Why become a member? ×

"12 Essential Live Bass Playing Tips"

Skol303

Heres my tip, bring your rig, set your sh*t up, tune and play you pansy.
Some of that is common sense and some is rubbish, of course use quality gear, of course tune up and sound check. But I mean, who brings a torch to set up with? I've yet to see a bass rig that I couldn't set up with my eyes closed, even the big complicated rack setups are stored patched together.

Oh and be nice and explain yourself clearly but don't be afraid to call the sound guy a w***er if he's burying you in the mix against your wishes.

Edited by Ross

[quote name='Ross' post='1375425' date='Sep 16 2011, 12:54 PM']Heres my tip, bring your rig, set your sh*t up, tune and play you pansy.
Some of that is common sense and some is rubbish. Who brings a torch to set up with?

Oh and be nice and explain yourself clearly but don't be afraid to call the sound guy a w***er if he's burying you in the mix against your wishes.[/quote]

I bring a torch - does that make me a pansy??

[quote name='51m0n' post='1375426' date='Sep 16 2011, 12:55 PM']I bring a torch - does that make me a pansy??[/quote]

I also carry a small torch to bass gigs (it's just common sense - it'll probably be dark - you might need to see stuff)...but to be fair, I'm not exactly "rugged".

[quote name='51m0n' post='1375426' date='Sep 16 2011, 12:55 PM']I bring a torch - does that make me a pansy??[/quote]
I take a padded laptop bag along with me that contains all my effects, psu, cables, earplugs, cloth, spare batteries etc. After reading the OP I slipped a wee LED light in there too. I must admit I feel a bit more prepared now and have no desire to press flowers or put ribbons in my hair so ... nope. :)

[quote name='Ross' post='1375425' date='Sep 16 2011, 12:54 PM']....Heres my tip, bring your rig, set your sh*t up, tune and play you pansy.
Some of that is common sense and some is rubbish, of course use quality gear, of course tune up and sound check. But I mean, who brings a torch to set up with? I've yet to see a bass rig that I couldn't set up with my eyes closed, even the big complicated rack setups are stored patched together.

Oh and be nice and explain yourself clearly but don't be afraid to call the sound guy a w***er if he's burying you in the mix against your wishes....[/quote]
Do you gig?

If this post is serious you seem to be on a one man mission to give us bass players a bad name!

I currently have two capo's and spare leads in my gig bag and I've yet to use them.......the guitarists on the other hand :) Haven't had to start carrying drum sticks yet though.

+1 for a torch (as I'm still waiting to be bitten by a radioactive rabbit), spare batteries, patch leads.

+1 for carrying a drum key, i'm tempted to give one to our guitarist as well (he's pretty organised before gigs, its only afterwards where he loses everything...including his amp once!)

and i always curse at not bringing a torch, groping round the back of an amp.
Perhaps time to properly sort out my gig bag, i like the idea of an old laptop bag, i have a few kicking around.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1316423114' post='1377715']
I've now replaced the torch in my gear bag (which my drummer had cause to use on Friday night when one of those wee foam discs from under his cymbals went awol) with a torch app on my phone. I still have the wee LED keyring as a backup though. :)
[/quote]

All this time, I've been flummering in the back of the amp unable to see, my phone has a torch in. Thanks for making me realise this. I am a tw*t. :)

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1316103263' post='1374671']
#11 Stay sober
[/quote]

anybody see the santana documentary recently on bbc4 - they had done so much acid at woodstock and were unexpectedly called on to do their set earlier than planned and he described how he was trying to concentrate on his solo whilst also trying to stop the guitar neck from squirming about :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1316176378' post='1375485']
Do you gig?

If this post is serious you seem to be on a one man mission to give us bass players a bad name!
[/quote]
I gig a fair bit yes.
I fail to see how it gives bass players a bad name, how are you supposed to enjoy gigging if you're forever fannying about with your setup or the soundman is being a w***er and trying to dictate how your band should sound against what you have said.
When i turn up to a gig it's no f***ing about, set it up quick, soundcheck and adjust, relax and play/ watch the other bands, pack it up and either move on to somewhere or go home. Enjoyable evening.