Why become a member? ×

P-bass convert.

lee4

One pick-up two knobs and four strings - the magic has to come from YOU!

Sometimes you just can't beat simplicity.

I acquired a cheap and cheerful Encore P just before Christmas and now I'm gassing for a Bob Glaub (although it'll end up being a pimped SX lol).

[quote name='clauster' post='157955' date='Mar 15 2008, 01:15 PM']One pick-up two knobs and four strings - the magic has to come from YOU!

Sometimes you just can't beat simplicity.

I acquired a cheap and cheerful Encore P just before Christmas and now I'm gassing for a Bob Glaub (although it'll end up being a pimped SX lol).[/quote]
I agree about the simplicity.Now all I have to do is convince the guitar player to ditch his pedal board(8 pedals and breeding fast)and just plug straight into his amp :)

All the other basses are just imitations! :huh:

I like other basses but I love Precisions. No fancy EQ. Just big chunky simplicity. They just sound right to me. I think every bass player should try one at some stage. Whatever the gig a P bass can do the job.

Plus they always look sooo cool! :)

[attachment=6536:Ben_Cullum_p_bass.jpg]

i played a gig last friday & used my MIM P' for the first time live & it really cut through-the whole damn room was shaking.in fact i much prefered it to my MIA Jazz,which is my main bass.
so i rekon its time my jazz was sold & a real nice P' took its place.

[quote name='lee4' post='161045' date='Mar 20 2008, 08:42 PM']Just been offered an MIM P.Any good?[/quote]

check my post above yours mate,mine's an absolute beaut'
it seriously kicked my mia jazz's arse at a gig last week
so much so i've sold my jazz.
one thing though try a few of 'em as quality varies quite a bit,
but get a good one & you'll love it.

Edited by artisan

I must admit I'm a recent convert too. Have owned imitations over the years and wasn't particularly struck by them and seemed to settle on my JV J for my covers band. Got a JV P about a year ago but didn't really gig it in anger until a couple of months ago and never looked back. Odd thing is, they don't sound all that exciting on their own but as someone else here said, they really come alive in a live band situation.

Edited by Sharkfinger

[quote name='Sharkfinger' post='161718' date='Mar 22 2008, 10:48 AM']I must admit I'm a recent convert too. Have owned imitations over the years and wasn't particularly struck by them and seemed to settle on my JV J for my covers band. Got a JV P about a year ago but didn't really gig it in anger until a couple of months ago and never looked back. Odd thing is, they don't sound all that exciting on their own but as someone else here said, they really come alive in a live band situation.[/quote]

I'm definitely hankering for one again, now. Over the last 35 years, I've had natural, black, and sunburst P-basses, so this time I'd love a white one, preferably with a maple neck. Might put up a Wanted post soon!

I have never found P basses especially comfortable to play or wear, and I find the sound 'OK' but nothing that excites me much, and for the level of simplicity I am dumbfounded by the prices of some of them!

Great feeling to have found 'the one' though, isn't it!

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' post='161733' date='Mar 22 2008, 11:16 AM']I have never found P basses especially comfortable to play or wear, and I find the sound 'OK' but nothing that excites me much, and for the level of simplicity I am dumbfounded by the prices of some of them![/quote]

I agree with that.

I've only recently got a p-bass and found the sound from the bass direct into an amp or studio desk is fantastic, the sound just fits right in.
Perfect frequencies for engineers to fit into the mix....I just can't put it down :)

Cheers Leo!

I loved the feel of my fender p bass, it had the best neck I'd ever played, perfect string spacing, only thing that didnt cut it for me is I like to throw in the odd slap and pop here and there in my playing, not to the point of overplaying but the P bass just wasnt cutting it, not enough midrange or snap, so I had to go down the jazz route, I still miss that feel of the p bass though. Probbably should of had a jazz pup routed into it.

I've always been a fan. At the moment I have a Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub and a Fender '51 Reissue.

When I was discussing the spec of my new ADC custom build with Alan after the North West Bash I had one main question: "Will I be able to make it sound like a P-Bass?"

The Fender has a solo single coil p/up while the Glaub is loaded with a Lindy Fralin - an astonishingly good p/up.

The split coil P-type p/up also have the added advantage of being hum cancelling. One of my gigs is to play gospel in church every Sunday morning and the church is fitted with a hearing aid induction loop. If you've ever tried playing a bass with single coil non-humbucking pickups (like a jazz for example) with an induction loop present then you'll know what I'm on about. Uncontrolable feedback no matter where you stand or what you do - they're a nightmare in that scenario.

But a P-Bass? Silent, feedbackless, fullsome bass. See? Even God prefers them.

here they are - God not in shot.
[attachment=6883:scoop_precision.JPG] [attachment=6884:naked_scoop_4_.jpg] [attachment=6885:naked_scoop_1_.jpg]

[quote name='ped' post='161733' date='Mar 22 2008, 11:16 AM']I have never found P basses especially comfortable to play or wear, and I find the sound 'OK' but nothing that excites me much, and for the level of simplicity I am dumbfounded by the prices of some of them![/quote]

That's pretty much it for me too. I hope to try a few at the bash to get a proper feel for them.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='163798' date='Mar 26 2008, 02:49 PM']Loving that Bob Glaub Scoop :)[/quote]

Thanks NGH.

I bought it about two years ago on Ebay. The vendor was a Lakland endorsee from a 2nd division signed rock band, the name of which escapes me. He had a US Glaub as his main bass and this one as his backup. The band had lost its record deal and he was paring down his gear for some extra cash. As a consequence of it being an endorsee's bass it had been tweaked slightly through the Chicago custom shop and arrived with a p/up cover and a few other extra bits and pieces, including a non standard tortie plate.

It's always looked cooler with the pup cover on, tbh, and that earlier shot was taken on a night I was gigging with it off to see if it made a significant difference. It didn't so it's back on again now and looking VERY cool.

[attachment=6906:myglaub_1_.jpg]

That's the original EBay shot that attracted me to it.

Great bass.

[quote name='dmz' post='157048' date='Mar 13 2008, 10:13 PM']Plus - when you stand your P-bass next to your amp - it doesn't fall over like a Jazz bass does..........

That's why Jaco's is so scarred :)[/quote]

Weird, my Jazz bass stands up much much better then my P-Bass (which, to keep the essence of the thread going, I LOVE lol).

Si

Edited by Sibob

Leo Fender,a man who did not play bass or guitar,came up with the design for the Precision,the most copied bass ever.
Luck,skill,divine inspiration?Makes you wonder(or perhaps not,especially if you have anything better to do.).