Why become a member? ×

Fender Rumble Combo's

Painless

I'm currently doing a fair amount of research into getting a half decent combo amp. I'm looking for something that will be good for home practice and sufficient for jamming with others / gigging in small venues etc. I'm thinking that a combo of around 100-150 watts would be more than ideal. My current bass is a MIM Fender Jazz Fretless.

I currently have my eye on the Fender Rumble 100/210 combo, does anyone have any experience of this amp? I had also thought about the Line6 Lowdown 150 too, but am thinking the Fender might be a better buy, especially with Line6 being fairly new to the bass amp market? I also can't help but think that with the different models the Lowdown offers, I'll basically just end up liking one and sticking with it anyway. Moneywise, I'd like to get change from about $500.

I like to experiment with playing a varying amount of styles, but mainly stick to blues with a hint of rock thrown into it.

I'm sure these kind of threads can get tiring, but I don't get a lot of time to get out and shop around plus with there being a lack of shops around here that stock any decent range of bass gear.

Am I missing any choices?

Thanks in advance.

Russ.

Hello mate,

I've not had any experience with the particular combo you're looking at, but I have played countless gigs with a Fender Rumble 60 combo (owned by my keyboard player actually), and a friend of mine owns the Fender Rumble 100.

Both are cracking amps for the money - my Warwick sounded great through the 60, the 12" speaker had a lovely punchy tone and you could hear every note clearly in a band situation. The EQ was also very versatile and I could obtain most of the sounds required by a rock and blues band (similar to your needs)

Have you looked at the Hartke combos, specifically the Kickback models? I currently play through the Kickback 12, and it's easily the best solid state combo I've played through. Plenty of power for gigs (with PA support) and sounds great at home too. If you wanted a little more low end, the Kickback 15 is quite similar but with a bigger speaker. I'd investigate these if you get a chance, they're great IMO, but of course you'll only know for sure if you play through one!

Hope this helps,

Danny

I'm not sure it was this model of combo but Bassguitar mag reviewed one of the Fender Bass combos - it had modeling, drum machine, practice looping etc - and thay absolutely loved it.
Let me know if you want me to dig the review out.
OG

Thanks guys!

I'm at work right now so can't get to that link (blocked!) but I'll be sure to check it out when I get home.

I'll definately add the Hartke's to my list, that's a glowing recommendation. Looks like I may have to wait a little while anyway until my cash flow improves though :)

Going back to the Rumble 100's, these are offered in two configurations... a 2x10 with a horn and a 1x12 with a horn but with the same basic 'head' unit. Do you guys think that the different speaker options will make enough of a difference with a 100watt combo to be worthy of consideration? It strikes me that a 1x12 will naturally be more portable, but a 2x10 will offer a clearer / crisper sound?

Russ.

[quote name='acidbass' post='16019' date='Jun 12 2007, 02:55 AM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut88RYybqiA"]Linky Linky[/url]

As OG says, the review in BP Mag was also very good, I think Ed Friedland did it too.[/quote]

Hey good link. There's some very good other videos on there - reviews and lessons.

[quote name='Painless' post='16290' date='Jun 12 2007, 03:15 PM']Do you guys think that the different speaker options will make enough of a difference with a 100watt combo to be worthy of consideration? It strikes me that a 1x12 will naturally be more portable, but a 2x10 will offer a clearer / crisper sound?[/quote]

Those are the two main advantages of each really, you may find that the 2x10 will appear louder as the two speakers are handling smaller loads and spreading the sound more evenly. The 1x12 may have an increased midrange though, and you may find that it cuts through better in a live situation.

[quote name='ste_m3' post='17232' date='Jun 13 2007, 09:53 PM']i wasnt dreaming... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=619"]Ashdown Combos[/url]

Theyll eat any of the aforementioned :)[/quote]

Well some of us just don't like them ...
Never could get a good sound out of mine ...

the ABM's as has been said elsewhere do have a warm sound, if you are looking for something a bit more edgey then have a look at the MAG range (yes i know i bought one so i should be happy with it :) )
when i was looking at amps i was very keen on the rumble but was worried by the 100watt max (think it was the one with the 15" driver) but liked the sound and they are very expensive for what you get IMHO. i got as good if not better sounds out of the mag and there seems to be more available sounds in it too and a 307watt 210 combo for 300 quid can't be beat really.

but like they say it may not be for you but defo worth a listen.

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='17398' date='Jun 14 2007, 10:03 AM']the ABM's as has been said elsewhere do have a warm sound, if you are looking for something a bit more edgey then have a look at the MAG range (yes i know i bought one so i should be happy with it :) )
when i was looking at amps i was very keen on the rumble but was worried by the 100watt max (think it was the one with the 15" driver) but liked the sound and they are very expensive for what you get IMHO. i got as good if not better sounds out of the mag and there seems to be more available sounds in it too and a 307watt 210 combo for 300 quid can't be beat really.

but like they say it may not be for you but defo worth a listen.[/quote]

Mike has a point - 100 watts isn't really enough to play in a club with a drummer and a couple of guitars ..
you may - just - get away with it if you add another speaker cab to shift more air but a safer bet would be something that has 300 watts to start with.

Anyway the rule with anything like this is to take your bass down to "Sound Control" or your local music store on a Wednesday morning and just play through as many different makes and speaker config combos you can find.
Then you'll have a better idea of the makes and speaker sizes you like...
Then look through the for sale bit here and post a wanted ad .. and EBay etc ...

Painless, as you are currenty in the good 'ole US of A try and get a 2nd hand Mesa Walkabout Scout 12 (you shuold be able to get for your around $500 mark) you will have 300w if you need them and its aVERY loud cab....

I tried the Rumble 210 and Boss Dbass 210 in shops befreo deciding on the 1x12 (also available in 1x15----OUCH) Mesa which in my opion is far better tone and more tonally versatile !!!!!!!

Firstly I want to say thanks to everyone for their input, you've all given me plenty to ponder over.

If I do purchase, it will probably be online from musiciansfriend as they seem to offer the best discount I've seen so far, unless anyone else knows better? I think I would rather go for a new unit than a used one.

+1 to the point of getting out and trying some combo's in the shops, I just need to find one around here that actually knows that bass exists and devotes more than one dusty corner to it. The stores I've been to around here so far just only seem to concentrate on guitar equipment and not bass. There ought to be a word for that.... basscistism?

Russ.

[quote name='Painless' post='17825' date='Jun 14 2007, 08:07 PM']Firstly I want to say thanks to everyone for their input, you've all given me plenty to ponder over.

If I do purchase, it will probably be online from musiciansfriend as they seem to offer the best discount I've seen so far, unless anyone else knows better? I think I would rather go for a new unit than a used one.

+1 to the point of getting out and trying some combo's in the shops, I just need to find one around here that actually knows that bass exists and devotes more than one dusty corner to it. The stores I've been to around here so far just only seem to concentrate on guitar equipment and not bass. There ought to be a word for that.... basscistism?

Russ.[/quote]

Ah well as you are in the US... The Peavey BAM 210 is on sale there at one of the big onlines for $599 or so. At that price it's an absolute steal ...
You may have to google for a few hours to find it as some stores are still selling them for 1200 dollars but I definately saw it last week, just can't find it again ..

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='18187' date='Jun 15 2007, 12:16 PM']My 100w watt Rumble used to hold its own doing small pub gigs. They do also have a balanced XLR out so you could run it into the PA for bigger ones. I got GAS though and felt the urge to upgrade![/quote]

Yeah but he's in the states where a small club bass rig is 1000 watts ...... :) (sorry talk like that got me chucked off US forums :huh:

[quote name='OldGit' post='18330' date='Jun 15 2007, 10:26 AM']Yeah but he's in the states where a small club bass rig is 1000 watts ...... :) (sorry talk like that got me chucked off US forums :huh:[/quote]

LoL!!!

I actually live on Marylands Eastern Shore, which is farmer and redneck country... anything over 150 watts and you risk blowing their straw hats off!

[quote name='Painless' post='18600' date='Jun 15 2007, 10:30 PM']LoL!!!

I actually live on Marylands Eastern Shore, which is farmer and redneck country... anything over 150 watts and you risk blowing their straw hats off![/quote]

My apologies :) That sounds a whole lot more civilised to me :huh:
Then Rumble-on, boy

[quote name='The Burpster' post='18675' date='Jun 15 2007, 10:28 PM']Painful..[/quote]

I do hope you're not referring to my bass playing, good sir!!! :huh: .... but then my cat would probably agree with you!

[quote name='The Burpster' post='18675' date='Jun 15 2007, 10:28 PM']I have contacts in stores in either Ohio or Kentucky if they are any use to you? If so PM me![/quote]

I'm still not up on my US geography, but Ohio is the closest of those two states, still a thousand or so miles away though :)

Thank you for the offer though, it's appreciated!

Russ.