Why become a member? ×

Fender 400 PS

The Funk

Two things: first off, has anyone ever used one of these?

I've just been given the opportunity to purchase one.

Second thing: it puts out 435 watts - but it puts out 145 on each of its 3 speaker outputs separately. Only if a different cab is connected to each of the 3 speaker outputs does it put out the total 435 watts. My question is how do I get all of that output into one cab.

Have a look at the answer to question 10 on this page:
[url="http://www.timeelect.com/400-faq.htm#1.%20%20Is%20the%20400-PS"]http://www.timeelect.com/400-faq.htm#1.%20...%20the%20400-PS[/url]

Any help guys?

EDIT: I've only been given a chance to buy the head - not the cab.

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='The Funk' post='159907' date='Mar 18 2008, 08:48 PM']That's a cute (and presumably pretty potent) rig.

I just... I'd like to be able to pump 435 valve watts into one of Acme 2x10s. I think that would sound monstrous.[/quote]

Cute - I like that! 1400w of cuteness!
Acme cabs are supposed to be loud. Sound interesting. If they did a 3x10, you could presumably have each driver wired to its own speakon socket, then away you go. I think thats the way I'd do it. Its an unusal head, but has the potential to be a real trouser flapper!

Like I said, it looks cute but I bet it sounds huge.

Acme do 1 x 10 cabs as well. In theory I could get three of them and hook up one each. It'd be the right kind of power output for each one.

I was planning on getting one anyway. I'll see if I can convince the keyboard player to get two more.

Now I'm wondering if there might be a way to hook up the different inputs on the front so that each signal goes to a different speaker output. I'm thinking 1. Bass, 2. Keyboard A, 3. Keyboard B/Acoustic Guitar. Hmm...

Definitely an interesting head. I'm just thinking about how I can get best use out of it.

You know, I'm really not sure that Acme cabs will get on very well with a valve head. Just a feeling from my experiences of valve amps with cabs that rely heavily on their porting for low end, they all just farted out really quick. That said, the extra excursion on the acme drivers would probably ease that somewhat. Just a hunch really (I used to have a B2).

[quote name='G-bitch' post='160311' date='Mar 19 2008, 04:17 PM']You know, I'm really not sure that Acme cabs will get on very well with a valve head. Just a feeling from my experiences of valve amps with cabs that rely heavily on their porting for low end, they all just farted out really quick. That said, the extra excursion on the acme drivers would probably ease that somewhat. Just a hunch really (I used to have a B2).[/quote]

I run a Marshall jcm800 bass series 100W all valve head into 2 Acme Low B2 (2x10)s wired in series.

The Acmes are fine with valves. It's a much bigger sound with 2 cabs rather than one though. It's not monstrous (it's only 100W) but it's really quite loud (and fat). The Acmes are certainly louder than a Marshall 4x12 I've used.

What is really noticeable when you compare Acmes to other cabs - is the lack of distortion. I run my Marshall at 100% - I can't do that with other cabs without losing tone and clarity.

A 435W all valve head though an Acme cab would be REALLY loud. You could do with wearing a hard-hat. :)

Edited by bigjohn