Why become a member? ×

First tune from my new band

Lord Sausage

This is the first song from my new band the producers.
This is not the final mix, we will be doing that next week. If you could give any opinions on the mix that would be greatly appreciated.
Also feel free to comment on the performances and what you think of the actual tune.
Thank you very much

Edited by Lord Sausage

[quote name='danbowskill' post='1368789' date='Sep 10 2011, 06:43 PM']sounds good :-) you got a nice tone on the bass (sansamp ?).
i think the guitar is way to loud in the mix (or the bass n drums need to come up? ) but i guess that will come out more in the mix and master.
got a bit of a early 90s feel :)[/quote]
Thanks. the amp was an Ampeg head D.I'd into desk.
The gtrs are a bit too loud. A bit to middley to toppy as well which makes it more audible.
Thanks for the comment

[quote name='Lord Sausage' post='1368794' date='Sep 10 2011, 06:52 PM']Thanks. the amp was an Ampeg head D.I'd into desk.
The gtrs are a bit too loud. A bit to middley to toppy as well which makes it more audible.
Thanks for the comment[/quote]
What's the point of this recording forum. You hardly get any comments to help! Surely defeating the purpose of a forum!

[quote name='Lord Sausage' post='1372377' date='Sep 13 2011, 07:24 PM']What's the point of this recording forum. You hardly get any comments to help! Surely defeating the purpose of a forum![/quote]

I'm afraid a lot of people don't like to comment in case it comes across badly.

I have posted a few tracks (mainly me playing badly :) ) and only usually get a couple of comments.

Your track sounds very good. I like the tune and the mix is not all that 'toppy' tbh.

I can hear the bass and drums. The guitars may be a tad loud but not that much.

The quiet section near the end, where the bass really comes to the front, is superb.

I for one really enjoyed it, good work.

Blademan

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1372386' date='Sep 13 2011, 07:31 PM']I'm afraid a lot of people don't like to comment in case it comes across badly.

I have posted a few tracks (mainly me playing badly :) ) and only usually get a couple of comments.

Your track sounds very good. I like the tune and the mix is not all that 'toppy' tbh.

I can hear the bass and drums. The guitars may be a tad loud but not that much.

The quiet section near the end, where the bass really comes to the front, is superb.

I for one really enjoyed it, good work.

Blademan[/quote]
thank you kindly sir!
bizarrely its the guitarist who thinks the bass isn't loud enough, and it's me who thinks the guitars are too toppy.
That's why opinon'ss off here, good or bad, are relevant because they can help get your work sorted. i appreciate criticism.
Thanks a lot and i will look out for your stuff on here.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' post='1372377' date='Sep 13 2011, 07:24 PM']What's the point of this recording forum. You hardly get any comments to help! Surely defeating the purpose of a forum![/quote]

^ This is typical of most 'comment on my song' forums, to be honest. I think people are either worried about causing upset with critical feedback; or are perhaps more interested in having people comment on their own music, than commenting on others. Or perhaps they just can't be a$$ed?! :) Don't take it personally whichever is the case.

As for your track, the song itself is good but it's arguably let down by the mix. No big deal, as this can obviously be fixed! I'm no expert in that regard - I'm just a happy hobbyist when it comes to mixing - but as others have mentioned, it needs more clarity and balance between the different elements of the song. The guitars in particular need taming (typically!) and the vocal bringing forward.

As an aside, your band name - The Producers - made me think of The Editors. Don't know if that means anything, just passing on feedback.

[quote name='TorVic' post='1372709' date='Sep 14 2011, 12:25 AM']Like the song! A good mix and it could be a hit! All the best!
(2p: distorted guitars are too prominent - drops back too much when it switches to clean. voice could be more in the forefront.)[/quote]
Nice one. i think the prominence of the guitar is due to eq on distortion. Your comments back up what i thought wit relation to them. Hadn't even given regard to the vocal. so thanks for that. will have a re listen to it.

[quote name='Skol303' post='1373250' date='Sep 14 2011, 02:13 PM']^ This is typical of most 'comment on my song' forums, to be honest. I think people are either worried about causing upset with critical feedback; or are perhaps more interested in having people comment on their own music, than commenting on others. Or perhaps they just can't be a$$ed?! :) Don't take it personally whichever is the case.

As for your track, the song itself is good but it's arguably let down by the mix. No big deal, as this can obviously be fixed! I'm no expert in that regard - I'm just a happy hobbyist when it comes to mixing - but as others have mentioned, it needs more clarity and balance between the different elements of the song. The guitars in particular need taming (typically!) and the vocal bringing forward.

As an aside, your band name - The Producers - made me think of The Editors. Don't know if that means anything, just passing on feedback.[/quote]
Fair point! But if you put stuff up you should expect some constructive criticism. This isn't an arse lickin forum! The comments i've received have help with extra insight before the final mix. Thanks a lot.

Oh yeah and the name has nowt to do with The Editors. It's a direct rip off, of the classic Mel Brooks comedy.

Edited by Lord Sausage