Why become a member? ×

Gibson Thunderbird, what are they like?

deanbean502

They're an aquired taste, They are really long, can be neck heavy and generally heavy but having said that the combination of mahogany and humbuckers means the tone is thunderous. Neck is jazz like in profile :) I think you either love them or hate them. I don't think they'd be much use to anyone apart from rock players.

Not had a Gibson, but had 2 Epiphones. Impressions were:

Look Great
Sound great
You easily get used to the neck-dive, and the Gibbo, being mahogany shouldn`t be too bad anyway
You get used to the length of the bass quite quickly, though at first hitting a low F feels like you`re on the machineheads of a regular bass
Finding a case is expensive
The case is usually bigger than whatever car you try to put it in - well not really, but you get the idea

Alternatively, if you like a Fender neck...the Fenderbird - I've just got one sorted out for very little money, and I love it! There's a thread with pics somewhere around here. I don't think it's all that much like a Gibson, though - there's no mahogany in mine, anyway.

I love my white TB. I was in a UFO covers band so it was the only option. Mine was an Epi, although I did try a couple of Gibsons, and honestly, I preferred the Epiphone at a fraction of the price.

A bass is what you make it. I slapped a couple of songs on mine no problem at all. Ok it's a much more middy sound than say a Jazz, but, I've seen reggae players, pop players and obviously rock players use them so you can do quite a bit with them if they're up your strasse. After all, [i]the funk's in the fingers, not the bass they're holding[/i].

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1316468655' post='1378577']
Lots of different versions of Thunderbirds even with "Gibson" on the headstock, 60s 70s, 90s, modern, reverse, non-reverse.

Which one(s) are you interested in?
[/quote]

Spot on, I would say. There are some common features, such as the long, long neck - but the details change. Reverse has serious neck dive; the non-reverse is marginally more controlled; the electronics will change across some of the models, as will the weight and fittings.

For me, they look great and sound great, on the whole. I wouldn't say no... until I had one in my hands, and then I'd find a reason to bitch about why Gibson still insist on that sh*t bridge and poor knob placement (ooh er missus)!

The old Thunderbirds, with the metal covered pickups and the chrome hardware, are incredible basses - a little awkward to play if you are not used to them but the sound is monstrous.
The current Gibsons look similar but are completely different tonally. I have considered buying one and ordering some Mike Lull pickups for it but that's some serious expense!
The Epiphone Tbirds have plenty of admirers, I didn't get on with mine at all. Felt like a toy to me.

[quote name='chipmunk_jr' timestamp='1316523869' post='1379124']
I love my epi Tbird pro to bits. the neck dive isn't that big an issue.
[/quote]

I had the 4 string version and sold it for the 5 string version which I still have. I love(d) them both but the necks are very different. Well worth a go if you fancy a TB look and sound (arguably an improved one) but not the Gibson price tag. If I had Gibson TB money (for a new one), I can think of many different basses I'd rather buy with said cash. Wouldn't say no if you gave me one though, especially in white.

Love my 2010 now, but it nearly went back as it had melted wiring from manufacture. I discovered this because the jack socket was loose and I had to take the cover off to tighten it. The jack socket doesn't have a lock washer either. (mine does now)
I had heard some poor quality stories from here and other interweb sources but bit the bullet and armed with all the highlighted issues I had one to try out.

Neck dive and weight is only complained about by pussies who demand balsa-wood weight basses and perfect balance IMO. (o0o0o controversial!)

Pros:

Possibly the most rock n roll bass shape known to mankind
Superslim neck profile
The smell! Damn its good
Popular opinion holds it as a 'one trick pony'. Thats fine, it does the one trick I want!
Holds C/G/C/F tuning with 110-50's with no problem

Cons:

Bridge is fiddly when changing strings. It drops into pieces. I wouldn't like to change strings in a dark backstage room!
Didn't come with added groupies.
High gloss finish - for those added finger prints
Tends to hang away from my waist slightly, so it needs straplocks before it goes anywhere. This is a bigger issue to me than the much vaunted neck dive as I move about a bit when playing live and can loose my pick hand positioning.

Gibson vs Epi - my experience was the standard was poorly finished, the Blackbird was nice and the Pro sounded like my Warwick.

Edited by amnesia

[quote name='amnesia' timestamp='1316552189' post='1379694']
The smell! Damn its good
[/quote]

Finally, someone who understands! People tend to think I'm strange when I go round sniffing all the basses in the store. I have no idea why that is, though

[quote name='Spaced' timestamp='1317056959' post='1386143']

Finally, someone who understands! People tend to think I'm strange when I go round sniffing all the basses in the store. I have no idea why that is, though
[/quote]

You [i]are[/i] strange, it's just there's two of you now... :)

Never tried one so i dunno. I do know that if you watch [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Old_Grey_Whistle_Test"]The Old Grey Whistle test [/url] - pre 1980 you will see tons of them, both bass and Firebird geetarr

Edited by daz

[quote name='amnesia' timestamp='1316552189' post='1379694']
Gibson vs Epi - my experience was the standard was poorly finished, the Blackbird was nice and the Pro sounded like my Warwick.
[/quote]
Two entirely different basses that just happen to have the same approximate body shape. That's as close as they get.

Jazz bass profile neck which tends to dive if you don't play it in the right position (i.e. high up and rest your elbow on the rear horn ala John Entwistle) and not dangling round your knees.
I found the mahogany body to be too muffled and warm sounding for my liking. Mahogany is great for guitars but for basses I don't think it works well at all.

If your playing rock i.m.o. there are much better basses to use (precision, Jazz with hot pickups, Traben Core basses, Ibanez SRX, etc). The Epiphone Thunderbird (older ones) are similar in looks only and sound completely different to a Gibson.