Why become a member? ×

So... I have a session with an X-Factor winner this week - Updated with final mix

wateroftyne

All done!

Turns out it was two songs for a DVD soundtrack. That's all I know at the moment.

For speed I just DI'd my P into the desk, and let the plugins do the work.

Joe's vocal isn't on there yet, but the tracks are sounding good so far... I'm looking forward to hearing the finished things.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1316938048' post='1384460']
All done!

Turns out it was two songs for a DVD soundtrack. That's all I know at the moment.

Joe's vocal isn't on there yet, but the tracks are sounding good so far... I'm looking forward to hearing the finished things.
[/quote]

Awesome mate, let us know what they sound like

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1316938048' post='1384460']
All done!

[/quote]
Brilliant WOT,jealous to death :)
Well done and keep us up to date.
Karl.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1321012164' post='1434315']
Finally got a mix of the tune:

[url="http://soundcloud.com/wateroftyne/bigriver-mp3"]http://soundcloud.co...ne/bigriver-mp3[/url]

(I'll leave this up for a couple of days and then I'll pull it)
[/quote]

Nice playing mate... I can't stand them, but your playing is really good.. who else was on the session? assuming you saw them

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1321014355' post='1434345']
Sounds good lovely tone on the bass on there :)
[/quote]
[quote name='algmusic' timestamp='1321014275' post='1434343']
Nice playing mate... I can't stand them, but your playing is really good.. who else was on the session? assuming you saw them
[/quote]

Cheers, folks!

The drummer and guitarist are regular buddies of mine who have been in the biz for years. I love playing with this drummer - he's awesome. We lock in really well.

Mrs. WoT played accordion.

Apart from a (probably/hopefully wrong) feeling that the singer sounds like he couldn't possibly have written that lyric, that is an excellent quality recording and mix, really great performances and a nice song!

The bass sounds really nice, warm and rich, perfectly suited to the song. That actually sounds like a band.

Very impressive mate!

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1321016319' post='1434375']
Apart from a (probably/hopefully wrong) feeling that the singer sounds like he couldn't possibly have written that lyric, that is an excellent quality recording and mix, really great performances and a nice song!

The bass sounds really nice, warm and rich, perfectly suited to the song. That actually sounds like a band.

Very impressive mate!
[/quote]
You're spot on - it's actually a Jimmy Nail lyric. He's qualified to write it. :)

It's a great studio - the best in Newcastle IMO. Really happy with the bass tone. DI'd via one of those magic plug-ins.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1321017218' post='1434388']
You're spot on - it's actually a Jimmy Nail lyric. He's qualified to write it. :)

It's a great studio - the best in Newcastle IMO. Really happy with the bass tone. DI'd via one of those magic plug-ins.
[/quote]
Haha! Jimmy Nail :) All I know is Croc Shoes, but it does sound like and older man's lyric.

I think you should become an ambassador for digital now, fella!

[/quote]

I remember 1980, us lot playing the Turks Head in Darlington, supported by The King Crabs with a certain Jimmy Nail on bass!!!!!

[/quote]

It's funny on those type of pop tunes, when you're in nice studio the Di thing works time and time again... assuming you have a nice bass (which you do). I love recording through amps etc, but bass sometime is just cool through a good DI

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1321028102' post='1434592']
How much artistic licence is allowed/expected with a gig like this?

I find it immensely encouraging yet strange that given the technology available the they actually employed real live musicians for a track like this.
[/quote]
Generally I can play anything I like as long as it fits the track. They're always fairly relaxed sessions and we all trust each other.

I know what you mean re: your other point, but there's always quite a lot going on with 'real' musicians up here. I don't know whether it's stubbornness or what... ha ha. It's a good scene and a nice set-up.

• 4 weeks later...