Why become a member? ×

Whats my piece of mahogany worth?

Subthumper

Hi all, I was'nt sure where to put this but as the title suggests I want to know what the value of a piece of timber is. I have been given a piece of mahogany that has been rested for about 25 years and measures approx 2'6" x 6' x 2". It is quite dark and nicely figured.(oh and bloody heavy) I'll probably never get time to make anything out of it so I was angling on either selling it or exchanging it for something I need or can use. So if any of you luthier types could give me an approximate ballpark value I would be most appreciative.
Cheers Just

[quote name='Subthumper' post='1363060' date='Sep 5 2011, 04:41 PM']Hi all, I was'nt sure where to put this but as the title suggests I want to know what the value of a piece of timber is. I have been given a piece of mahogany that has been rested for about 25 years and measures approx 2'6" x 6' x 2". It is quite dark and nicely figured.(oh and bloody heavy) I'll probably never get time to make anything out of it so I was angling on either selling it or exchanging it for something I need or can use. So if any of you luthier types could give me an approximate ballpark value I would be most appreciative.
Cheers Just[/quote]

I have no idea of value but would be interested in acquiring this. Are there any shakes or cracks in the wood? Also, do you have any pictures to further tempt me with?

[quote name='JPJ' post='1363168' date='Sep 5 2011, 06:02 PM']I have no idea of value but would be interested in acquiring this. Are there any shakes or cracks in the wood? Also, do you have any pictures to further tempt me with?[/quote]

It has no cracks or shakes. On further inspection its actually two pieces glued (very well) together approximately 50/50 lengthways. I'll get to work on some pics.

[quote name='Subthumper' post='1363178' date='Sep 5 2011, 06:08 PM']It has no cracks or shakes. On further inspection its actually two pieces glued (very well) together approximately 50/50 lengthways. I'll get to work on some pics.[/quote]

Is it already bookmatched?

I always thought teak would be an oily and heavy wood to use in luthery but this article has made me think again. I have potential access to a lot of Burmese teak and amboyna burl if I can make it to the sawmills in Myanmar next time I'm over there...

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='1370039' date='Sep 12 2011, 01:46 AM']I always thought teak would be an oily and heavy wood to use in luthery but this article has made me think again. I have potential access to a lot of Burmese teak and amboyna burl if I can make it to the sawmills in Myanmar next time I'm over there...[/quote]
I think teak has always come under the same heading as oak when it comes to instrument making. It'll probably make a really nice - if heavy - guitar/bass but because it's not swamp ash, alder or mahogany means it doesn't really figure with guitar manufacturers. Taylors pallet series guitars were made of American Oak (from a pallet!) and apparently sounded just as good as a mahogany or rosewood Taylor.

I'd go for it but be prepared to make the body small or get a wide strap to take the strain :)