Why become a member? ×

1/2 size/full size?

Owen

I have just bought an Arco bass from the for sale forum. It is set up to be a 34" scale but I am messing with it to make it 38" scale which is, I believe, 1/2 size. What is the difference between "full size strings" and "1/2 size strings"? Is it just (obv) length or are there tensions and stuff involved? I am thinking about a set of Honeys cos I like them and need to do the Arco thing (otherwise it would be rockabilly all the way).

Mr Bassman, thanks for your kind offer, but the bass in question has bass guitar machine heads and it is making a real mess of whatever I put on at the moment. Have a set of 1/2 size 2nd hand spiros on the way and when I have got a new bridge set and all that I might put my present Honeys on from my DB and try a set of those solo Innovation ones tuned to concert pitch on my DB. I would not want to damage your D. I am thinking heat shrink on the Honeys at the machine head stress end to hold the wraps in, because I will need to snip them cos there is not much room on the machine heads. This would go for any 1/2 size strings as well.

Hi Owen,
Right; the half size are different, as you suspected - in order to get the tension right they have to be heavier which means more metal wraps on the string, which in turn means that they are a slightly thicker gauge. They're currently looking into new materials in order to try and bring down the diameter. Hope that helps....

Ah! Billy Thompson.... That vid is about 10 years old - and I haven't seen him in all that time - please say hi for me next time you see him.

Cheers,
Daf

Edited by daflewis

Thanks Daf. I took the bass up to my luthier (!) who is doing stuff to it and installing the spiros (thanks Gareth). I am no great fan of spiros but they will do for now and I might go for a set of the solo Inno string tuned to concert when I am happy with the setup of the instrument.

[quote name='owen' post='1367111' date='Sep 8 2011, 10:52 PM']Thanks Daf. I took the bass up to my luthier (!) who is doing stuff to it and installing the spiros (thanks Gareth). I am no great fan of spiros but they will do for now and I might go for a set of the solo Inno string tuned to concert when I am happy with the setup of the instrument.[/quote]

Where's the thumbs up icon when you need it! Cheers Owen, I hope they do a job for you.