthesisers in my opinion, they're waveform generators. The waveforms don't track the pitch of the note you're playing so you'll just get the same monotone regardless of whatever note you are playing.

Some bass synth pedals that DO track pitch include:

Mark Bass Super Synth
Programmable, USB interface, relatively cheap, tracks pitch but only generates a sawtooth waveform

Korg Toneworks G5D09090101_Korg_G5_Bass_Synth_1-620x480.j
Discontinued, programmable, only generates fast and slow sawtooth waveforms plus a square subharmonic.

So farly limited in potential.

Akai SB-1 Deep Impact

akai-deep-impact.jpg&key=25e3663f0853afc
Discontinued, programmable, eye wateringly expensive in whatever condition, impossible to get spare parts for if it breaks, no info on waveforms but the 9 presets are very 80's in flavour so could probably cover most songs in some manner.

You'll need chorus, phaser and pitch shift to emulate some 80's tracks with all of the units described above.

Alternatively there are also the following;

Roland V-99 V-bass
Roland_VB_99_V_Bass_System.jpg&key=76ed7
Features include a choice of pitch tracked square or sawtooth waveforms plus an exhaustive range of multi effects and modelling options, plus MIDI output if you need to trigger real bass synths. Its an absolute beast and has a great user interface which includes USB connection and computer editing software. However its not cheap (used prices are about the same as a used Deep Impact), you'll need to install a GK3B pickup on your bass next to the bridge AND programme the pickup location and other aspects of your instrument into the V-bass so it can both model and track properly. You will also need a dedicated MIDI foot controller if you want to change patches or patch parameters mid-song.

s957919437576308413_p1558_i1_w2448.jpeg

Chunk Systems Octavius Squeezer
Absolute swiss army knife (four waveforms, envelope filter, fuzz and multi effects), fully programmable, pricey if you are outside Australia (still less than a secondhand Deep Impact however) but...only two buttons to do the programming!! So it's not the sort of pedal that you can make stuff up on the fly with. You'll also need a lot of patience and good visualisation skills to navigate that menu with only two buttons. (If ever there was a pedal crying out for a USB interface this would be it).

My pick would be the V-bass if I didn't need anything other than square or sawtooth waveforms and I anticipated needing a bass synth capability for a while. However I'm still annoyed by the fact its no longer a floor unit. Not only is the emphasis on using the hands rather than feet inconvenient, I'd also need to take a stand to a gig to avoid bending down between songs or pay extra for a MIDI foot controller.

You mentioned Human League in your post, I've managed to get both the introduction sawtooth patch and the verse/chorus bass line for Don't You Want Me Baby with the Deep Impact. Not sure what the latter waveform is though, I've just thought of it as 'rubber bandy', it could be a sawtooth with the dynamics dialled right down. A similar rubber bandy patch is used in Madonna's 'Holiday' too.

If I needed more than square or sawtooth then the Octavius Squeezer would come in second but I'd still be reluctant to buy one if there was a remote chance they'd release a Mark II version with a USB interface. If it did have the USB interface then I'd place it ahead of the V-bass because the modelling options aren't really going to come in useful on the V-bass.

I've also recently discovered this piece of kit which might make arpeggiating a breeze.

PitchFactor.jpg

Eventide Pitchfactor
It's pricey at US$500 but a marvellous box of cutting edge pitch effect tricks from what I've seen so far. I'd like to get one and run it next to the Deep Impact to get some trancey stuff going on.

If none of that suits, the alternative is to go down the pitch-to-MIDI route which I've also done but that's another thread entirely.

Edited by Kiwi
Formatting corrupted after site update
  • Like 1

excellent post from Crazykiwi ! i'm getting in to the Octavius Squeezer at the moment, but as stated it takes a while to get what you want out of it.

if you're interested i have a Korg G-5 which i could be tempted to part with.

the advantage with this unit is that it can be controlled with an expression pedal, unlike many of the others. PM me if you fancy it.

Edited by phil.i.stein

I've got an O.S. and it's a great pedal and yes it does qualify as a 'synth' in every sense of the word, but the thing with the EHX Bass Micro Synth is that - regardless of how it does what it does - it sounds excellent. It's a brilliant little package with a lot of very useful sounds in it. The O.S. on the other hand isn't as flexible in some ways because you're relying on digital pitch tracking and it can get quite ropey if you're not careful, so while it has a massive variety of sounds there is stuff you just can't play on it. Fast arpeggiated synth bass being one example, or anything that relies on quick retriggering of an ADSR filter envelope - both are pretty valuable for doing '80s sounds. I think it's better suited to hip hop sounds, early '90s stuff and G-Funk sounds - it excels at that.

The BMS is a whole lot easier to play and therefore more useful, IME.

I have to agree with you on that. I'm not into stuff that I have to spend ages tweaking so the BMS is just the ticket.

Its not great for doing anything fast low down but play it up an octave and then add in the octave down to the sound and you can play as fast as you like.

I've got mine set to play 4 different songs at present and the only difference between songs is one slight movement on one of the sliders to get the desired effect so the lack of programmability does not affect me.

• 2 weeks later...

Cutting out? It definitely shouldn't be doing that unless you've turned the preamp gain trim pot (the pot inside) way, way too low. The BMS gates its output when the input level falls too low, and if you've lowered the input gain that might be happening too early. But since you say you raised the input gain level that shouldn't be happening. It might be a faulty pedal, it really shouldn't be doing that.

• 8 years later...