Why become a member? ×

Downsizing and confused!

neepheid

My head's spinning. I want to downsize my rig. Lovely sounding though my Ashdown ABM cab is, circa 80lbs of front heavy 4x10 down/up 2 flights of stairs that barely fits in my car for each gig where I need to provide amplification (regardless of whether I have PA support or not) is no longer tolerable for me. I'm not 20 any more!

I intend to keep my Hartke 3500 head, I've never had a problem with it and I like the sound it makes. The only thing I might change is put it in a shallow 2U rack instead of the current full depth one (although it does make for a handy bit to stash the power/signal cables )

So, what cab(s) should I get? This is the rough criteria I have:

1) I need to cover all eventualities - practice, on-stage monitoring for gigs with PA, providing all the bass for small venues with no PA support (my new band has a habit of doing mad outdoor/marquee gigs out in the sticks).
2) I want it to be light - by light I mean less than 30kg for a 4x10 (a MB Standard 104HF is a sliver under 30kg, I nearly chucked one of those in the air at Moffat when lifting it with the strength required to move the ABM )
3) I want it to sound good (I know this is tricky and subjective) - I don't play loud music, my band plays a mix of folk and rock I suppose (with the occasional blues number or cover of Louie Louie in there - always wakes up a sleepy crowd). I compete against a drummer who isn't a heavy hitter, one singer, one guitar and one keyboard/mouthorgan/penny whistle. I guess I want a fairly transparent cab, the Hartke head has plenty EQ options and it should be in charge of the sound, not the cab.
4) Obviously it should be reasonably well made - I'm not one for flinging my gear around or thrashing it, but I don't want it made of matchsticks either.
5) I am trawling the second hand market, I don't think I can justify buying new. Just some good quality intermediate stuff for an intermediate bassist please, I have a rough budget of £400-500 for this.
6) I want to run the Hartke at 4 ohms so that I can get 350W instead of the 230W I get currently.

I've seen quite a few people taking the modular approach with a pair of 12s, what's the deal with that? I like the idea of taking just one to a gig if all I need to do is monitoring (or it's a really small gig), but taking two if I need to bring the noise.

I've had 2 gigs with the new band and the thought of 2 more next month where I'm pretty sure I have to bring backline have galvanised me into some action.

Please tell me what to buy! Don't lead me up the garden path! Read points 1-6!

In patient anticipation of your considered opinions. And sorry for rehashing this often asked question.

Weight was the reason I got rid of my Ashdown cabs. the 4x10" are brilliant but too heavy when stairs are involved.

I bought my Laney cab cos it was relatively cheap, plywood constuction, Celestion cab and 20kg. I love it. I was going to add a second one for bigger gigs but 9 months on i haven't felt the need to.

I am thinking about changing my GK 700RB II amp for one of the MB212 combos and have put a thread on to see if anyone is interested, purely cos I need something smaller to allow me to carry everything I need to in the car. I was going to keep my Laney cab for bigger gigs but might not need it so it would be for sale in that case.

I've done the 2x112 thing and although it is fine, I find the sound more prone to change so I need to keep on top of string changes
even with a horn. I feel there is too large a gap between where the chassis runs out and the horn picks up in usuable terms..hence the string thing. It can be great but can be variable as well

I far prefer 2x210's which produce a more balanced sound across a more usuable frequency..don't lack for bottom end but is tighter and punchier there, and not so dependant on the strings being in top shape all the time.

2x210 will run at 4ohms for that loud gig..assuming 8 per cab and run at 8ohms for single cab work at smaller gigs....where you have power in your amp to spare.
Not so small as a single 12" but it just works so much better so that is where I start from.

Unless you shop very carefully ..I don't think you'll get 2x210 for your budget even second hand...
maybe Eden might do that as they are heavy for today, albeit good cabs, IME. But one cab may be 30 kgs or so... so not too bad.

Mr Neepheid,

[color=#282828]How does this sound to you.....a single cab with 2 x 15" neo speakers, 800W RMS, 4 Ohms, dimensions H17" x W 24" x D 18", complete with one cover to keep it all snuggly warm and clean, weighing only ........wait for it........only 41lbs (<20kgs)![/color]

[color=#282828]1 owner from new, low mileage, weekend use mainly etc etc etc [b]and [/b]within your budget :)[/color]

If you want to give it a try with your amp just drop me a PM with your number and we can arrange a time etc.

Mike

[quote name='Acebassmusic' timestamp='1316452668' post='1378194']Mr Neepheid,

[color=#282828]How does this sound to you.....a single cab with 2 x 15&quot; neo speakers, 800W RMS, 4 Ohms, dimensions H17&quot; x W 24&quot; x D 18&quot;, complete with one cover to keep it all snuggly warm and clean, weighing only ........wait for it........only 41lbs (&lt;20kgs)![/color]

[color=#282828]1 owner from new, low mileage, weekend use mainly etc etc etc [b]and [/b]within your budget :)[/color]

If you want to give it a try with your amp just drop me a PM with your number and we can arrange a time etc.

Mike[/quote]

What cab is that?!

Barefaced is the way forward. Not cheap, but great cabs, am very happy with mine. They periodically crop up on here for sale - I was lucky enough to grab one when it did. They can seem like an Emperors New Cab from the spiel, as it seems that they can`t be that good, for something so small and light, however I`ve always been either a 412, or 410 & 210 together user, but my Compact (115) & Midget (112) are more than enough for my needs.

If you liked the MB 104 then why not get one of them?
Me myself, I'd be looking at 2x10s (or 12s) or Alex's offerings. The Barefaced super 12 runs at 4Ω & apparently a stupidly loud cab, but as you probably know, getting max watts out your head into the one cab doesn't mean any noticeable increase in volume.

[quote name='Acebassmusic' timestamp='1316452668' post='1378194']
Mr Neepheid,

[color=#282828]How does this sound to you.....a single cab with 2 x 15" neo speakers, 800W RMS, 4 Ohms, dimensions H17" x W 24" x D 18", complete with one cover to keep it all snuggly warm and clean, weighing only ........wait for it........only 41lbs (<20kgs)![/color]

Mike
[/quote]

Schroeder?? I'm intrigued :)

[quote name='DirkThrust' timestamp='1316466034' post='1378523']

Schroeder?? I'm intrigued :)
[/quote]

Yip its a Schroeder however its not the same design as they now have on the website - heres a link to the old page [url="http://www.schroedercabinets.com/1515L.htm"]http://www.schroeder...s.com/1515L.htm[/url]

Just look at this website:

http://fmc-audio.jimdo.com/

This is a fine german company, runned by just one man. There is a phone number on the site, You are invited to give Hans a call.

Lots of german bass players use the FMC-Cabs. These are really fine cabs to a reasonable price, so the shipping won't increase
The price over Your limit.

His 410 - cabs are between 23 and 40 kg,
The 215 - cabs are between 25 - and 43 kg, same choice. The weight depends on choosing "lightweight" or "traditional built",
neodymium- or ferrit-speakers. Just look on the site for prices.

Hans from FMC builts cabs of any size from 112 to 810, even a 415 is available

Give it a try.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1316462463' post='1378423']
Barefaced is the way forward. Not cheap, but great cabs, am very happy with mine. They periodically crop up on here for sale - I was lucky enough to grab one when it did. They can seem like an Emperors New Cab from the spiel, as it seems that they can`t be that good, for something so small and light, however I`ve always been either a 412, or 410 & 210 together user, but my Compact (115) & Midget (112) are more than enough for my needs.
[/quote]

+1 once you by BF, you won't be disappointed.. either the compact or the lovely super12 would be your answer. I've never known an unhappy customer for these cabs and for you style, sounds perfect to me

Salvation lies within:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/152267-tech-soundsystems-2x12-600watt-4ohm-neodynamic-cab-now-l400/page__hl__soundsystems__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/152267-tech-soundsystems-2x12-600watt-4ohm-neodynamic-cab-now-l400/page__hl__soundsystems__fromsearch__1[/url]

It'd be mine already if Mike would ship it!

Guest bassman7755

Can unreservedly recommend Barefaced compact (for pretty much anything unless you need a tweeter ...) if you want to go "ultra" light.

If merely fairly light is good enough my epi 310 is still for sale ...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/151523-fs-epifani-310ul-price-reduction-again-l400/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/151523-fs-epifani-310ul-price-reduction-again-l400/page__fromsearch__1[/url]

I'd be looking at 2x12s, I recently downsized from two ceramic 410s to two neo 212s and the difference is incredible. They're a very different sound (I love the sound though so not an issue), much lighter (almost half the weight) and a fair bit smaller. I can carry two basses, my head and a cab around fairly easily (until I have to get through a door :) ), I struggled to move one of my 410s on my own so it's made a world of difference. I can't imagine any gig that they wouldn't be enough for either.

You can pick up a good 2x12 new for around the £500 mark too, so if you can find one 2nd hand, you could save yourself money or if you can't find one you like, there's the option of going new.