Why become a member? ×

Do I get a 2x10 or a 4x10?

FourStrung

Thought I had made up my mind to get a 4 x 10, but now having doubts more about the transportation side of things with the shear size and of course the extra weight. But having looked a some 2 x 10s I am stuck in the middle of them.
The 15" in the combo is nice so I guess I could just get another one – damn another option
Help me out here lads before I do something I may regret.

[quote name='Marvin' post='1369187' date='Sep 11 2011, 10:39 AM']I'd go for another 15. If you like the sound :)[/quote]
Agree, adding 10s will change the sound. No doubt you can then re-eq, but if the sound you like is already there, makes sense to double it.

Thanks Guys, All good stuff.
Sorry if appear to have duplicated somewhat from topic the about adding a 4x10. But I am moving forward with this and grateful for your comments.
Now leaning towards a 2nd 15 as it is beginning to seam like the right way to go for sound, transportability, size & weight.

Since I don't like 15"'s I'd add a 210

Don't see the point of adding a 4x10 at all as 115 + 210 should give you 600 plus watts potential depending on the cabs which is enough for an Ashdown MAG.
If you must add a 115, then you should be getting 600watts again from the pr.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='FourStrung' timestamp='1316457618' post='1378278']
Well - after all that, I took delivery of a 115 deep Ashdown cab today and it sounds really great.
It has a bigger enclosure and give extra dynamics to the sound quality.
It will get full session use this Wednesday and don't think I'm gonna be disappointed
[/quote]

Glad you've found something [i]you like[/i]. This is what's important after all

Ok, it had a good 3 hours of use tonight, full band rehearsal and it sounded just great. :)
I am guessing here but think, adding the Ashdown 115 deep cab apart from giving the full 307 watts of power of the amp also allows the speakers to be driven much better. I notice with my tube guitar amp (Bugera V22) that when you start to drive the speakers the sound is just so much better and assuming that bass shouldn't be much different!
So a big thumbs up for the +115 deep cab IMO or course. And like most things this is subjective I know, but at least I feel I spent the money well.
By the way I bought the cab form Music Store in Germany 169€ inc delivery and arrive quickly too here in France

Glad you like it! :)

Although the flaw in your idea about driving the speakers better with the full wattage from the amp is that each speaker will be receiving less power. A single speaker at 8 ohms will get up to 200 (ish) watts, whereas two cabs at at 4 ohms will be getting 150 watts each!

[quote name='civictiger' timestamp='1316652027' post='1381090']IMO it can go two ways.

4x10 = heavier, but 1 trip to the car
2x10 = lighter, but two trips - unless you have one in each hand but then theres the hassle of balance, getting the cables e.t.c

I'd just get a 4x10.[/quote]

Castors on the 4x10, or a trolly to put the pair of 2x10s on, both of these help al lot.

[quote name='civictiger' timestamp='1316652027' post='1381090']
....4x10 = heavier, but 1 trip to the car
2x10 = lighter, but two trips - unless you have one in each hand but then theres the hassle of balance, getting the cables....
[/quote]
I don't understand this need to do 1 trip from the car!! That's not the point of lightweight or modular rigs. I don't care how many trips it takes as long as I'm not carrying more than 40lbs at a time.

Look after your backs.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1316646434' post='1381039']
Glad you like it! :)

Although the flaw in your idea about driving the speakers better with the full wattage from the amp is that each speaker will be receiving less power. A single speaker at 8 ohms will get up to 200 (ish) watts, whereas two cabs at at 4 ohms will be getting 150 watts each!
[/quote]

+1

Also:

By adding a 15" you will be getting double the volume. By stacking on top of the other you will 'nearly' double the volume again in the lower frequencies. So for the same volume setting on your amp you will be getting 4x the volume out you did before. You'll be driving your amp a lot less. But you will also probably get a much cleaner sound because it's unlikely that the 15"s are now anywhere near their excursion limit.

As was said earlier I have always found that adding a different type of cab either 2x10", 4x10" or even another 1x15" will alter the response of the system. It will certainly be more powerful in the lower frequencies due to the stacking in close proximity. You will probably hear more mids too which are punchy and will cut through. There will also be some "random" frequencies cut where the two cabs cancel each outher out and it seems you have been lucky that they sound good.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1316702507' post='1381704']

By adding a 15" you will be getting double the volume. By stacking on top of the other you will 'nearly' double the volume again in the lower frequencies. So for the same volume setting on your amp you will be getting 4x the volume out you did before. You'll be driving your amp a lot less. But you will also probably get a much cleaner sound because it's unlikely that the 15"s are now anywhere near their excursion limit.

As was said earlier I have always found that adding a different type of cab either 2x10", 4x10" or even another 1x15" will alter the response of the system. It will certainly be more powerful in the lower frequencies due to the stacking in close proximity. You will probably hear more mids too which are punchy and will cut through. There will also be some "random" frequencies cut where the two cabs cancel each outher out and it seems you have been lucky that they sound good.
[/quote]
All true. I was just pointing out that he'd actually be driving each individual speaker less hard. :)