Why become a member? ×

5 string double bass with high C. 3/4

Hi all,

For sale is my DB. I bought it from yita music, china about 3 or 4 years ago. It has a spruce top with figured maple back and sides and an ebony finger board. This thing sounds great!
The finish is very interesting, it has a vintage look finish. Which I dig.
I bought this bass for £1500 (after paying all taxes etc) then spent about £300 on the strings. I'm looking for about £1200. I'd prefer the bass to be picked up from Liverpool, but as I still have the box I could look into delivery.
I'll put some pics and sound samples on next week.
Any questions, feel free to ask.
Thanks-Paul-

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks timmyta,
I think its violin corners.
I've been sick the past few days so haven't managed to take any pics yet, I shall have some up this week. Hopfully with some more sound samples to.
Thats the great thing about this bass, it's easy to get the higher notes to play melodies etc. And when you do go up into the thumb position you can hit some nice hight notes.
Its also Great for playing fast bop lines as you can pritty much stay in the first position and hit all the notes (in one octave)
Thanks for the reply.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The bass looks pretty and I am in the process of looking for one but I have heard mixed opinions about Yita basses. Also, I could not open the sound file you posted. Is it possible to create one in another format so i can listen to it? Has there been any signs of cracking in the wood? I ask this because of what I've heard about these basses, not to offend you. It is always good to be sure of a few things before making more serious enquiries, like travelling to try it out.
Did you set up the bass or was it set up by a luthier (you may, of course be one)? What strings do you have on it?
Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions

• 1 month later...

Hi Missionary,

Sorry about the late reply.
I'll send you a sound file via PM. The bass has no cracks or anything like that, it is well built and sounds great. The bass was set up by a luthier when I first got it (i've since got into luthiery myself). The set up is somewhere between arco and pizz as I mostly play finger style (jazz) but still wanted to be able to use a bow. The strings are thomastic I think, basically its the same set/ gauge that fracis garcia fons uses. I'll check THe string type and gauge tonight and post tomorrow or over the weekend.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...