Why become a member? ×

Ampeg Heritage B-15 Reissue

Grand Wazoo

Its a cool rig and I want one. the bloke demoing seems to be talking a load of old bollocks as if its been soaked in snake oil.

My modern lightweight rig sounds just as good to me and weighs much less - it doesn't look as cool though. I already have all the tubbiness I need.

Didn't Jamerson normally DI into the desk?

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

Yes I know what you are saying, and not wanting to gloat I can reassure you that the Ashdown Drophead 30W (which can be considered a copy of the B-15) sounds just as good which is why, while I appreciate the fact that the Ampeg is the bueprint from which the Drophead was designed from, I wouldn't want to own one and pay 1000's to have it imported and modified with a 220-240V transformer.

I am more than content with this:

It's quite obvious that he's an Ampeg artist - I've never heard any 'reviewer' wax lyrical over anything as much before!

I would argue that the tone he's getting is largely down to the Fender P with flatwounds too, there isn't really that much variation on offer from the amp that you can't get from most others.

I'll hold my final judgement until I hear someone playing 'Magic Bus' through one - that is the quintessential muted pick sound of the 60s!

[quote name='rodl2005' post='1370059' date='Sep 12 2011, 07:17 AM']So GW, you have a li'l Bastard do you? & reckon it's good? Being here in Tasmania, I'll be lucky to try one unless I find one in Melb. or Sydney sometime......
Gimme all the goods on it please![/quote]

Not with that silly avatar, I just can't keep a straight face, sorry! Hahaha

here here, Mr. Tasmania, there is a thread on that amp. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=110827&view=findpost&p=1027411"][b]Click here please[/b][/url]

• 4 months later...

Surprised there isn't an update to this. There was a one in the US on ebay a short while ago and it went for about £2500 if I recall. I was worried that if I through caution to the wind and went for it and subsequently imported it into the UK that customs could seize it, I'd be in bother and severely out of pocket. I presume those regulations apply to 'recent 'used items as well as new. Luckily there is another run of 100 Heritage B-15s, this time for worldwide distribution with the required changes to get through the European regulations. In the UK the RRP is an unbelievable £4995. I think the amp sounds lovely and toasty but the Drophead is certainly a more favourably priced alternative. But I really dig the 60s vibe on the B-15. The best bass tone I ever had in the studio was when I played through the studio B-15. It was just how I like to hear warm bass.

Edited by markorbit