Why become a member? ×

Bass Gallery- Very Dissapointed

Billy Apple

It's funny, although I look after my basses like a newborn.

It wouldn't bother me if it had a little scratch on the back form belt buckle as the minute you take it out of the shop you've lost 30-40% of it's value now it's secondhand. I guess for 3.5k, I might think differently though

[quote name='throwoff' post='1367519' date='Sep 9 2011, 12:25 PM']I for one have bought many things on a whim before simply because I played with them and liked them. Just because you walk into a shop with no intention to buy does not mean you cant A afford to or B decide to.

If it means the assistant asks you to empty your pockets and remove your belt before playing then eyes you like a hawk while you do I understand if the bass is valuable.

Why dont shops ask people to put on a dressing gown when they want to play something highly expensive for instance, yes you look silly but the isntrument is then supported on a soft fabric in all contact points. I for one as a customer would completely respect this and being made to look a bit foolish may well put off a lot of window shoppers as well.

Theres ways around the possible damage argument.

A flat buy it or get out attitude wins no sympathy from me.[/quote]

I buy things on a whim too; and I think a whim would be covered by my point... but there are plenty who just try, and nothing else. I'm sure the shops see a lot of these people, and it's probably understandable they get a little pissy. I don't necessarily think walking through the shop door gives anyone licence to just try whatever.

I'm playing devil's advocate, a little. Normally I just grump about the shop :)

I think the belt idea is a great one.

[quote name='algmusic' post='1367539' date='Sep 9 2011, 12:36 PM'][b]Hats of to The Bass Gallery and much much respect to Alex, as it takes a real gentlemen to deal with a difficult situation to resolve this situation.[/b] Many other companies would have just ignored it.[/quote]

I dont really see what choice he had, otherwise he'd look a ####, for ignoring it.

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1367664' date='Sep 9 2011, 02:12 PM']I buy things on a whim too; and I think a whim would be covered by my point... but there are plenty who just try, and nothing else. I'm sure the shops see a lot of these people, and it's probably understandable they get a little pissy. I don't necessarily think walking through the shop door gives anyone licence to just try whatever.

I'm playing devil's advocate, a little. Normally I just grump about the shop :)

I think the belt idea is a great one.[/quote]

I've worked in a shop and lots of people walk in and out of your shop, but you will never really know if they came in day/weeks/years before and saw at your shop or someone elses before they bought it at your shop. You just have to be nice to everyone and your reputation will make the sales, unless you're prices are dirt cheap

[quote name='daz' post='1367666' date='Sep 9 2011, 02:14 PM']I dont really see what choice he had, otherwise he'd look a ####, for ignoring it.[/quote]

I really have to disagree.. this site is very blunt about people's actions here (you have just proved this, by your comment) good and bad, and this the first time I have seen someone and a company respond to criticism and tried to make it right on 'bass forum'.

I'm the first one to complain especially on here, but at the same time, I try to be the first to sort things out and to give people their dues..

[quote name='fingerz' post='1367369' date='Sep 9 2011, 10:16 AM']But did you like the bass?! You describe falling in love with something and wanting it..[/quote]

I've said earlier that the shine wore off the moment, and I lost the impetus. I certainly don't think that I deserve a lot of attention, and it's not about the money, at the time I felt like I was somewhat invisible. Buying something like a Wal is an emotional purchase to me, and one which I would like to feel positive about. But, in fairness to Alex, he has come on the thread, given his point of view, and offered an apology, which goes a long way in my book.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1367466' date='Sep 9 2011, 11:41 AM']The Take It Away scheme was originally available to everyone, but now it is only for people between 18 and 25. For anyone over that age, there is a very reasonable 12-month scheme at 4.9% interest (from us, anyway).[/quote]

Good to know :) does 18-25 include 25 year olds? So I could potentially do it a day before I turn 26? :)

[quote name='billyapple' post='1367977' date='Sep 9 2011, 07:23 PM']I've said earlier that the shine wore off the moment, and I lost the impetus. I certainly don't think that I deserve a lot of attention, and it's not about the money, at the time I felt like I was somewhat invisible. Buying something like a Wal is an emotional purchase to me, and one which I would like to feel positive about. But, in fairness to Alex, he has come on the thread, given his point of view, and offered an apology, which goes a long way in my book.[/quote]

So all you have to do now is accept Alex apology in person, find the time to go back there, shake hands with Alex and forget about the Wal, instead ask him to put a Dingwall ABZ 5 on your lap... then you'll have played something that will impress you for rest of your life. Guaranteed

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1367511' date='Sep 9 2011, 12:19 PM']I was mulling this over - but do we not need to be a little bit honest with ourselves when we approach these shops?

I mean, it's alright saying "well, I could have bought it - and everything else on the wall with it"; good for you. And it's right that you should try before you buy.

But, on the day, were you actually buying? And I don't mean the in the process of handing over the cash; but the whole decision-making process that goes with it.

I've slated shops for poor service before - and we should slate poor service. It's unacceptable. But we should also be honest about what we're about - otherwise we're in the same camp as so many others, who head in, expect to try gear, and have no intention of putting any business their way.[/quote]

My 'Could have bought it..' comment was me being a little flippant, and I was upset at the time. I would shudder to think of myself being so vulgar buying stuff just 'cos it's pricey. I think once you get over a certain price threshold the process becomes one of the heart, and the cost less relevant. I'm very choosy, and have surprisingly little gear. It's hard to say whether I would have bought it on the day, as that would have taken a combination of factors that were not present on that afternoon. Yes, I could have spanked the credit card, but I would've thought a couple of visits more likely. But, yes, I was undergoing a buying decision making process.

Anyway, I feel like I've rinsed out my thoughts on this one. I have to reiterate, the only reason I posted this in the first place was my surprise, considering many many BC'ers positive comments about the Bass Gallery. I would hope any prospective BG visitors read this post through in its entirety and see the huge amount of more than satisfied customers they have. Also, Alex has commented on this thread which takes back-bone and is a decent thing to do.

I have reassessed my position, and admit that phoning ahead would have been a good idea. As to my thread title, Disappointed, yes. First and last visit? I'm not so sure.

[quote name='fender73' post='1368013' date='Sep 9 2011, 08:12 PM']Given the above post, surely this thread has run it's course and should be locked. It seems unfair that it stays at the top of this board (yes i KNOW my post will put it there again) but a point has been raised and discussed, and in my opinion should be closed.[/quote]

Fair-Do's. Never done it tho... How does one go on about locking a topic?

A bit late to this thread, but I've encountered Alex both at the old Bass Centre in Wapping (great days) & the Gallery & have always found him to be a top fella - always willing to help & have a quick chat. My missus found him to be really helpful when she bought me a couple of Epifani cabs for a wedding anniversary present a few years back.

I think the OP just caught him on bad day, but Alex has said sorry & looks like both parties are willing to let bygones be bygones :) .

Edited by louisthebass

[quote name='throwoff' post='1367519' date='Sep 9 2011, 12:25 PM']I for one have bought many things on a whim before simply because I played with them and liked them. Just because you walk into a shop with no intention to buy does not mean you cant A afford to or B decide to.

If it means the assistant asks you to empty your pockets and remove your belt before playing then eyes you like a hawk while you do I understand if the bass is valuable.

Why dont shops ask people to put on a dressing gown when they want to play something highly expensive for instance, yes you look silly but the isntrument is then supported on a soft fabric in all contact points. I for one as a customer would completely respect this and being made to look a bit foolish may well put off a lot of window shoppers as well.

Theres ways around the possible damage argument.

A flat buy it or get out attitude wins no sympathy from me.[/quote]

MB1. :)
I do all the shopping in my dressing gown since i stopped taking my medication.

Edited by MB1

[quote name='fender73' post='1364937' date='Sep 7 2011, 08:42 AM']Off topic a bit but maybe shops should invest in a few of these strectchy guitar/bass body covers (Axe Jackets??) - that way, it allows the potential purchaser to handle the bass and provide the shop with a little more confidence?[/quote]

I have never heard of these and can find no googlinfo on it. Do you have any pics of these guitar condoms ?

[quote name='daz' post='1368079' date='Sep 9 2011, 09:10 PM']I have never heard of these and can find no googlinfo on it. Do you have any pics of these guitar condoms ?[/quote]
Voila [url="https://axeglove.3dcartstores.com/mobile/home.asp?#homeSubCat_7_1"]https://axeglove.3dcartstores.com/mobile/ho...#homeSubCat_7_1[/url]

[quote name='louisthebass' post='1368046' date='Sep 9 2011, 08:38 PM']A bit late to this thread, but I've encountered Alex both at the old Bass Centre in Wapping (great days) & the Gallery & have always found him to be a top fella[/quote]

An, I thought I recognised him when I first visited the Gallery, I used to go to the Bass centre in Wapping quite a bit back in the day.

Edited by dave_bass5

Hi Alex,

Thanks for taking the time to post and for breaking cover. Yes, when I first came into the shop I said I was looking around, but the truth is I was looking for the Wal, and I like to keep my business to myself until I need to show my hand, so to speak. I waited for you to be free from dealing with all other people before I approached you, and actually waited for you to finish your calculating. I'm quite shy in these type of situations, a little like the post Clarky added. I have no idea who the Bass belongs too, but it's not an unreasonable assumption to believe it belongs to the Bass Gallery, and that you want to sell it. But, your opening gambit was very negative and made me feel like I was some kind of fraud. I'm sorry that you have people who come into your shop who waste your time, but I cannot be held accountable for the actions of others, and I feel like the cat who got kicked. But what surprised me was after you told me how expensive it was etc etc, you disappeared! I sat for a couple of minutes, stood for a little while, and then left. Had I offended you in any way, because I'm at a loss to understand? What I would have liked you to have done was to stay around and point out all the bits and bobs that I might not know myself. I thought at least you might have stayed around just to make sure I didn't scratch it of something. I'm just the same as anybody else, Alex, we all want to feel special in our buying experiences. There is a clear reason you have put a pic of yourself sitting on a Speed Triple on your site, because you look and feel great on it. Believe me, I know bikes, and know that feeling. I just wanted to feel the same way when you handed me that Wal.

Anyway, no bones broken and water under the bridge.

By the way, I hung the Wal back up very carefully, I hope this was evident when you returned

Best Wishes

wicked response mate,

you have to ask 2 questions....

Whats the hourly rate of pay to work in a music shop?

and

How many gigs do you miss out on because you have to work in a shop friday, saturday and sunday?

[quote name='thegallery' post='1364776' date='Sep 6 2011, 11:05 PM']Hi

I know we are all different, and i can only apologise again for the way you were treated by myself, I had so much to do, and i really thought that you were just in browsing as many people do. If you are ever around again, pop in and I will apologise in person. i did notice the Wal, well hung up

alex[/quote]

You should try doing a real job mate ...

Pressure ... feeling grumpy ???

I wish the only decisions I had to make in my working life was who is allowed to try a Wal.

Pathetic ...

Hi all,
Billy has asked me to close this as he feels everything has been said, and the original issue has been sorted.
Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts and for Alex for coming forward to comment.
Long may Bass Shops exist to hear their customers feedback :)

Cheers
Si