Why become a member? ×

Bi-ampabling my cab.

MythSte

Hey there guys,

Ive just recieved my Schroeder (Hoorah!) and its bloody brilliant. I mainly noticed how musical the horn is, which i havnt often found. However i think id like to get even more out of it by making the cab bi-ampable with my GK 1001RBII

Does anyone know anybody that would be able to do this for me?

Thanks,

Stephen

Edited by ste_m3

[quote name='Stewart' post='157398' date='Mar 14 2008, 01:45 PM']OBBM makes up suitable cables, so I'd imagine he could also supply an internal loom to your drivers...[/quote]

Is that all it would take? Thinking about it, of course thats all it would take :)

Hmm...

It's not all that simple - depends on how the crossover is sorted etc. I'd get in touch with Schroeder. Also, you'd need a 4 pole speakon or a second jack to connect it up. You would need to 'unwire' the cab internally!

Edited by G-bitch

Besides, all my experiments with bi-amping ended up sounding either no different or worse than the full range signal - I strongly suspect that this will ring true for most modern cabs unless they have been specifically designed to work that way (like GK's).

Yeah well the schroeder has an access hatch on the back so it shouldnt be too hard. And i wouldnt need to worry about a crossover at all would i? The GK does that all on its own as far as i know. So should it just be a matter of getting a 4 pole speakon in there and then wiring the woofers off one set and the tweeter off the other? (You know, lehmens terms and that!)

And also, i think it would be nice to be able to control the tweetwe via the front of my amp rather than moving the cab etc, and the woofer and tweeter channels both have a seperate high cut so it would be a nice experiment!

Edited by ste_m3

[quote name='Merton' post='157457' date='Mar 14 2008, 02:48 PM']Jens Lehmans terms? :)[/quote]

I had a really bad feeling i'd done that after i'd typed it! Ive never actually seen Layman written down before my little google search then!

Every days a school day!

I prefer Jens Lehmans terms, more fun given he's a nutter thesedays whenever he's between the sticks for the Ars. Totally off topic, but bring on Liverpool :)

As for biamping, don't bother. I've not done it myself but I've heard it being done and it adds nothing to the sound IMHO. Think the GK HF amp is for a mid/high driver rather thana tweeter anyway isn't it?

The GK tweeter amp is highpassed at 5kHz which is probably a few kHz higher than the crossover in your Schroeder. If I were you I'd ask Jorg what the crossover point is because if it is as far apart as I expect then you'll probably end up with a big sonic gap between woofer and tweeter output, which rarely sounds good.

Alex

[quote name='ste_m3' post='157530' date='Mar 14 2008, 04:11 PM']Only a fool goes against Mr. Clabers Suggestions! :)[/quote]

Ah, my mind games appear to be working. Now whilst I have control, would anyone like to give me a gig? Unfortunately our music doesn't fit into any tidy genre and we won't bully our friends to make up the numbers in the audience because they've already had a decade or two of that...

Alex

I think I'm right in saying that the GK head has a seperate amp for the tweeter, and the crossover of frequebcies is sorted out in the head. So, the crossover in your new cab won't be needed. You'd need to get a 4-way lead made up, in order to link the GK's 50w amp section direct to the horn, and not go thru the crossover in the cab.