Why become a member? ×

Celinder Classic P (2002)

Kiwi

[i][b]Features:[/b][/i]
This 34” scale instrument was made in 2002 at the Celinder workshops in Copenhagen, Denmark. I bought it from fellow Basschatter, Flanker. The bass has 21 frets and 4 strings with an anodised aluminium pickguard and is finished in candy apple red.

The bass is passive and only has a volume and tone control. The pickups are, as far as I know, Celinder’s own. The body is made from alder and the neck is a single piece of graphite reinforced maple with some interesting figuring around the 11th fret. This figuring is evident in the fingerboard as well suggesting that the fingerboard and neck were probably from the same piece of lumber at one point.

The bass is finished in a durable polyeurathane finish and the body style is a modified precision inspired shape with a slightly more pointed and curved lower horn. The bridge is made from brass and is a fairly standard Celinder type with two dimensions of movement and through body stringing. The tuners are modern Hipshot, cloverleaf, reverse geared types typically of the design associated with vintage fenders.

The neck dimensions are more similar to a jazz bass than a precision and the neck is remarkably easy to play. The bass came with a hardshell, leather trimmed case.

[i][b]Sound:[/b][/i]
With flatwounds on, I guess the sound of this bass could be best described as warm and mellow. It was designed to sound like a 70’s Fender Precision and does the job superbly. A few choice notes evokes all those Lalo Shifrin numbers for Dirty Harry as well as some of those classic motown numbers.

The lows are very full and punchy and the highs restrained thanks to the string choice. The bass doesn’t sound clanky or brittle at all. At the moment I use the bass with Gallien Krueger and Trace valve amps through Gallien Krueger and EBS neo 2x12 cabs. It sounds superb through all amps but probably sounds punchier through the Gallien Krueger amp and fuller through the Trace V8.

In terms of the variety of sounds, the bass isn’t the most versatile but because of the pedigree of the classic precision design, it sits remarkably well in a surprising number of songs over a wide variety of genres. I tend to use it for Motown and British disco covers. I’ve yet to hear any hum or microphony from the instrument in high gain situations.

[b][i]Action Fit and Finish:[/i][/b]
The action of this instrument is pretty good. The finish of components is superb and flawless and the fit is also excellent and faultless.

[i][b]Reliability/Durability:[/b][/i]
The bass has proven very reliable in live situations, the hardware is robust and the neck stable. No issues with the performance of the instrument whatsoever.

[i][b]Customer Support:[/b][/i]
I have dealt with Chris Celinder on one occasion and found him to be relatively easy to deal with although I have yet to make any real demands of him. I understand that others have had less than satisfactory experiences with him. I’ve heard from the Bass Gallery that Chris has had a series of serious personal and business situations that may have contributed to his temperamental reactions at times.

[i][b]Overall rating:[/b][/i]
I own a range of other bass gear including Smiths, Musicmans, an Alembic, a Celinder Update J and Pedulla plus more stuff I’ve sold on. I’ve been very satisfied with the bass since owning it, its managed to hit the right spot every time I’ve used it. Generally this is my main bass when I need a greasy, funky 70’s bass sound or embarrass myself by attempting a James Jamerson impersonation.

Check out other reviews here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=15451"]Smith BSR5GN[/url]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=15452"]Smith BSR5GN fretless[/url]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=15449"]Celinder Update J[/url]

Great bass and review. I had the pleasure of playing this when it was for sale in the Netherlands
Two details.

- I think this is not an Update model, but an Celinder P Classic. these are Celinders passive basses ment to duplicate the magic of very early Fenders, were the Update is more like a 70'ies on steroids bass.

- The Pickups is a SD Antiquity II, as I was told. Quite standard for a Classic model.

[quote name='SpinalTap' post='161097' date='Mar 20 2008, 09:00 PM']Great bass and review. I had the pleasure of playing this when it was for sale in the Netherlands
Two details.

- I think this is not an Update model, but an Celinder P Classic. these are Celinders passive basses ment to duplicate the magic of very early Fenders, were the Update is more like a 70'ies on steroids bass.

- The Pickups is a SD Antiquity II, as I was told. Quite standard for a Classic model.[/quote]

Cheers for the info!

I see BassXchange have photos of both:

[i]Update P[/i]

[i]Classic P[/i]

Are the only differences the active eq, anodised pickguard and yellow-ish neck?

The adonized pickguard is not standard on a P Classic, just something you can choose.
You might be right on the yellow-isch neck, although I heard some years ago Celinder changed the finish on all his neck to some darker transparant colour.
They are custom basses, so you can choose anything you want. The Celinders in shops seem to be mostly 5 string Updates in blue or just an Ash body.

I see, I've changed the title. :)

I'm still not clear on what the difference is between a classic and an update P though. Is it just the active eq? Even if it was designed to emulate a 60's bass, it totally fits the bill for 70's disco and funk. I'm not going to lose sleep over the difference if its just a matter of a preamp.

Difference between Update and Classic. I'm not totally sure on some details, but here are some differences.
As I said earlier you can choose any combination, as these are custom handmade basses......

(J) Update
70ies pickup placement
heavy ash body
9" radius fretboard
maple fretboard
Active electronics
Celinder HC pickups

(J) Classic
60ies pickup placement
Alder body
7.25" radius
braz. rosewood fretboard with claydots
passive electronics
SD Antiquity II/ Fralin/ or the upcomming Celinder SC pickups.
usually the J Classic has a period correct rosewood fretboard, and P Classic I have seen some with rosewood some with maple.

Here is a P Classic with braz rosewood fretboard.....
[url="http://www.bassalone.com/product_detail_1.php?id=63&photo=Celinder_P_Classic_4_001.jpg"]http://www.bassalone.com/product_detail_1....assic_4_001.jpg[/url]

Between the Classic and Update you have the vintage model
it's sort of a J Classic with active electronics, Celinder HC pickups!

To make it even more complicated, today I received a confirmation for my custom ordered Celinder fretless
a J Vintage with chambered mahogany body, cocobolo top, Celinder SC pickups brazilian rosewood unlined fretboard, Birdseyemaple J Classic neck!
So as you can see there are alot of options. More Fodera than Sadowsky in that way.

Hope I made the differences clear :)

Edited by SpinalTap

[quote name='SpinalTap' post='161226' date='Mar 21 2008, 12:21 AM']Here is a P Classic with braz rosewood fretboard.....
[url="http://www.bassalone.com/product_detail_1.php?id=63&photo=Celinder_P_Classic_4_001.jpg"]http://www.bassalone.com/product_detail_1....assic_4_001.jpg[/url]

Between the Classic and Update you have the vintage model
it's sort of a J Classic with active electronics, Celinder HC pickups!

To make it even more complicated, today I received a confirmation for my custom ordered Celinder fretless
a J Vintage with chambered mahogany body, cocobolo top, Celinder SC pickups brazilian rosewood unlined fretboard, Birdseyemaple J Classic neck!
So as you can see there are alot of options. More Fodera than Sadowsky in that way.

Hope I made the differences clear :)[/quote]

Thanks but I was more after the differences for the p-bass. I might email Chris and ask him.

There is no real difference between the J and the P basses (except for the pickup location)
The P Update has a Celinder (kent armstrong) pickup, while the Classic the Antiquity II/Lindy Fralin)
Here is all the information on sleekelite, that used to be on the Celinder site also...

[url="http://www.sleekelite.com/catalog/celinder.html"]http://www.sleekelite.com/catalog/celinder.html[/url]

[quote name='SpinalTap' post='161334' date='Mar 21 2008, 11:20 AM']There is no real difference between the J and the P basses (except for the pickup location)[/quote]I think you keep misunderstanding my question. :) But thanks for your help all the same.[quote name='SpinalTap' post='161334' date='Mar 21 2008, 11:20 AM']The P Update has a Celinder (kent armstrong) pickup, while the Classic the Antiquity II/Lindy Fralin)Here is all the information on sleekelite, that used to be on the Celinder site also...[url="http://www.sleekelite.com/catalog/celinder.html"]http://www.sleekelite.com/catalog/celinder.html[/url][/quote]Ah! Thats interesting! Table replicated below for edificated browserlating.

P Update P Vintage P Classic
NECK:   NECK:   NECK:  
Attachment : Bolt-on Attachment : Bolt-on Attachment : Bolt-on
Wood : 1pc. Maple with Graphite Reinforcement. Wood : 1pc. Maple with Graphite Reinforcement Wood : 1pc. Maple with Graphite Reinforcement
Fingerboard : Maple, Black Top and Side Dots Fingerboard : Pau Ferro, M.O.P. Top and Vintage Acrylic Side Dots Fingerboard : Maple, Black Top Dots and Side Dots
Scale : 34" (863,6mm) / 4 String Scale : 34" (863,6mm). / 4 String Scale : 34" (863,6mm)
  35" (889mm) / 5 String   35" (889mm). / 5 String    
Frets : 21, "medium jumbo" frets Frets : 21, "vintage" frets Frets : 21, "vintage" frets
Nut : Bone Nut : Bone Nut : Bone
Tuning Gears : HIPSHOT Tuning Gears : HIPSHOT Tuning Gears : Hipshot HB-3 Reverse-turn
Finish : Acrylic, Satin Feel on Back of Neck Finish : Acrylic, "vintage-oil" tint, Satin Feel on Back of neck Finish : Acrylic, "vintage-oil" tint
BODY:  
BODY:   BODY:   Wood : Select Danish Alder
Wood : Select Danish Ash Wood : Select Danish Alder Pickups : FRALIN PRECISION BASS, Passive, Hand-wound
Pickups : CELINDER Original, Passive, Hand-wound Pickups : CELINDER Original, Passive, Humcancelling Controls : Volume, Tone (treble-cut)
Controls : Volume, bass (cut/boost), treble (cut) Controls : Volume, bass (cut/boost), treble (cut) Preamp : None, Jack Output on Front, Reinforced
Preamp : CELINDER CP-IIIA Preamp : CELINDER CP-IIIA Bridge : CELINDER Original
Bridge : CELINDER Original Bridge : CELINDER Original Specials : Steel Cover Over Neck Pickup
Finish : High Gloss, Acrylic Finish : High Gloss, Acrylic Finish : High Gloss, Acrylic
Formatting is a bit screwed up but I don't know html very well.