Why become a member? ×

just wondering why Fender...

daz

Have produced two new 'Black Top' bases. One with two pair of Humbuckers called the Jazz bass, and one with two dual coil pickups called the P bass ? Have i gone mad or is this just wrong. Or is it perfectly normal to see dual humbucks on a Jazz bass and no humbucks on a P bass, and i have never noticed before ? ?

Edited by daz

[quote name='Foxx' post='1361432' date='Sep 3 2011, 11:44 PM']Is it my eyes, or does that precision have jazz-width neck too? :)[/quote]

No your eyes are perfectly fine that's exactly what they have. I tried them both at Guitar Guitar Epsom a couple of weeks ago, check this: the one with the pbass body has a jazz neck width with the two 'buckers the one with the Jazz body has 2 Pbass pickups and a precision width neck, a complete mix and match of horribleness and they both sounded proper sh|te (to me at least)

As usual the Fender design department are bereft of good ideas and the management are found wanting. It's probably the last combination they've left to try out. It shouldn't sound bad per se but they've also probably spent the least they think they can get away with on the components.

It's Fender's customers fault. They seem to be quite happy to buy any old stuff that gets produced so why would you expect Fender to do anything else?

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1361462' date='Sep 4 2011, 12:53 AM']No your eyes are perfectly fine that's exactly what they have. I tried them both at Guitar Guitar Epsom a couple of weeks ago, check this: the one with the pbass body has a jazz neck width with the two 'buckers the one with the Jazz body has 2 Pbass pickups and a precision width neck, a complete mix and match of horribleness and they both sounded proper sh|te (to me at least)[/quote]

They put a P-neck on the Jazz bass? Seriously?

I was actually going to buy one of the jazz-bodied, p-pickuped ones provided it had a jazz neck. I was going to buy it new as well, the only Fender I would bother to do so with...

Love P Pickups, not a fan of the body shape, and hate the neck more than words can say, like the J body shape and neck but the pickups are a let down...

That's seriously fecking irritating, now I'll just try and pick up one second hand in a few years time and change the necks...

[quote name='chris_b' post='1361609' date='Sep 4 2011, 10:42 AM']As usual the Fender design department are bereft of good ideas and the management are found wanting. It's probably the last combination they've left to try out.

It's Fender's customers fault. They seem to be quite happy to buy any old stuff that gets produced so why would you expect Fender to do anything else?[/quote]
Totally 100% this.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1361462' date='Sep 4 2011, 12:53 AM']No your eyes are perfectly fine that's exactly what they have. I tried them both at Guitar Guitar Epsom a couple of weeks ago, check this: the one with the pbass body has a jazz neck width with the two 'buckers the one with the Jazz body has 2 Pbass pickups and a precision width neck, a complete mix and match of horribleness and they both sounded proper sh|te (to me at least)[/quote]
According to the Fender website (which I realise may well not be reliable) the Blacktop Precision has a standard 1.625" nut and the Blacktop Jazz has a standard 1.5" nut.

[quote name='dc2009' post='1361617' date='Sep 4 2011, 10:58 AM']They put a P-neck on the Jazz bass? Seriously?

I was actually going to buy one of the jazz-bodied, p-pickuped ones provided it had a jazz neck. I was going to buy it new as well, the only Fender I would bother to do so with...

Love P Pickups, not a fan of the body shape, and hate the neck more than words can say, like the J body shape and neck but the pickups are a let down...

That's seriously fecking irritating, now I'll just try and pick up one second hand in a few years time and change the necks...[/quote]

this exactly... when I first saw the jazz I instantly wanted to try it out, but I really don't get on with p bass necks. THat is quite disappointing to hear it is a pbass neck on a jazz :)

oh well, will probably end up trying it out when I get a chance anyway.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1361609' date='Sep 4 2011, 10:42 AM']It's Fender's customers fault. They seem to be quite happy to buy any old stuff that gets produced so why would you expect Fender to do anything else?[/quote]

OTOH, all of the big guitar and bass manufacturers are known for perhaps only 2 (or 3) really successful products. The numerous variations produced never seem to have a big impact on sales. Is this the customers' fault? Probably....

Anyone remember the Strats with humbuckers that Fender made in the early 80s? They didn't sell either...

Definitely the design department producing the only thing they had left. Fender seem to be a bit like Gibson (although much less eccentric) with their new products, they bring somerhing new out for the sake of it being new. It's longevity is generally short and I can't think of many 'new' instruments that have been produced for more than 5 years beyond original models. I expect they will be bought by Fender fans that will focus more on the brand than what the bass actually does.

I think that Fender stick to tried and trusted shapes,namely Jazz and Precision because they are safe.The same reason for mixing and matching pickups between the two.
Fender have tried other designs in the past,which have proved largely unsuccessfull.A lot of people still aspire to a USA Fender of one type or another.If you think that Fender is uninspired,look at Harley Davidson,another world brand,the same old parts bin specials with upgrades for over 50 years