Why become a member? ×

Gene Perez master groove playing.

bubinga5

i think this guy is the master of in the pocket groove bass playing.. for me hes as good if not better than Bernard, Julian Crampton, Randy, or any of my favorite players...even Pino.... the more i ear from this guy, the more i think hes the man...

.ive really listened to his bass playing, and i cant hear any flaws in his playing..his fills are flawless, his timing is flawless...i tried to find a tiny bit of bad timing.. but its just not there...he plays with such character also.. of course this is just my OP.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLJ3RDTvmVc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLJ3RDTvmVc[/url]

gotta love the ole Gene Perez...

i have so posted this lot before.. anyways this the making of that track with the master Louis B..... sorry if you have seen this before....

gene Perez with that jazz bass.. am i loosing my mind or does he have a graphite neck on that jazz.. and maybe a status neck at that...??

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL-5Q0IlKJ4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL-5Q0IlKJ4[/url]

for me this guy is one of the special bassists in world.. of course that is subjective..

Edited by bubinga5

I've tended to view Julian Crampton and Gene Perez as equivalents. Gene seems a little more formulaic to me but his grooves are classics and instantly recognisable. I've used a few of his licks in cover songs, like American Boy by Estelle. Shame there isn't more footage of him on Youtube. This is my fave vid out of those you posted, love how he interacts with the keyboardist.

Not sure thats a graphite neck though check around 1:25-1:28.

• Like 1

• 8 years later...

Was just listening to Gene Perez in BeBe Winans "Thank you" on the album "Back to the Old School - Club Classics".   I had to stop and check who was that!  I agree.  His style in that song made me think of Prince, but I think it was more bottom-oriented, and ended up like some mix between that and a more african-oriented style to me.  Awesome, awesome, awesome.....

Cant remember what vid it was that I posted but this is some of the baddest bass playing ive heard. The guy is a monster bass player. This vid is old. I messaged him and he told me that he went to music college and is a reader and plays the piano. But what a feel of a groove this guy has got. And his fills!! 😮 Thanks for resurrecting  such a great thread to a great bass player.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, sammybee said:

Gene Perez is THE man. I would go so far to say that Masters At Work (Louie Vega and Kenny Dope), would be nothing without his contributions to their millions of hits and remixes.

Sold... .Loius Benedetti also. Hes part of what keeps house music with real instruments alive imo. 

• 1 year later...

Yeah, definitely the man. I first heard him on an incognito remixes album years back and he blew me away. I saw him at Love Supreme in 2019 and it was hard to pick out his sound - I'd love to hear him in a small club. I'm also a fan of Julian Crampton and Randy Hope Taylor. Another couple of guys who maybe aren't so well known are Andrew McKinney who plays with JTQ and a guy called Kaspar Vadsholt who is killer on an album called Godzilla dea Groove by the Bentzon Brotherhood. 

• Like 1